PDA

View Full Version : jetting/ air filter

realchosen1
03-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Question for anybody who can help... because just about everyone knows more than me when it comes to these little machines
I modified the stock snorkel to hold the afteremarket k and N under the hood out of harms way.. However quad backfires no and is losing power... Plug is black so I do know that means to rich... However dont know what size to got to...
Before when i ran snorkle with stock air filter boged at top.. With k an n also a little bog not nears as bad..
No with my Orange county fabrication... machine backfires and sputters... On my way know to get new plugs...
just looking for some insight
Thanks

realchosen1
03-26-2008, 01:59 PM

mudder700
03-26-2008, 03:58 PM
try drop a couple of main jet sizes and see what your plug looks like then, just don't go to lean or you will smoke the top end of the motor, small changes, also why not bolt the filter right onto the carb, you have the outerwear already, it would definately get all the air you need then

realchosen1
03-26-2008, 04:20 PM
because my son wont stay out of the water... Already had to replace top end once because of that...
Sticks out to much, caught a puddle and I was screwed

realchosen1
03-26-2008, 06:02 PM
My guess is this is whats causing backfire and loss of power. Exhaust at head was loose and booth springs where gone...
Will have to pick up springs and see if that does the trick...

tom450r
03-26-2008, 09:06 PM
the exhasut may be your prob. but i made the same thing for my air filter a year ago & have never had a prob. since i've found the right jetting. sorry i don't remember what that jetting was.

Lightninn
03-31-2008, 11:50 AM
A loose exhaust will cause backfiring. Also an ehaust leak can and will cause top end damage.

Have you replaced the springs yet? How's it running now?

realchosen1
03-31-2008, 06:44 PM
changing springs did help... got rid of back fire.. Just curious had quad on a stand and when i put full throttle it seemed liked it laged a bit at top... is that just part of the 2 stroke power band of these little bikes? It was more pronounced with my butt on it..

Lightninn
03-31-2008, 07:42 PM
Personally I would install a new spark plug, run it like you did, and then pull the plug and inspect it. It sounds to me like it is jetted wrong for the new intake.