PDA

View Full Version : chain adjustment help!!

MTDman11
03-25-2008, 02:26 PM
i have a 2005 honda trx300 ex. i feel like the chain constantly needs to be tightened and i dont know why. i also need a little help on the proper adjust ment. it says 1 5/8 inches but i dont know how to measure that. when u adjust it does it need to have the back wheels in the air? seems like after i adjust it and yes the bolts are tight it needs to be tightened again? why is it doing this, is my chain streatching? chain and sprocket combo on sig.

any help appriciated

03-25-2008, 02:45 PM
you may have bad axle bearings. if the bearings are bad enough, the slop they allow will make your chain seem good one minute and loose the next.

to adjust the chain, the wheels need to be on the ground with rider weight on it. the 1 5/8" measurement is take about midway between sprockets. the chain is pushed down to its farthest point and then pulled up to the farthest point. the distance between these 2 should be 1 5/8"...

MTDman11
03-25-2008, 04:24 PM
i think thats why... i used to adjust it with it jacked up suspension completed like opened, thank you for your help, any other advice will help me keep it coming =]