PDA

View Full Version : bolt seized in gas tank HELP!

71_400TRX
03-25-2008, 08:18 PM
on my 05 450R the front plastic bolt that bolts into the gas tank is seized. the square mount nut it goes into that is in the tank is stripping out the plastic of the tank every time i turn the bolt because its just turning the whole thing. is there a fix for this. id like to have it done before my race front end gets here. thanks

eastside 400
03-25-2008, 08:37 PM
try wedging a screwdriver next to the square piece to hold it to get the bolt out, if that doesnt work wither grind or cut the head of the bolt off, then you can put epoxy in to hold the piece from then on, dont tighten the bolt down much and put anti-seize on it. both my tanks did it, i dont bother running the bolts there anymore

jshtex
03-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Unfortunatly that is (or was) a common problem. I have a basically brand new tank that when I took it off to put a bigger tank on the only bolt I had trouble with was one of the bolts on the petcock. The tank is basically trash at this point.

In the future put anti-seeze (SP) on the bolts when you put them in.

RideRaceLive93
03-26-2008, 02:27 PM
yup happend to me in two tanks cost me about 400 bucks BAAAAAAAAD day and a long story

03warriorrider
03-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Same thing happened to me. I just used a grinder to grind off the head of the bolt so i could get the plastics off then the bolt just came right out by hand. i think it just got seized on that insert/spacer. After i got the bolt out i just put some epoxy around the nut in the tank to keep it from moving around and all is good now.

BlackTrx440ex
03-26-2008, 06:23 PM
put a pair of vice scrips on it and yank it out the square thing inside the tank will come right out i hada do it and iam gunna expoxy it right back in