PDA

View Full Version : Tacoma Frame Recall?

TGW_400ex
03-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Has anyone heard about this or done it? I called my local Toyota garage about it because my frame has holes rusted in it. They said something about they give you 150% kbb value. Has anyone done it?

rundrave
03-26-2008, 06:51 AM
Here is the info I found on this:

We thought that we should bring to your attention a customer support program we’re announcing today to extend warranty coverage on the frames of Toyota Tacoma trucks from model year 1995 through 2000.

We’ve received reports that on a small number of Tacomas, frames may develop corrosion that goes beyond the normal surface rust that’s commonly found on metal after years of exposure. This corrosion may extend to actual perforation of the frame’s metal.

In response, we’re extending the rust-perforation warranty covering these trucks for a period of 15 years from each vehicle’s original date of purchase, with no mileage limitation, for corrosion that results in perforation of the vehicle’s frame material.

If you own one of these vehicles and you find that its frame may exhibit excessive corrosion to the point of metal perforation, we suggest that you take it to a Toyota dealership when you receive your notification letter so that it can be inspected. If inspection confirms frame corrosion damage perforation, we will either repair the vehicle or repurchase it.

Keep in mind that this is not a recall . Rather, it’s an example of our commitment to our owners.

You are correct on the buyback, and they are going off the KBB EXCELLENT condition. Also before anyone goes out and starts buying used Tacoma's just to make $$$ you better think twice because they are also requiring that you own the vehicle before March of 2008.

LT250_JOE
03-26-2008, 05:34 PM
I work for a Toyota dealer and they will give you 150% value of truck.( + 1,000 down for a new truck or 500 down for a certified used truck.) But they do send out a factory rep to inspect vehicle and it has to have irrepairable frame damage.

TGW_400ex
03-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by LT250_JOE
I work for a Toyota dealer and they will give you 150% value of truck.( + 1,000 down for a new truck or 500 down for a certified used truck.) But they do send out a factory rep to inspect vehicle and it has to have irrepairable frame damage.

It must not be much because behind my local dealership there are already 13 there and some look in better shape than my truck. This sound too good to be true from what I typed in on KBB I should get twelve grand for a 99 ext 4x4 2.7L.

D-7#61-450r
03-28-2008, 12:32 PM
I have said it before and hear is proof about Toyota. Knowbody stands behind their product like they do. most manufacture's would just laugh at this situation and try and sell you a new vehicle for full book price.

rundrave
03-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Your right that is standing behind your product. The big 3 would have been out of bussiness years ago it they offered this.

LT250_JOE
03-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by D-7#61-450r
I have said it before and hear is proof about Toyota. Knowbody stands behind their product like they do. most manufacture's would just laugh at this situation and try and sell you a new vehicle for full book price.

They absolutely stand by their product!! They are pushing their way to the top and this is one reason why. It kinda sucks for the used to be big three, but they dug their own grave.

LT250_JOE
03-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex
It must not be much because behind my local dealership there are already 13 there and some look in better shape than my truck. This sound too good to be true from what I typed in on KBB I should get twelve grand for a 99 ext 4x4 2.7L.

I am in the central atlantic toyota district, and they have only bought back 4 trucks so far. The new york district is going to get f-ed because that includes all of New Jersey. Those trucks take a beating from all that sand.

rustyATV
03-29-2008, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by LT250_JOE
They are pushing their way to the top

And that's part of the problem; they're pushing, rather than rising, and starting to miss things. They've already had recalls on the last generation Tacoma.

Toyota needs to worry about being #1 so much as they need to worry about what people recognize them for, and let it just happen.