PDA

View Full Version : GNCC Racing

Knoxy
03-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Hey Guys!
so i have been riding for close to ten years now and i have always wanted to get into racing! however the only type of racing that im really interested in is GNCC.
there is a bit of it that goes on only a few hours from where i live, and i think it would be awesome to get into it now since im 20 and not like 35+

anyways, what im writing this forum is to see what you guys think about S**T i should do to my quad to make sure that it makes it through these sometimes gruesome races.... and eventually one day potentially winning one!

things that im thinking are;
new a- arms
swing arm
shocks
steering stem
handlebars
Possibly motor overhaul
and all new bearings all the way around
as well as possibly rims!
what do you guys think?!?!?!?

any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
see signature for current mods!

thanks again :huh

jshtex
03-26-2008, 02:27 PM
IMO the first step in racing GNCC is finishing one.

You can do all those things to your quad but maybe the best first step is to go to one and race the stock class just to get your feet wet.

After that pick suspension over performance, and pick durability over all.

You might want to check the stock class rules to see what you can do to a bike to run it. But there are some fast folks in that class, like all the other GNCC classes.

#17YFZRACER
03-26-2008, 04:40 PM
if i was bashing my quad over rocks and trees and stuff id want an aluminum full body skid plate. your cases will not like rocks at all:D

cosinostra
03-26-2008, 04:58 PM
I agree,, run the stock class first..

Spend some money on good tires, a steering stabilizer and anything else that will make your quad more comfortable to ride. Hangaurds, kill switch, re jet the carb if you have one and deffinatly a skid plate or two. It protects the underside and also keeps you from getting hung up on stuff.
Spend a ton of time dialing in your stock shocks and save up for a nice set when you move up in class.
If you have at least a 400, then it's already plenty fast.. Most if not all races are dead engine starts so it doesn't matter how much HP you have if you can't get it to fire up ...

If you do get a pipe, make sure its not too loud.... Check the rules before you buy anything.... Good luck..

Oh yeah,,,, and 35 isn't old,,,

Knoxy
03-27-2008, 08:06 AM
thanks guys
i really appreciate the input.
ill definately have to look into the rules because i already have a bunch of aftermarket stuff done to my quad. luckily i kept all the original parts so i can possibly go back enough to make it stock.
i will def look into the full body skid plate because i know the A-arms will take a beating for sure!! lol

does anybody race GNCC in the Alberta Canada area. im looking for a bit more information!

thanks to all that replied!

coryatver
03-27-2008, 08:28 AM
First I would put the stock rev box back on you do not want an agressive power curve or let the motor rev higher and also take off the nerf bars they just cause you to get hung up on stuff. Also if your pro design filter is foam take of the prefilter they get wet and clogged and choke out your motor. These things I speak from experience if you don't beleive me then you can learn for yourself im just trying to save you the trouble.

Then get a chassis skid plate and rear dual sprocket guard/rotor guard. Don't get a-arm skid plates they are not needed and are just added weight and will fill with mud and cause problems.

The stock swingarm will work great no need to replace them even the pros run a stock swingarm. The stock a-arms will work fine unless you really get serious and want to spend the money you can get +1's and offset front wheels it helps with bump steer a little bit.

Send all of your shocks to GT Thunder, or Derisi racing and get them revalved and resprung and get a rear linkage.

Steering stem and Handlebars are personal preferences if you are comfortable with what you got stick with it. Steering stabilzers are awesom e if you can offord one they are a must have don't go cheap get one of the 500 dollar ones like precision the stick ones are junk and will last one race and need rebuilt and also junk can get in there and jam your steering.

You definitly want to go into one of these races with good bearings, a fresh oil and air filter and a motor that doesn't need rebuilt. Good luck and have fun. Don't ride over your head and you will do good.

stic
03-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
First I would put the stock rev box back on you do not want an agressive power curve or let the motor rev higher and also take off the nerf bars they just cause you to get hung up on stuff. Also if your pro design filter is foam take of the prefilter they get wet and clogged and choke out your motor. These things I speak from experience if you don't beleive me then you can learn for yourself im just trying to save you the trouble.

Then get a chassis skid plate and rear dual sprocket guard/rotor guard. Don't get a-arm skid plates they are not needed and are just added weight and will fill with mud and cause problems.

The stock swingarm will work great no need to replace them even the pros run a stock swingarm. The stock a-arms will work fine unless you really get serious and want to spend the money you can get +1's and offset front wheels it helps with bump steer a little bit.

Send all of your shocks to GT Thunder, or Derisi racing and get them revalved and resprung and get a rear linkage.

Steering stem and Handlebars are personal preferences if you are comfortable with what you got stick with it. Steering stabilzers are awesom e if you can offord one they are a must have don't go cheap get one of the 500 dollar ones like precision the stick ones are junk and will last one race and need rebuilt and also junk can get in there and jam your steering.

You definitly want to go into one of these races with good bearings, a fresh oil and air filter and a motor that doesn't need rebuilt. Good luck and have fun. Don't ride over your head and you will do good.
listen to this guy...he knows.
hes the gncc racer from hell

Unverfehrt400ex
04-03-2008, 10:40 PM
i'd say skid plates, and quad protection first. make sure all bearings are good. sprockets and chain in great shape and just the basics to get ya through the first race. if ya like it then look into suspension. i just recently got done running my first race. absolutely loved it. just have fun with it and good luck man.

Simon MX49
04-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Definately replace all your bearings and bushings. I let mine go to long, and lemme tell you, worst headache ever.

I agree with the stock CDI, the agressive power curve is hard to hold onto for 2 hours.

As for suspension, I cant talk, I love my JB and PEP's, but theyre plus 2's, with stock offset rims, so I gotta really watch in the real tight stuff. I'd say plus one's, with 4+1 offset Hiper's in the front, and I'd match it with the Hiper's in the rear. Stock swingarm, no need to replace it. I personally would go with Fox Floats, or Ohlins (they're really showing they have one of the best shocks on the market with Team FRE KTM)

Most off all I would say :muscle: CONDITION :muscle: I just started racing GNCC's this year, and Im learning the hard way the the abrupt power I've always loved on the MX track aint worth **** in the woods. Alot of cardio, and alot of endurance lifting is best

And skidplates, frame and swingarm. I've made it through ST. Clairsville, Steele Creek and Big Buck without em, but I would never recommend trying it for yourself, and I'm just waitin till I get the money to buy the full set

Lesrace82
04-18-2008, 09:15 PM
http://a910.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/31/l_f4b814ae68ec30998e261e2031c1917d.jpg

Theres the swing arm protection I use. I made the sprocket guard, similar to GTThunders, but its able to clean itself out. and I use GTthunder rotor skid. Lose almost no ground clearance, versus the full swing arms skids that act like shovels to get you stuck half the time.

AJ's Blaster
04-20-2008, 09:23 AM
i agree with what cory says but DO NOT take off the nerfbars. i rarely ever get caught by them. but i couldn't even begin to count how many times they have saved me from breaking an ankle. they also come in handy if you slide sideways into a tree they take the blow not your leg. and if anyone doesn't agree with this just look at all the top pro racers bikes, they all run nerfs.

coryatver
04-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by AJ's Blaster
i agree with what cory says but DO NOT take off the nerfbars. i rarely ever get caught by them. but i couldn't even begin to count how many times they have saved me from breaking an ankle. they also come in handy if you slide sideways into a tree they take the blow not your leg. and if anyone doesn't agree with this just look at all the top pro racers bikes, they all run nerfs.

no they don't. Actually I think majority of them don't and they probley would even get paid to run them.

Simon MX49
04-21-2008, 08:23 AM
It'd be a cold day in HELL before you catch me without my nerfbars. I've never got caught up by them, I've smashed on a few trees, but had they not been there the peg wouldve caught and I wouldve been ROLLIN!!!

Borich doesnt run em, he's the only pro I can think of that doesnt run them.

Knoxy
04-21-2008, 08:41 AM
yeah... im definately going to stick with the nerfs.. your right they have saved my *** more than a few times and they protect you and your bike when sliding sideways!

i like that chain guard im going to have to rig something like that up! nice!

thanks for all the help guys!

i cant wait to be sitting at the start line with all of you!

Simon MX49
04-21-2008, 09:02 AM
16-19C on a blue YFZ(obviously) with a JB and PEP front end, cant miss me :D

I'll be in Millfield, and hopefully the rest of the races after that