View Full Version : Broken shift shaft

greenblood01
03-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Well, I broke my shift shaft off, and it appears that you have to split the cases to install a new one. I thought it was like my Mojave, just take off the clutch cover and it slides out, but I wasn't that lucky. Looks like i'll be oredering a 416 and a stage 2 Hotcam to install while we're in there.

Anyone else ever broke one of these?

GOTFEAR
03-25-2008, 10:15 PM
what did you do yo-used it for a foot peg (i did this on my R)

Colby@C&DRacing
03-26-2008, 07:52 AM
I have replaced a few of these and customers are always bummed when they find out the cases have to be split to change this. I don't recommend it but some will weld the shifter back on :ermm:

greenblood01
03-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Well, I wasn't used to my new riding boots, and I guess I was stomping on it a little hard down shifting.

I considered welding it on, but I really hate to do that because it will most likely make the shafte brittle and more prone to breaking again.

Theres just enough shaft to get the shifter somewhat on, so I'm thinking about drilling a hole in the shafte and tapping a bolt into it to hold the shifter on, but we'll see.

86 Quad R
03-26-2008, 08:55 AM
considering the amount of force that was placed upon the shifter shaft to break it. i'd advise that ya inspect the sfifter forks and ect if and when ya replace the shaft. :cool:

BrandonV
03-26-2008, 08:38 PM
that happened to my teacher he has a 400ex to and he just had it welded ...i dont know how it worked though he didnt get it back yet

chadbarger18
03-26-2008, 08:59 PM
i did this and somehow the guy i took it to didnt have to split the cases i dont know how he did it though

JOEX
03-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Splitting the case to replace the shift shaft isn't as difficult as it seems.

Just pay attention to how the parts are put together and use a repair manual.

:)

86 Quad R
03-27-2008, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
Splitting the case to replace the shift shaft isn't as difficult as it seems.

Just pay attention to how the parts are put together and use a repair manual.

:)

ditto :cool: and i think the worst part of it is cleaning off the old crusty gaskets :mad:

hemi400ex
03-27-2008, 06:48 AM
just got done replacing mine. there is no way to replace it without creaking the case, it doesn't go all the way throught the right side and no way to pull it from the left so it has to split to pull it out. watch how the transmission, shift drum, and shift fork lines up it will save you alot of headacks

gcart2
03-27-2008, 08:20 AM
thats weird i did mine just a few days ago. yes you have to split the cases to change it. Howd you do it? i landed on mine on the landing of a jump in a race, went to shift up and i was like... uhhh whats up?

greenblood01
03-28-2008, 11:33 PM
I think I might not of got the shifter completely tight when I moved it for my riding boots, and it slid to the edge putting more leverege on the shaft, then I'm guessing I shifted down a little too hard. I'm going to weld it to get me through a weekend or two while I'm waiting on my 416 piston and stage 2 hotcam to come in.

400ex28
03-29-2008, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
ditto :cool: and i think the worst part of it is cleaning off the old crusty gaskets :mad:

amen

greenblood01
03-30-2008, 12:37 AM
My new shifter came in yesterday, and I was going to weld it on, but a guy at work was talking about going to the track, so i though I would try putting it on what was left of the shaft and bolting it on, and after over an hour of play time at the mx track, its still on solid. I'm going to see if I can't make it through summer before I have to spit it down.