PDA

View Full Version : Question about YFZ

Z-Rider86
03-26-2008, 01:04 PM
I am looking to get a YFZ this summer, and it seems that there are a lot of 05 YFZ450 in the paper and online. Is there a flaw in the 05 that would make them so avaliable,like the frame issues the KFX/Z-400 had in 03? I just want to have as much background as possible b4 I get one.

06YFZ450SE
03-26-2008, 02:10 PM
The only things I could think of is that the 05 had 439cc and if you take the lights off the battery would drain down if you didnt have the kit.I think the back brake master cylinder was in a odd place.They dont have the oil mod like the 07+ do. I have an 06 and love it to death and I dont have the oil mod and havent had a problem with oiling.

jshtex
03-26-2008, 02:23 PM
There were some improvements between 04 and 05 but when the 06 came out Yamaha reported that there were 80 changes between the two. So there are some reasons to go with the 06 and up.

The 05 "may" have some electrical issues depending on the bike, but if you can get one cheap enough it is still a good bike.

#17YFZRACER
03-26-2008, 05:26 PM
they are all good bikes. if $ allows get an 06+(preferably 07+) they are great:D

squadie
03-26-2008, 05:56 PM
The biggest concern I would have is how hard has the engine been run, using what oil, changed how often. It's a high revving engine. The crank bearings on my 05 went last year requiring a new crank. The YFZ forum had several posts of people with similar issues including wrist pin issues. But my buddy has an 05, has ridden as much as me, and has had no problems. I change my oil after every other ride. Have since switched to a better oil.

The 06 (or newer) is a better choice; lot of good improvements. And the 07 and newer added an oil pump to lubricate the wrist pin.

Z-Rider86
03-26-2008, 05:59 PM
A guy a couple miles down the road is selling his 05. Plastics are in great shape has rims, tires, HMF Silencer, and Jetting asking $4500 o.b.o I would just like to here from the owners of YFZ's b4 I sell my quad and buy another....

06YFZ450SE
03-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Z-Rider86
A guy a couple miles down the road is selling his 05. Plastics are in great shape has rims, tires, HMF Silencer, and Jetting asking $4500 o.b.o I would just like to here from the owners of YFZ's b4 I sell my quad and buy another....

I wouldnt pick another quad..If I get another one if will be another YFZ450.

#17YFZRACER
03-26-2008, 09:09 PM
same here, when i get a new one its going to be a new fuel injected yfz(when it comes out). but right now im more than happy with my yfz. not getting rid of it until i have too.

Knoxy
03-27-2008, 08:14 AM
i agree the YFZ is one of the all around best bikes in my opinion. i have heard about the electrical problems with the 05's and a simple solution is to ride with your lights on all the time to prevent battery drainage.... it has worked for me thus far. i have only ever had to charge the battery once!

i have also heard about the wrist pin thing! check in on that.

but before you buy it check all the bearings, especially axel bearings in the carrier! make sure that there is no play in the axle or you will be up S**T creek buying a couple bucks worth of bearings!

anything else can be easily cleaned up or slightly modified to fit your riding style. i bought mine used and the thing was beautifully taken care of. hopefully you will get the same! good luck

TheNewn
03-30-2008, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Z-Rider86

To me that price seems too high. 3500 could be an ok deal.

You could get an 06 for that, and they're much better...