PDA

View Full Version : Dialing in Ohlins

dono nateeng
03-25-2008, 09:14 PM
How does one dial in the Ohlins on the KTM quads? I hear dialing them for just you is much better than riding on them stock.

Thanks Fellas!

Colby@C&DRacing
03-26-2008, 08:06 AM
Depending on your weight the stock spring are pretty heavy. I would recommend changing the rear spring at the very least to improve the ride quality

420yfz
03-26-2008, 08:32 AM
i slowed the rebound down on the rear, front is a lil choppy at slow speeds, but great at high speed. 18 rears seem to get rid of some body roll

03-26-2008, 07:20 PM
this guy at rocket ron's racing suspension has the ktm shocks figured out, give him a email, at rocketronracing@yahoo.com, he did mine, and i couldn't believe the difference. tell him i sent you and he'll hook you up, his turnaround time is awsome.

ktmbill
03-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Ohlin will have a dual rate spring set up for the rear soon they are waiting for a spring shipment from Sweden. You can call Steve in the ATV division and he will give you the low down.

Colby@C&DRacing
03-27-2008, 08:11 AM
We have full conversion available for the stock shocks with a lot of choices, single rate, dual rate, triple rate, ect. We also have a new rebound system for the rear shock that make a huge difference just by itself.

dono nateeng
03-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks Fellas. I'll check in with Steve. I weigh 170lbs and 5'10" so the fronts stock are somewhat stiff. The back I can't tell yet.

dono nateeng
03-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Meant Steve AND Ron's Racing. Thanks again!

05specialeditio
03-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Not sure that at a 170 lb, you would need lighter springs? My son weighs about 120 lbs and if we had not done the mod, it would have been close. They were great on big hits and just a little too stiff on the braking bumps etc..........We are changing to +2 arms now and are switching to a 3.5 kg/mm spring. The kit spring was a 3.1 mm/kg but we are bottoming on big stuff already. Maybe we should have gone 3.8 , but I was just afraid that would be too much! The 3.5 is also was only available in a 240 mm length, so that is 20 mm longer than the kit springs which were220 mm. What has anyone elses experience with +2's been? Any of you Ohlins guys think we are headed down the wrong path? This truly is seat of the pants engineering at its finest!!!!

05specialeditio
03-29-2008, 09:51 PM
One other thing I was gonna ask you is how long have you had your quad, and how wuch do you ride. We figured out that there truly is a break in period where they seem very stiff and then they kind of seat in and are much better. On the 2nd 450 we bought in January, we rode it for first time last weekend and stock shocks seemed horrible, but they were brand new!

03-30-2008, 06:14 AM
your welcome, i forgot to mention that Rocket Ron's also has dual and triple rate conversion kits also, he can take care of you how ever you need.

dono nateeng
03-31-2008, 08:09 AM
I ride about every other Saturday for a total of about 2 - 3 hours (wife and kids).

Just bought it about 1 month ago and only have about 5 hours on it. Good point about breaking in the shocks. I'll do that for the next 2 months and then look to do some of the things you suggested '05.

Great info. Thanks and it definitely helps to have knowledgable guys on this forum!