PDA

View Full Version : Might sell my 400 and get a bike

jesseweaver
03-25-2008, 08:01 PM
i can't keep spending money on it. i'm getting into more and more motocross and i know how much cheaper it is to race bikes and how much bigger and faster you can go and thats what i'm looking for right now so i'm gonna try to find a 250f. it seems like every weekend i'm putting another 1 or 2 hundred in it just cause i overshot a ramp or something and its really starting to add up. i've been on quads all my life, and its hard to sell it, but i know ill be glad i did in the long run.

i think im gonna ask 3000 for it does this sound good?
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff71/1999_416ex/033.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff71/1999_416ex/GEDC2157.jpg

TRXRacer1
03-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Sounds about right on the price. I rode bikes for many years and I've been wanting to get another lately. I'd never sell my ex so it will be a while until I can slip that into the play budget. I like the older 2-strokes so I'd have to get an early 90's CR250. I'm no ramp tramp anymore so something like that would be good for me, certainly not for a serious racer these days. I agree the bikes are far cheaper to race and you got to do what you got to do.

Good luck man!

jesseweaver
03-25-2008, 08:23 PM
yea thanks, im hoping i can get comfortable on it though. ive never competitively rode a bike or rode on a track or anything so i dont know. but know im starting to hit 60, 70 sometimes farther and its gettimg pretty rough and expensive. then i see the guys flat landing 70 feet no problem on bikes:rolleyes: ive always riddin bikes and motorcycles so im comfortable on 2 wheels, i just hope i can get used to it on the track. the only thing im not looking forward to is how compmetitive the bikes are, because im not looking to go pro, i just like to do it for fun. i will definatley have another quad sometime though because they're just too much fun. maybe when im done racing and sticking more to trails and coal piles....

TRXRacer1
03-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Bikes are like butter in the air and being you have some 2 wheel experience it should be a fast transition for you. Bikes are lighter, faster, better suspended and less picky on your line choices. Well I'm off to ebay and craigslist to look for my bike... Hahaha!

hornetgod13
03-25-2008, 08:39 PM
My Son is hooked on motorcycles as well. I've tried to convert him but, no luck as of yet. He's just about out grown the bike he's on now. If he keeps up his side of the bargain (school grades), I'm going to buy him a new CRF230F at the end of the school year.

I personally prefer 4 wheels over 2 wheels. I feel alot safer.

TRXRacer1
03-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13

I personally prefer 4 wheels over 2 wheels. I feel alot safer. That's cool that the boy is into motorsports too. Gotta go with what feels right ;)

Funny thing, I have Jeremy McGrath on one of my old quad tapes running some moto laps on a 4 wheeler. He explained that bikes don't even begin to scare him anymore but he liked quads because they do.

my88r
03-25-2008, 08:51 PM
best move ive done to my ktm was put a good set of mid/soft tire on it. jd jet the ktm flys.

i like the early 90s crs also. ive been in the hunt for one to.:cool:

baker67
03-26-2008, 08:46 AM
where in pa are you and would you be interested in a 02 crf 450 lots of new stuff motor, pipe, & more let me know you may have to emile me thank you

TRXRacer1
04-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
Well I'm off to ebay and craigslist to look for my bike... Hahaha! LOL, I guess I wasn't kidding! I just picked up this sweet 88 today. Should make for a great trail bike.

http://miltechsolutions.tripod.com/offroad/wata/88cr250r/88cr250r_a.jpg

my88r
04-13-2008, 07:39 PM
LOL, I guess I wasn't kidding! I just picked up this sweet 88 today. Should make for a great trail bike.

that's in great shape:macho

Ruby Soho
04-13-2008, 07:48 PM
im in the same position as you jesseweaver.

im gonna miss the EX but ill be glad on a bike

DementeD
04-13-2008, 08:06 PM
even though i just bought my quad two weeks ago..i myself have been entertaining buyin a bike as well..i prefer 2 strokes as well on bikes..and thats what i always rode..but for trails and stuff i do prefer a quad most the time

i think ill buy one soon enough and let my girl ride the quad if shes up for it when we go out together..if not ill take turns on it :D

UNBROKEN
04-14-2008, 03:42 PM
how much did u pay trxracer1 for that cr and i hope u dont plan on riding in the tight trails without at least a gearing change

maxfior
04-14-2008, 06:21 PM
LOL, I guess I wasn't kidding! I just picked up this sweet 88 today. Should make for a great trail bike.

The older CR's are the bomb. I still have my old race bike from 93. Same year ole McGrath stuck with all the way to 95 I believe... They are a good bike, VERY strong engine. You can pretty much do everything with an old CR, woods to moto, but the suspension sux compared to the new bikes today. Nice '88 by the way, sort of reminds me of my 1990 that I had a long time ago. Nice find!
---
http://www.maxfior.com/image/born_again.JPG
---
...and to the OP, would it be possible to keep the 400 and maybe get a little older bike to do moto with? Then you could have the best of both worlds. I could never give up 2 wheels, 3 or 4! ;)

Max

jesseweaver
04-14-2008, 07:35 PM
i wish but i want a good race bike and in order for me to do that right now im gonna need to sell the 400. ill definatley have another quad in the future though because they're so much more fun to ride. im not getting out of it forever, just as long as money situations make me. maybe by that time ill be able to get a 450:)

Nac's22
04-14-2008, 08:48 PM
That's cool that the boy is into motorsports too. Gotta go with what feels right ;)

Funny thing, I have Jeremy McGrath on one of my old quad tapes running some moto laps on a 4 wheeler. He explained that bikes don't even begin to scare him anymore but he liked quads because they do.

it was in huevos 2 and he was riding a banshee :D

TRXRacer1
04-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by UNBROKEN
how much did u pay trxracer1 for that cr and i hope u dont plan on riding in the tight trails without at least a gearing change $700 and the sprockets are on the way........ ;)

Originally posted by maxfior
The older CR's are the bomb. I still have my old race bike from 93. Same year ole McGrath stuck with all the way to 95 I believe... They are a good bike, VERY strong engine. You can pretty much do everything with an old CR, woods to moto, but the suspension sux compared to the new bikes today. Nice '88 by the way, sort of reminds me of my 1990 that I had a long time ago. Nice find! Thanks Max and sweet ride you got there. I pretty much like all the CR's from the late 80's to the early 90's. As far as moto bikes go there was huge development in that era. Machines come and go around here but the 400ex will never leave and I think the 88 is a keeper too.I love those older machines. Now I just need an 86r........... the one missing a wheel ;)

Originally posted by TRR440EX
it was in huevos 2 and he was riding a banshee :D That's right. I forgot about the banshee, maybe that's why it scared him...........lol. j/k

maxfior
04-16-2008, 06:39 AM
Thanks Max and sweet ride you got there. I pretty much like all the CR's from the late 80's to the early 90's. As far as moto bikes go there was huge development in that era. Machines come and go around here but the 400ex will never leave and I think the 88 is a keeper too.I love those older machines. Now I just need an 86r........... the one missing a wheel ;)

Yeah, you're right about the developments in tech for the bikes in the late 80's through 90's. Big improvements. With Honda, they kept that CR250R engine pretty much unchanged till 2001 I think... I want to say that the 02 or 03 got that different type of power valve... Non the less, great bikes. I think that with 2-strokes becoming less on the sales floor your going to see more people like us trying to grab the old ones. They are so much fun to ride. You'll love your CR for woods after some sprocket changes. When I dialed mine in it was pretty much un stopable on hill climbs and any other wild stuff I threw at it! ...Long story short, have as MANY bikes, quads, 3wheelers and your wife, parents, girl friend, etc., will let you have ;)

Max

Brauap
04-16-2008, 12:57 PM
...:grr:

UNBROKEN
04-16-2008, 01:09 PM
wow 700 bucks is a great deal for that assuming all is well

jesseweaver
04-17-2008, 08:37 PM
what about mx on a 250cc 2 stroke? is anyone racing them anymore? maybe i should get a 250 2 stroke then move up to a 450 four stroke? or bad idea?

maxfior
04-18-2008, 06:48 AM
I don't think there are too many people still racing pro on 250 two strokes... I guess it depends on your riding stlye and how aggressive you can ride. I had no problems with newer 250 two's against 450's, it really comes down to the rider. The 450's make really nice lowend and hookup better where a 250 tends to have wheel spin unless you bite good. But it's still pretty hard to beat the upper hit of a two stroke motor, my CR hit VERY hard and I loved it. Having said that, I always liked how little work I had to do on my CR. I just made sure the bike was clean, new filter, good clean gas, good mix, and fresh top end and I was pretty much good to go. There is a TON more maintenance to do on a 450, ask any REAL racer and they will tell you... If you get a chance to ride both engine styles, see which one suits you... Good luck!

Max