PDA

View Full Version : Attention 250R Nuts! Check this out

MotoX_Racer07
03-25-2008, 03:38 PM
A little eye candy for you guys. A custom build, Myself and my Friend of Fab specialties Mfg of Diamond Racing products built. Sweet Eh?

skyhighatv
03-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Looks real good,got any details of the build,frame,motor,etc.
more pics please.

MotoX_Racer07
03-25-2008, 03:44 PM
engine

MotoX_Racer07
03-25-2008, 03:45 PM
another

MotoX_Racer07
03-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Yes there is grass I never got out of the Radiator *lol* It does get riden

MotoX_Racer07
03-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Yes that is rust, The cleaners I use take everything off including grease. So don't slam me for it!

MotoX_Racer07
03-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Subframe/airbox

MotoX_Racer07
03-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Last one for now, There will be more. It now has a Billet Aluminum engine cradle.

MotoX_Racer07
03-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Okay now the details. This project has been in R&D for the past three years. Now all the bugs are worked out. Yes vibration issues also were taken care of being its a CR250 motor. Vibration is there at idle, but when power is put to the ground it isn't noticable. No arm pump or fatigue. As far as the build goes, Its a Cannondale chassis, with 05 400ex plastic $ seat. It uses the stock 400ex tank. The motor is a CR250 engine, port & polished, boyesen rad valve, Wiseco prolite piston std bore. Pro design cool head, compression @ 200 PSI running VP 110. Pipe is a pro circuit works dirtbike pipe chromed. No it isn't a bolt on either. The Silencer is a custom build. Nothing you see is a bolt up. Basically everything has something done to make things fit. There is a 1/4 inch clearance on everything. No rubbing signs anywhere. Actually smashed a few air boxes in the r&d stage. The Caliper hit. Also broke a swing-arm completely off before making the chromolly one. It has been ridden and tested hard and this is the near final outcome of it. The a-arms, swing-arm and steering stem are Diamond racing. Elka front 19 inch shocks on the front and the rear is an Ohlins with an Elka ZPS spring kit. There is a tone of little stuff to list and it could take me all day going through it all. So any questions just ask. But I am not giving up our secrets.

CorvetteZ06
03-25-2008, 05:19 PM
it looks amazing, how light is it, being that it has the aluminum frame, and the CR250 motor? How is the power, compared to a worked TRX250R, and how is it versus the 450's?

MotoX_Racer07
03-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Last it was weighed it had an aluminum swing arm and it came in at 344 wet. @ this point I'm guessing its still close. The Chromolly one was a little bit heavier. As far as Handling, this thing goes where ever you steer it. It handles awesome compared to anything I've been on. Being a newer CR engine 98 with the powerjet carb and the few mods it runs with any mildly modded 450. There is still alot that can be done motor wise to make it run quicker. We wanted to make the quad flawless before we jumped to engine mods. No sense in building an expensive motor if the quad conversion was going to be a failure. So now that its all worked out more motor mods will come. Still a little more bore left being its still stock and then there is always stoking it too. When it comes to a 250R this thing I think it is more responsive and quicker. Remember this engine is a lot more modern then the old 80's R design.

Aceman
03-25-2008, 06:01 PM
EDIT

MotoX_Racer07
03-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Well I figured I would get someone that would say something like that. Well lets see it is something like what I modern day 250R would be like. Why do people build custom choppers? Well because its something different then everyone else has out there. Thats why. Not the same off the dealer floor model like everyone else has. Why you asked a question like that is beyond me. I'm here to show the work I can perform. If you can't appreciate the work that has been done, please don't bother posting. Evidently you missed the whole concept of building something custom. People do it with cars, trucks, motorcycle and so on. The CR motor is a much higher state of tune motor then the old R also. Take a stock for stock CR Verse a stock R, its like Apples to oranges.

my88r
03-25-2008, 08:42 PM
:ermm:

EXtreme-
03-25-2008, 09:02 PM
ease up there...Ace

very nice! what's the wheel base front to back?

MotoX_Racer07
03-25-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm not going to waist my time, quote me c'mon one more time*lol* I get them in every forum. But anyway to each his own. Anyone with an educated question on the build please ask. I know when I go to the track with this, every 250R guy there is all over it. Thats the main reason why it was posted here. Because they are the crowd that loves this stuff. Every guy out there that has been in quad racing knows the 250R dominated longer then any other quad to date. Who wouldn't want to see it in production today, but with all the updates it would of received along the way. I doubt anyone would have a problem with it. Accept maybe the tree huggers and there anti two stroke laws. ;)

quad janern
03-28-2008, 03:04 AM
very nice :D

rebelbanshee
03-28-2008, 02:02 PM
freaking awesome dude!! The CRs had a dang good engine, and the cannondales had a dang good frame. Excellent combo!

rustyATV
03-28-2008, 03:25 PM
How did you remedy the vibrations?

Also, does the Cannondale rear end have a point where it tightens up and "kicks" when it's compressed?

MotoX_Racer07
03-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Well vibrations were mainly fixed by making the mounting points in different positions and using hollow material instead of billet. The more rubber mounts on the expansion chamber and pipe helped a lot also. We will also try machining the cases to fit polyurethane bushings and sleeves to help absorb it also in the future, but the vibration now is not a factor. Its one of them things were going to try anyway to see what it actually does. As far as the Cannondale swingarm locking, I've had no such problem or heard of it. Maybe a faulty shock, bad pivot bearings or the shock mounts being pinched in the mounts is the only thing I know of that would cause any sort of binding through its travel. Have you heard of this being a problem? I did snap the stock swingarm off the chassis completely though. That caused a near death experience but actually was able to ride it out to a skid.

rustyATV
03-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by MotoX_Racer07
As far as the Cannondale swingarm locking, I've had no such problem or heard of it. Maybe a faulty shock, bad pivot bearings or the shock mounts being pinched in the mounts is the only thing I know of that would cause any sort of binding through its travel. Have you heard of this being a problem? I did snap the stock swingarm off the chassis completely though. That caused a near death experience but actually was able to ride it out to a skid.

Stock rear suspensions on quads like the 450R and YFZ450 have a point where the progression rate jumps up very quickly. You can feel it when you stand behind the quad, grab the grab bar, and throw all your weight onto it; the suspension reaches a point where it suddenly stops long before it bottoms. This makes the rear "kick" when riding, and is what those popular "long travel" links fix.

I don't know if the Cannondale ever had that issue, I was just curious because the rear shock has such a sharp angle, which usually gives a high progression rate.

MotoX_Racer07
03-28-2008, 07:36 PM
I know what your saying now, this is a no link setup, thats probably why I never noticed or knew what you were talking about. Understandable though.

terboed
04-05-2008, 09:41 PM
this is quite an amazing build. im really amazed how clean the conversion turned out. im just starting a project myself with a 98 cr250 engine going into a 91 LT250R. some frame mods and intake issues i can see right off the bat but thats just mocking it up on day one. way to bring back the 2 stroke! i will probably be asking you some questions in the future.

Twistedmetal696
04-05-2008, 09:52 PM
looks sweet. great job man. I just wouldnt do any mx racing with those cast front wheels. a buddy of mine did it and when he landed the wheel busted off at the spokes. I figured i would pass that one on.

04-06-2008, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Twistedmetal696
looks sweet. great job man. I just wouldnt do any mx racing with those cast front wheels. a buddy of mine did it and when he landed the wheel busted off at the spokes. I figured i would pass that one on.

i secound that lol thats y im selling mine so they dont brack seen some guy brack one an get ****ed up an i was like im done

Meat
04-08-2008, 08:41 PM
just wanna say that the quad looks fantastic and I love seeing projects like this. Great job

redipsweb
10-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Hey MotoX_Racer07, in the hybrid forum you wrote "If people are interested, we will build you one. But that comes with a cost, and its not cheap. It would be one level of quality and no corners cut. The only thing that we would do to cheapen one up is less bling, and cheaper shocks. There is one with a KTM 525 if you can believe it. But that was done by my friend. It is way more in depth."

I still ride a 04 ATK quad now & was think of building a KTM 525 hybrid in a R frame, I'd have to hack-up the frame though. I was reading through the forums when I came across this one. The 525 motor I have is out of a 07 Polaris Outlaw. I also like the ex plastic on yours. How much does it lower the seat height from the c-dale height & what's the wheel base? I'd like to talk about what you'd charge for the conversions? I'm torn between the c-dale frame or a 400ex one.

JTRtrx250r
10-08-2008, 08:30 AM
very impressive man!

Thanks for sharing!:cool:

11-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Have you got any pics witht the plastics off?

woodsracer144
12-28-2008, 10:56 PM
I know the post is a bit old, but is that a direct bolt up? I've heard that a cr 500 or something like that would bolt right up, or almost, thanks

have any more pics? any more changes?

Quadforce
12-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Nice build

rigger
12-29-2008, 07:25 AM
I think that is really cool !!!!

turbo69bird
12-30-2008, 12:35 AM
sweet build I am just wondering why not a CR500 engine instead of the 250?
Is it for a certain class?

I have a CR500 and am considering doing the swap. I have ridden them before in glamis and loved the power but not sure its usable here in CT. Also would need to curb the vibration.

Have seen Jeep Leaf spring bushings used in the past.

A friend here in CT did a 525 KTM 250r a while back it was bad *****.

terboed
12-30-2008, 12:19 PM
500cc dirt bike engines in quads are a vibrating mess. a buddy of mine has a custom framed 250r that had a rubber isolated cr500 engine. it vibrated way too much. he yanked the 500 and it now has a turbocharged intercooled banshee engine on alky. 148 ponies to the wheels on a stock port 350.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i40.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/terboed/samifistrun057.flv">

turbo69bird
12-30-2008, 05:54 PM
We are discussing turbocharging V6 mercury enigines on another site right now. Has anyone turboed a 250R that you know of yet.

I think my supplier for turbos was the one who made the first banshee kit, he made it under contract for another company.could have been another quad I really didnt pay attention that much cause we were doing a new set up on my drag car at the time and that took presidence over someone elses set up.

I am a huge turbo head and I would turbo my lawn tractor if I had the moneyLOL.

redipsweb
12-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by turbo69bird

A friend here in CT did a 525 KTM 250r a while back it was bad *****.
He must have a custom frame cause I couldn't my 525 in a R frame to sit correctly(frames to narrow/short). Would you happen to have any pic's of it?

terboed
12-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by turbo69bird
We are discussing turbocharging V6 mercury enigines on another site right now. Has anyone turboed a 250R that you know of yet.

I think my supplier for turbos was the one who made the first banshee kit, he made it under contract for another company.could have been another quad I really didnt pay attention that much cause we were doing a new set up on my drag car at the time and that took presidence over someone elses set up.

I am a huge turbo head and I would turbo my lawn tractor if I had the moneyLOL.

yes. my buddy that has the turbo shee powered 250r was the tech guy at Trick Racing Engines in Oregon. they had a fuel injected turbo big bore stroker 250r that ran pretty quick. injection issues put the kibosh on that project. probably would have ran better with a blow through carb setup like the banshee engine.

bubsyfz450
12-31-2008, 10:32 AM
1 word...... GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!! amazing build. if i had the patience, i would build something exactly like that. amazing job!!!

koh0001
12-31-2008, 05:37 PM
Great job..Nice looking quad!!

Langbolt
01-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Great build!!!

Makes ya wonder if Honda kept building the 250R if it would be just like what you've created ??

:D

Langbolt
01-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Just had a thought......Have you considered contacting SERVICE HONDA and making your CR250R a Forward Kick Start ?

turbo69bird
01-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by redipsweb
He must have a custom frame cause I couldn't my 525 in a R frame to sit correctly(frames to narrow/short). Would you happen to have any pic's of it?

the guy who built it owns markow race cars.
His name is Mark markow

I think his site is markowracecars.com
He may have pics on his site. do a search for it. He had lt500's before that.
They quad was one sick ride! he is a chassis builder so I am sure it was 100% custom one off arms swingarm chassis.

turbo69bird
01-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by terboed
yes. my buddy that has the turbo shee powered 250r was the tech guy at Trick Racing Engines in Oregon. they had a fuel injected turbo big bore stroker 250r that ran pretty quick. injection issues put the kibosh on that project. probably would have ran better with a blow through carb setup like the banshee engine.

I ran my firebord drag car with blow through and a T88 for the last 5 or 6 years. I just bought gen7dfi for it hope it wasnt a mistake.

Gonna have Job Spetter of turbo people tune it si I should be pretty happy with the results.

Went 9.70 at 145 before with the carb and wast optimized at all. should be much faster with the DFI.

I HOPE .LOL

Claas900
01-09-2009, 01:46 AM
MotoX_Racer07 looks good. What did you use to clean the dale frame with?