PDA

View Full Version : Will Not fire Up

chassisbuilder
03-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Hey guys, I am new here, but am in need of some help. My wifes cousin is the owner of a 2006 TRX450. He brought it by my house to see if I could figure out what is wrong with it. It turns over but will not fire up.
here is what I know as of right now.
Apparently he had starter motor problems, and ever since the new starter was installed it hasn't ran. I aslo noticed that the ignition wires directly from the switch were cut and then reconnected with spade connectors. He had no clue as to who had done this, and keep in mind this was purchased new from a dealer.
I am getting fuel and spark, and it appears to have good compression. When it spins over, there is a strange sound coming from appears to be the starter motor. I have yet to investigate further into this noise.
I did notice however, that when the motor is turning over, the exhaust is sucking in instead of blowing. It is strong enough to suck my palm to the exhaust. Apparently he has had an aftermarket cam installed by the dealer and the bike had been running since that install, but it seems strange to me that the exhaust is sucking. maybe its just my lack of knowledge with bike engines. I was affraid that by some chance the cam jumped timing, and bent the valves, but after removing the cylinder head all appears to be fine.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this thing not to fire? It sounds like its trying, but then it appears to fall on its face after a few rotations and then tries to fire again.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also, can the head gasket be reused. I know its a metal gasket, but was not sure if its a throw away item or not.

Thanks in advance,

CraigS