PDA

View Full Version : couple questions.

DementeD
03-25-2008, 09:28 PM
I just got a 400ex the other day and i want to just do some minor things like change the oil..so my first question is what oil should i use?? also i want to get some lube for the chain..once again what do u recommend.

i have been out of the "scene" for a loooonnnngg time atleast 7yrs and i always rode 2 stroke dirt bikes..so now im getting back into it and dont remember/know much about 4stroke atv's :D

also i only paid 1750 for a 2000 400ex with nerf bars/white bros e2 slip on/itp rims and tires/fly handle bars/ac front bumper..not a bad deal imo? everything is very good runs great definitely has some balls...nothin more then i need..but id like some advice on things to do as far as maintenance and such..

the only thing i know to be wrong is the bearings in the rear end (the back wheels shake a lil when the bike is lifted) other then that everything seems great..so just through me some knowledge plz ..thanks :)

buster024
03-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Welcome to the site bro. As far as oil, I know a lot of people use different things, but I use Honda GN4 10w-40 SJ.
As far as the chain, some will say regular ol' wd40 will work fine for ya. I have some Siloklene product, and it works real well. Save yourself a ton of headaches later, and buy a grunge brush.
http://www.motosport.com/offroad/product/GRUNGE-BRUSH/?prodId=101490&sMMY=

DementeD
03-25-2008, 11:05 PM
THANKS. finally someone responded after only 10 views :D

i think imma run up to the store tomorrow to get oil etc.

also just to note i live in Fl so its already hittin 80+ F

drew416ex
03-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Yeah any oil made for 4-stroke atv/motorcylces will work. I like running 20w50 in the summer in mine though. 10w40 gets kinda thin around here. I like maxima chain wax. I have used wd-40 but I prefer the maxima.