PDA

View Full Version : ASV clutch lever on Electric start

BeltSlipper
03-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Question to all you innovative people. Has anyone figured out how to use ASV clutches on a electric start 450r? I'm wanting to put one on my son's bike, but I forgot about the electric start button.
Darn I hate getting old. I forget the simple things.

d3ktrix
03-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Most people replace the start button on the stock control blob with a YZ kill button or something similar.

It can be wired right to the stock starter wires.

Heres a picture of the YZ Kill button.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/d3ktrix/d1730ec1.jpg

I use one as the kill button on my 05.

BeltSlipper
03-26-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
Most people replace the start button on the stock control blob with a YZ kill button or something similar.

It can be wired right to the stock starter wires.

Heres a picture of the YZ Kill button.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/d3ktrix/d1730ec1.jpg

I use one as the kill button on my 05.

Excellent idea. But I have a question. You use this for a replacement of the stock 3 way kill switch? If so, how did you rewire it? or can you eliminate the 3 way kill switch all together?
But thanks for the great idea.

d3ktrix
03-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by BeltSlipper
Excellent idea. But I have a question. You use this for a replacement of the stock 3 way kill switch? If so, how did you rewire it? or can you eliminate the 3 way kill switch all together?
But thanks for the great idea.

Its really only a 1 way kill switch, you can just move it in 2 different directions to achieve the same short.

You take the 2 wires from the stock starter button or stock kill button and wire them to the 2 wires on the new button.

03-27-2008, 06:29 AM
i had an asv clutch lever on my 450er with the stock starter button and kill switch...there was no issues at all...

what kind of problems are you worried about?

BeltSlipper
03-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Well I would really like to eliminate the stock kill switch all together. And use the idea of d3ktrix for the starter button.
I don't want to have two buttons of the same type on the left side of the handlebars. And really don't want that kill switch at all.
Unless someone could give me a good reason to keep it. I see no use for it, if you have a teather kill switch.

Here is the reason I want to eliminate it. In my son's last National race. He was leading by 2-3 quad lengths. Came around a corner, hit that darn kill switch by accident, and ended up in 3rd. OH was he pissed at me. And I've never heard the end of it. Thus the reason to eliminate it.

03-27-2008, 12:17 PM
i understand...i have done the same thing myself...the way you posed the question, you made it seem as though you thought it would not work unless you did that

i went a step further and added a hotstart to mine, which is the reason that i sold the asv lever and bought a hetricks lever with the hotstart. my starter button is now on my throttle side...

BeltSlipper
03-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Ok, now I really feel stupid!! How do you add a hotstart to the quad?
Why can't we just keep things simple. LOL I am way out of my box here. You young kids make me feel really stupid.
What is the advantage of the hotstart?

03-27-2008, 03:32 PM
i just bought another carb from 04 crf450r dirt bike...it is a 41mm as opposed to the stock 40mm fcr carb. although the stock carb can be drilled and tapped to add the hot start to it. i am not how to do it, but i know it has been done.

the advantage of having the hot start is my 450r is a pain to start when it is hot...i haven't had a chance to see if this change helped with that any because had a chance to dial in the jetting because of work and the weather.