PDA

View Full Version : Look At This

shanester22
03-25-2008, 10:00 AM
THIS SMALL SPILL BENT THE SPINDLE, A-ARMS, AND TWEAKED THE FRAME..... BEEN WAITING 6 WKS AND BRP DOESN'T HAVE THE A FRAME FOR ME YET. ALL OTHER STUFF IS FIXED BUT WAITING FOR FRAME SPECS, AND OR NEW FRAME....

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=27084342

jaredw
03-25-2008, 10:29 AM
too bad the camera guy missed out on much of the actual impact. Have any pics of it afterwards to show how bad the tweaks are?

ds450maniac
03-25-2008, 11:12 AM
dang that sucks that that happened to your new ds. Pictures of the broken parts would be nice just because I wanna get a DS and I don't wanna buy something that will get all screwed up if I wreck it.:rolleyes: :D

ScottB125
03-25-2008, 12:52 PM
So what kind of engine oil is everyone using? I need to change my "break in" oil. The Can-Am dealer is an hour away, so what readily avail. brands are there?

Thanks

Vade
03-25-2008, 03:55 PM
um ya we need pics i did see a bend axle in the other vid tho

coryatver
03-25-2008, 04:09 PM
That shouldn't have messed all that stuff up. Are you sure that was the crash that did it?

shanester22
03-25-2008, 04:58 PM
I WOULD LIKE TO SAY FIRST THAT I HOPE I DIN'T SOUND LIKE I WAS TRASH TALKING THE DS...IT'S AWESOME!!!!! MINE HAS THESE ISSUES THAT KEEP COMING ON DUE TO RIDER ERROR AND IT'S NOT EASY FOR THE DEALER TO GET THE JOB DONE DUE TO BRP HOLD UP'S. I HAVE A FEW PICS OF THE BIKE AFTER THE SPILL... I'LL TRY TO FIND THEM AND GET THEM UP ASAP!!! AS FOR THE OIL I USED XP-S 5W-40, BRP SYNTHETIC. AND I AM POSITIVE IT HAPPENED ON THAT VIDEO. THE NEXT MORNING I NOTICED THE RIGHT FRONT WHEEL LEANING IN AT THE TOP ABOUT 2 1/4 INCHES.

ThePhantomRider
03-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Well Shanester, I won't sit here and bash, it does seem like an awful lot of damage for such a small event as I have seen the DS take much more brutal hits from all angles and have no damage.

However weird things can happen in the most mundane incident and the fact that you say you are not bashing the quad, but the service and even state it was rider error, shows accountability. Good for you, and let's not forget, judging from this video, these aren't 155 lb lightweights. These are big dudes riding, so something happening with a 150 lb rider is quite different than someone over 225.

Hope it gets worked out for ya Shanester....

TPR

jaredw
03-25-2008, 06:41 PM
I am curious to see how long it takes brp to get you the parts.

As for the Oil question. I would use the oil that is recommended in the Manual, which is exactly what I am going to do. 5-40 BRP synthetic. I have been told to do this 2 times now, once with my snowmobile, (MXZ 800) and my Can am. Numerous dealers have said that BRP will not warranty your motor if anything was to happen if they find out that their oil is not in there.

shanester22
03-25-2008, 06:50 PM
IT WILL BE 7 WKS THIS FRIDAY THAT THEY HAVE HAD THE BIKE. I THINK THE DEALERSHIP COULD BE DRAGGING THIS ORDEAL OUT A LITTLE BIT BUT WHO KNOWS.......AT LEAST THEY ARE CHECKING EVERYTHING! STILL LOOKING FOR THE PIC OF THE FRONT END AFTER THE VIDEO!!!

One_Bad_400
03-25-2008, 09:11 PM
i think i'd shoot myself if i flipped over like that and that happened?!?! i've flipped my 450r and i've seen my brother case a 85ft. tripple and send my bike into a 50ft barrle roll and the only thing that happened was he got shook up.. not a single part on the bike was bend

bwamos
03-25-2008, 11:10 PM
You might be supprised the forces the frame took right there. Looks like the sucker hit that wheel square in a slapping action after the rear weel caught. It looks like it may have hit "just right".

Small spill, but man that thing hit just right, and there was no give, or bounce at all.

african rider
03-26-2008, 06:39 AM
hey man. that's a bad luck...:(

my friend came out of the corner in 3rd gear and jump the table,

he landed with wheel turned and roll the bike twise prety hard....

only steering stem bent, i got vid, mabe later i'll post it.

but for sure that bike is great!:D

shanester22
03-29-2008, 06:05 AM
well finally found the best pics of the ds after the spill guys...the bracket the lower A-arm mounts to is bent slightly and look at the right front wheel...leaning in at the top... getting it back today and the dealer still has no info from brp on frame specs, or my manual. so we'll see if she rides ok... if not i guess the waiting game will begin again. oh...and i have all documents of all the problems ive had and the dealer is going to try to get ne a new bike (holding my breath) if there is another problem out of the ordinary.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/shanester_2007/bentds3.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/shanester_2007/bentds2.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/shanester_2007/bentds.jpg

Vade
03-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Well good luck man hope everything works out for you

BlaZn slO
04-01-2008, 01:54 PM
ds= does suck....i think these bikes are like play school china toys..iv heard nothing but crying about the service an reliabilty..over priced peice of you know what....:chinese: ..an watchn these vids an look at the pics..just goes to show..light aint always better..oh an yep those guys dont look light light weights to me....not saying that thats the prob but i know me honda..can take 10 times the beating an live fer another ride...sooooo sell it an get ya a real bike..heck a barbie bike would be better...:macho

culichi
04-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by BlaZn slO
ds= does suck....i think these bikes are like play school china toys..iv heard nothing but crying about the service an reliabilty..over priced peice of you know what....:chinese: ..an watchn these vids an look at the pics..just goes to show..light aint always better..oh an yep those guys dont look light light weights to me....not saying that thats the prob but i know me honda..can take 10 times the beating an live fer another ride...sooooo sell it an get ya a real bike..heck a barbie bike would be better...:macho

dont **** up a quad that youve never used, and what youre going to tell me honda never got any problems with their earlier models? this an innovative thing, its not going to be indistructible the day that it comes out, they need to fix little problems.

ThePhantomRider
04-01-2008, 03:54 PM

I wanted to get mad at just how unbelievably moronic the above statement was till I found this in his profile....now I know where all the anger comes from...

http://discordia.pl/~lorii/galeria/images/nerd-1.jpeg

BlaZn slO
04-01-2008, 04:01 PM
oh... iv ridden does suck b4...an iv also ridden the berbie quad sport ...sorry im in favor of the pink...twice as much low end..but i must admitt the cant am was slightly faster..

ThePhantomRider
04-01-2008, 04:38 PM
You see, Mr. Genius, you have to first overcome the obstacle of communication, in order to A) be able to translate that which is the point you are trying to impart and B) Do so in a way that does not portray you as an intellectually challenged individual...

You obviously know ZERO about intelligent design with regards to creating a dimensional frame. How tension and torsional forces interact with one another and how load on one area effects the rest of the framework.

There is no perfect formula, there will always be a weak point, it's the ability to limit that weak point, and make it as unessential as possible.

Sadly, this is probably one of the most futile attempts I have ever made to educate the less informed I have made to this date....likely, this just falls on deaf ears.

TPR

Spaceace
04-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Hey! Cut the guy a break! It is just an opinion. ...Clearly an uninformed, ignorant, stupid opinion, but an opinion non the less.

ThePhantomRider
04-01-2008, 05:25 PM
I agree, however, that is more than an opinion, that's just ignorance looking to cause a scene....we all know every quad made is not for everyone, but to make the comments he made, that is just stupid for stupid sake. Waste of breath.

TPR

spanky101
04-01-2008, 08:01 PM
it is slightly annoying when these kids come in these threads and just want to start drama. This really does show their maturity level, its about the same level as a freshman in highschool, if that. Its his opinion and take it with a grain of salt. Just my .02 about this moron.

BlaZn slO
04-01-2008, 08:57 PM
geez this guy must work for can;t am its just an opinion..i dont neeed a lesson in engineering or the creation of a three dimensional frame ..success or failure ..in fact it was a inside joke between me an the originator of this tread..whom i know personally. un like some who believe that they are the gods of production atv's ..we can take a JOKE even if it is bashing on his bad luck with the ds..and i have personal knowlage of the minor circumstances that has caused the SERIOUS damage to the ds. In which this thread is about...not high school jibbber jaber..it is well informed an creatable to this thread... you sir's dont have a CLUE on what is really happening here ... just a REALLY bad idea of what you think...an yes i still would enjoy riding the barbie quad ...seems how it was in the shop eight of the 9 weeks its been off the showroom floor w/a total ride time of less then 24 hrs at least we could ride something !! other then the other 1/2 dozen bikes sittn around in 4 other garages..so mabey just mabey..we could get back to piont of ..THIS thread..thank you for your support..

BlaZn slO
04-01-2008, 09:23 PM

:blah:

ThePhantomRider
04-02-2008, 09:39 AM
You see there is a difference between jokes and shots. You took a shot, a joke would have been easily detected.

However, I agree that the starter of this thread is entitled to prompt service, which I understand he has not gotten, and that's a shame. I applaud his candor in how he represented the situation, and if this is an inside joke, you should at least follow with something like..."Now all kidding aside" instead you came off looking like a moose knuckle and that doesn't help matters.

And BTW, most here who know who I am know that I have never worked or received any compensation for what I write, though I have much more knowledge about the DS than the average poster going from inception to completion.

Opinions are fine and dandy, and if you have a legit beef, feel free to vent, but do so in a constructive and educated manner or others will find the value in anything you say sorely lacking.

TPR

BuB400
04-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Its a discussion on the INTERNET! I think both sides could lighten up a little.

Punk'd
04-02-2008, 10:42 PM
I think that is bs what the dealer is doing to fix this but by no means is the ds a pos. Infact the frame geometry of the ds is just as strong if not stronger than the traditional box frame design of all the other 450s. You cannot base a whole quad on a freak accident like this. Every frame has its weakness but honestly from the pictures it doesn't look so bad.

shanester22
04-03-2008, 06:23 PM
WELL......DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT WAS GOIN ON THERE FOR A MINUTE.....THE DS IS HOME NOW AND IS RUNNING GREAT!!!!! FRONT WHEEL IS STILL LEANING IN AND DOESN'T SEEM TO MATTER CAUSE THE BIKE RIDES STRAIGHT. AFTER THIS WEEKENDS RIDE WITH THE NEW RAPTOR 700 AND THE GOOD OL' YFZ, THE DS HAD NO PROBLEMS AND THE RIDER (ME) ACTUALLY GOT A LITTLE BETTER ON HER...NO WRECKS!!!! :ermm: THANKS FOR ALL THE CONVO ABOUT MY ISSUES AND AS FOR YOU BLAZINSLO....CALL IF YOU NEED A HAND REBUILDING THAT BLOWN UP EX YOU GOT...I'LL RIDE THE DS OVER AND HELP U OUT.:rolleyes:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/shanester_2007/100.jpg

shanester22
04-03-2008, 06:26 PM
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/shanester_2007/FILE0040.jpg

WatersRacing
04-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Your asking for trouble running with the front bumper off.

spanky101
04-03-2008, 07:51 PM
yah, thats not a great idea but the quads looking great man. very very nice!

Punk'd
04-03-2008, 09:04 PM
If your wheel is still a little off try adjusting your tie rod. Also what all was replaced?

Glad to see your riding again man.

bwamos
04-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by shanester22
[B]FRONT WHEEL IS STILL LEANING IN AND DOESN'T SEEM TO MATTER CAUSE THE BIKE RIDES STRAIGHT.

The front wheels should lean in a bit at the top. Between 1"-2" difference between the bottom and top.

The photo you show looks pretty normal. But it's hard to tell since you dont have any photos of the front looking straight on showing both front tires.

shanester22
04-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
The front wheels should lean in a bit at the top. Between 1"-2" difference between the bottom and top.

The photo you show looks pretty normal. But it's hard to tell since you dont have any photos of the front looking straight on showing both front tires.

WELL HERE'S SOME PICS I TOOK TODAY OF THE FRONT...LOOKS OFF EH?
OH AND THE FRONT RIGHT SIDE EVERYTHING WAS REPLACED- SPINDLE,AARMS,TIE ROD, ECT. I'M GONNA RIDE THE HECK OUT OF HER THIS WEEKEND....WE'LL SEE...

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/shanester_2007/FILE0005.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/shanester_2007/FILE0006-1.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/shanester_2007/FILE0005.jpg

bwamos
04-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Hmm.. that does look a little off. Perhaps it's shifted in the location that the MX guys have been reinforcing with the heavy billed cross member between the upper a-arm mounts.

ronnoc47
04-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Looks like the frame is twisted.
The a-arm mounts on the right (when sitting on quad) look to be a little higher than the left. You can see it in the front bumber. Looks twisted.

450rJam
04-05-2008, 04:57 PM
something is still tweaked

the bumper is slanted and that right side is not straight at all

dont know much about the ds (does is have adjustable camber)

the new design on the kawi/ds 450's are supose to be the shiz bit
in handleing but seems they may be a weak link

I looped my 450r (top of 4th gear) it flipped quite a few times
tore off the grab bar, tail light, messed up the rear fender, and
bent the crap out of the right front wheel

spindles/frame/stem/bars all took it well

(did have to replace the bars after flat landing a small jump)

spanky101
04-05-2008, 06:26 PM
http://www.atvfourplay.com/Can%20Am.htm

That seems like its gonna be a must in these early units if can-am doesnt fix this weakspot... sorta like the ltr and needing a shift pin relocator but this is a bit more simple! haha

Bill Fuller
04-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by ronnoc47
Looks like the frame is twisted.
The a-arm mounts on the right (when sitting on quad) look to be a little higher than the left. You can see it in the front bumber. Looks twisted. Agreed, frame is definatley twisted.:(