PDA

View Full Version : Starting issues need help?!?!

mad440
03-26-2008, 01:19 PM
When i go to start my quad everything works persay. but more than half the time it seems like my starter or something on my stator side doesnt catch and turn my motor over?. My question is: is there a one way bearing or something on my crank on that side that could have gone out that would cause my starter not to engage the crank or turn my motor over?

BrandonV
03-26-2008, 08:21 PM
x2 mine does that every now and then but not enough for me to worry about it or fix it :D but it would be nice to know whats causing it

BigBore24
03-26-2008, 08:59 PM
yes there are one way bearings in there. the starter connects to the starter gear through a couple smaller gears. then the starter gear connects to the flywheel be the one way bearings. just as the name implies, they will spin freely one way and lock in the other engaging with the flywheel to turn the motor over. the bearings and retainer are called a starter clutch. i have had to replace my flywheel and starter gear and bearings twice now (although i bought used ones on ebay:( $) due to the inner and outer races for the bearings being destroyed when it comes apart while cranking. right now mine actually doesnt engage at times and you can hear the starter turning but the motor isnt. may not be a huge deal. but when you get some spare time you may want to check the condition of the bearings. if the bearing surfaces on the flywheel and starter gear are still in good shape you will just need the bearings and they are like $55. a lot cheaper than buying the whole deal.

mad440
03-31-2008, 12:44 PM
Wow twice already! well thank you for the great advice, i ordered a flywheel puller and will start tareing into my motor when the weather breaks i dont have a heated garage lol but if it is just
the bearings 55 bucks is not that bad.