PDA

View Full Version : PEP's or AXIS????

450Honda23
03-25-2008, 07:14 AM
I have been waiting for my PEP shocks for 7 weeks now from SF RACING. He doesnt know when im going to get them and im tired of waiting. I was told that I could get Custom Axis Shocks in about 2 or 3 weeks. What is the difference between the two. Which is better and how would you compare them to each other. Is one cheaper or more expensive then the other?? Thanks for the help...!

mx4christ
03-25-2008, 09:58 AM
This was a question I had myself. There is no real answer and it comes down to rider preferance and setup. I will have a bike with new PEP Pb1 and hopefully in the next month I can scrounge enough to get another quad with the Custom Axis air shocks with X link and Plush ride. In my mind the Custom Axis looks better on paper because of the anti bottoming of the Plush ride and the infinite adjustability of the air ride system. Both the PB1 and X link are specifically designed to reduce roll over in the turns so I am curious as to which one does a better job. Track time will be the ultimate deciding factor though.

450Honda23
03-25-2008, 11:14 AM
well I talked to baldwin today and he said he can build them but it will probly be 6 more weeks before he can make them. I'm not already going to do very well in racing this year so I guess I'll just wait longer I guess. Should I get the pair for 650 or spend the xtea 140 and get the fully ajustable ones??? I'm not really TNT hardcore of a rider so I don't know. Is there much difference in them other them not being able to ajust the compression?

KB Motorsports
03-25-2008, 12:11 PM
You should do yourself a favor and go with Motowoz suspension . The turn around time on Motowoz is currently 3 weeks.

fandl450r
03-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by KB Motorsports
You should do yourself a favor and go with Motowoz suspension . The turn around time on Motowoz is currently 3 weeks.

You should do yourself a favor and not suggest shocks that weren't asked about.

As far as the ride between the two, they're fairly similiar on the track and on paper. While internally there is a difference between the two, for your average rider you will not notice the difference. Just depends on how long you are willing to wait and also how deep your pockets go. You won't go wrong with either brand.

KB Motorsports
03-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by fandl450r
You should do yourself a favor and not suggest shocks that weren't asked about.

As far as the ride between the two, they're fairly similiar on the track and on paper. While internally there is a difference between the two, for your average rider you will not notice the difference. Just depends on how long you are willing to wait and also how deep your pockets go. You won't go wrong with either brand.

For the price/ customer service Motowoz is his best bet. Axis is a close second , but the Motowoz cost a little less. The Motowoz also has cross over adjustment on the fly that comes in handy going from track to track that anyone can benefit from.

Custom Valving , Quick Turn Around Time, Custom Service , Billet Parts is what you should think of when you hear Motowoz.

You don't have to take my word for it. Go to google and type in Motowoz reviews.

fandl450r
03-25-2008, 01:26 PM
For the price/ customer service Motowoz is his best bet. Axis is a close second , but the Motowoz cost a little less. The Motowoz also has cross over adjustment on the fly that comes in handy going from track to track that anyone can benefit from.

Custom Valving , Quick Turn Around Time, Custom Service , Billet Parts is what you should think of when you hear Motowoz.

You don't have to take my word for it. Go to google and type in Motowoz reviews.

I never said that they weren't a good brand or shock, but he didn't ask for "hey what do you think about motowoz" he asked for opinions on Axis and PEP. I'll admit Axis has customer service that leaves much to be desired, but the technology and continual improvement on a near perfect shock in my mind is hard to come by. Any shock company does custom valving if you didn't realize that, and billet doesn't make it better just to let you know.

03-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Either shock your going to be happy and you will be getting top of the line shocks. My only reason to get Axis would be the X link or something where the shocks share the same fluid and the fact that I like their shock spring colors better. Other than that your going to get a great shock either way.

KB Motorsports
03-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by fandl450r
. Any shock company does custom valving if you didn't realize that, and billet doesn't make it better just to let you know.

Elka for one doesn't .

A lot of companies advertise custom valving, but normally they send you a set of shocks in a certain range 165-185 , etc.

Only selective companies like Motowoz, Axis and a couple others offer true custom valving. If you call a company that have shocks on the shelf ready to ship out you can beat your next paycheck that they wont be dialed in for you.

Between Axis and PEP. I vote Axis.

fandl450r
03-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Elka for one doesn't .

A lot of companies advertise custom valving, but normally they send you a set of shocks in a certain range 165-185 , etc.

Only selective companies like Motowoz, Axis and a couple others offer true custom valving. If you call a company that have shocks on the shelf ready to ship out you can beat your next paycheck that they wont be dialed in for you.

I'll agree to that, Elka, is by far the worst shock company I think I've dealth with. While they have gotten better in recent years, they still lack in the valving department. No shock is dialed in off the shelf, which is one reason why I have my shock servicer point me in the right direction and adjust them :)

450Honda23
03-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Well aside the long ***** wait should I wait 5 more weeks for PEP's or should I get axis or TCS? Im just flat out tired of waiting to get shocks to tell you the truth. I want to ride D@mnit...My front end of my quad has been sitting on a block of wood to long. I have heard a lot of good things about PEP and that they are well worth the wait. I talked to Mark at baldwin today and also SANTO at derisi racing also. THey both said they can get them but im going to wait. Ive waited this long and missed 4 races already and ill miss 4 or 5 more by the time i get any shocks. Sooo aside that i dont care waiting because unless I get 1st place every race after that im not going to do very good anyways. Baldwin told me to spend the xtra $150 and get the other shocks that I can ajust the compression. Im not to worried about that i dont think. Im not a hardcore rider and probly never will be. Im just out to have some fun. So I think the PEP race front shocks for $650 will be fine. Dont You? THanks for all the advice guys it helped...:D :cool: :cool: :cool:

03-25-2008, 04:49 PM
oh so we are talking lower end PEP now? They will still be a good shock but I think there are better options than lowend PEP. I like adjustablility even if I dont use it that much because you can easily set up you riding for a certain track or a day where the trails are really bumpy. I see this on my brothers quad. He was in a rush because he busted open the stock rear shock and bought a Works rear shock that is only preload adjustable for $550!!! I said see what companies can do for revalving and stuff I bet they can fix that and make it better than the Works for cheaper. Well when we go riding no doubt the Works rear shock with the remote rezzie is a much better ride than stock. But he is always trying to set it up right but he only has preload. Now just setting up my stock rear shock for my weight and terrain I ride it made such a difference that i'm closing in the gap to be closer to a Works shock. Now if I get it revalved and resprung no doubt I will have something that easily suits me and that I can adjust for what i'm riding that day. I'm not saying to do with OEM revalve/resprung but if your not a serious racer buying aftermarket and paying all of that isnt doing you any justice. I look for more of functionality and adjustability which tie into eachother. If your going to drop all that money into suspension, get something that you can adjust. It will be worth it.

trx400EXtreme
03-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by 450Honda23
Well aside the long ***** wait should I wait 5 more weeks for PEP's or should I get axis or TCS? Im just flat out tired of waiting to get shocks to tell you the truth. I want to ride D@mnit...My front end of my quad has been sitting on a block of wood to long. I have heard a lot of good things about PEP and that they are well worth the wait. I talked to Mark at baldwin today and also SANTO at derisi racing also. THey both said they can get them but im going to wait. Ive waited this long and missed 4 races already and ill miss 4 or 5 more by the time i get any shocks. Sooo aside that i dont care waiting because unless I get 1st place every race after that im not going to do very good anyways. Baldwin told me to spend the xtra $150 and get the other shocks that I can ajust the compression. Im not to worried about that i dont think. Im not a hardcore rider and probly never will be. Im just out to have some fun. So I think the PEP race front shocks for $650 will be fine. Dont You? THanks for all the advice guys it helped...:D :cool: :cool: :cool: i have the PEP race series shocks on my 400ex. i have NO complaints. and actually i had the same problem with SFracing, but in the end it was all waynes fault. he's the guy who builds them. i chose the race series shocks for the same reason that you did,. i don't race on a regular basis. i might hit a few races this summer, but not enough to have to buy 2000 dollar shocks. these shocks will work just fine for a couple races. like i said, i have no complaints... thay ride SOOOO smooth, plus now they come standard with black big bottles, so they look sweet.

racernorris
03-25-2008, 06:11 PM
this is a bad time of year to order shocks, all of the racers that waited until the first of the year are all calling and mad. now the other reason is (wayne) the owner/ builder of peps! you really need to find some guys that will let u ride there quad with fox, axis, elkas, and peps shocks and decide for your self. you might, just might decide to upgrade!!!!!! a lot of riders have never rode other brands of shocks, a good many of the shock companies build a great shock and some don't! try and find out on your own.

Norris
Quinn motorsports:macho

450Honda23
03-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Well the sad thing is that I ordered my shocks LOOOONNNGGGG before the race season even started. Now its almost 5 weeks into the season and I still dont have any shocks. WHy does wayne take so long to get the shocks built? I know he probably has a ton or orders but how long can it possibly take to make a shock. A shock a day for 5 days would be five people. I dont understand why it takes so long to build them when you do it for a living and have all the parts there to do it. Guess Ill just have to keep waiting and hoping I can get them ASAP.. Thanks for all the comments.

godzilla
03-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Elka for one doesn't .

Is it the new trend this year to pick on Elka? last year it was Axis, two years ago was works...

:rolleyes:

NacsMXer
03-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by 450Honda23
Well the sad thing is that I ordered my shocks LOOOONNNGGGG before the race season even started. Now its almost 5 weeks into the season and I still dont have any shocks. WHy does wayne take so long to get the shocks built? I know he probably has a ton or orders but how long can it possibly take to make a shock. A shock a day for 5 days would be five people. I dont understand why it takes so long to build them when you do it for a living and have all the parts there to do it. Guess Ill just have to keep waiting and hoping I can get them ASAP.. Thanks for all the comments.

Probably just a huge demand for the shocks and not enough workforce to compensate :ermm:

I have always gone through Baldwin, and have always waited. My most recent set I ordered while I was still in the semester at college. I figure i'm not home, not with the quad, etc so I can wait. By the time school let out for summer my shocks were waiting for me in the box when I got home.

I can't say much for your situation, but just be patient. I have never NOT been satisfied with PEPs after having waited to receive them. It's sorry that you have to wait so long but it's worth the wait IMO.

450Honda23
03-27-2008, 08:31 PM
im not getting PEP's anymore. I ordered a set from colby at C&D today. little more money but he said i would be waiting a long time for them. so at the this point i dont care what i get i just want some shocks...

racernorris
04-02-2008, 06:00 PM
$150 make up on the shocks u ordered, and $600 make up on the pb1, so i see why u haven't recieved your shocks! sorry.

norris
quinn motorsports

250rmike
04-02-2008, 06:25 PM
my next shocks will either be axis or pep. i know by now though to order the pep months in advance. ever since i started riding i have been hearing of long waits from pep and that was way back when there was only really pep works ohlins was still around and strong and i beleive maybe axis. mr quinn i cant remember are the pep racer series just works shock bodies. after looking at that picture i can see the similarities

NacsMXer
04-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by 250rmike
my next shocks will either be axis or pep. i know by now though to order the pep months in advance. ever since i started riding i have been hearing of long waits from pep and that was way back when there was only really pep works ohlins was still around and strong and i beleive maybe axis. mr quinn i cant remember are the pep racer series just works shock bodies. after looking at that picture i can see the similarities

All PEP shocks with the exception of the new PB1 series utilize Works shock bodies (at least to my knowledge). The race series is PEP's "entry-level" shock which is non-zps and non-compression/rebound adjustable. If you are serious about riding you will at least want a compression adjustment.

racernorris
04-02-2008, 07:14 PM
the bodies are chrome plated inside and out, this helps with the life of the oil, with the non plated bodies the aluminum contaminates the oil as the shocks heat up during riding.

Norris:macho

250rmike
04-03-2008, 09:03 PM
thanks for clearing that up. i know what i need with racing and know my limits. i just got to get back to riding again and dial in the shocks i have now(tcs) and see how i like them. i liked the old tcs revalve i had on my cannondale along with the old elka elite series i had on the front. they just soked up the rough stuff. so ill see how they work out for me.

Colby@C&DRacing
04-04-2008, 08:22 AM
The works shock bodies are steel not aluminum hense the name AT steeler. The Rear PEP shocks are constructed of fox shock components.

NacsMXer
04-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
The works shock bodies are steel not aluminum hense the name AT steeler. The Rear PEP shocks are constructed of fox shock components.

Just curious Colby, I used to have triple rate AT-steeler's on my quad. The bodies appeared to be unfinished aluminum. Why didn't they rust if they were made of steel? Not doubting you, you just got me thinking...

ohsobad_chevy
04-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by godzilla
Is it the new trend this year to pick on Elka? last year it was Axis, two years ago was works...

:rolleyes:

I am glad that I am not the only one who noticed that. :ermm:

mad440
04-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
I am glad that I am not the only one who noticed that. :ermm:
Ive noticed that too, im sure next year it will be ohlins do to the fact that bill balance is running them so every amature out there will go buy them expecting to win just cuz they have a shock that a pro has but in reality yeah you might have a great shock but if you suck as a rider the shocks cant change that!! but no one will admit they are an lower class rider so the big thing is to blame thier shocks, thier motor, anything but thier skill level. Any aftermarket shock is better than stock and will perform amazing if the proper information is given to the builder without lying about skill level and if the time is taken to fine tune them once the shock is on the bike!!

ohsobad_chevy
04-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by mad440
Ive noticed that too, im sure next year it will be ohlins do to the fact that bill balance is running them so every amature out there will go buy them expecting to win just cuz they have a shock that a pro has but in reality yeah you might have a great shock but if you suck as a rider the shocks cant change that!! but no one will admit they are an lower class rider so the big thing is to blame thier shocks, thier motor, anything but thier skill level. Any aftermarket shock is better than stock and will perform amazing if the proper information is given to the builder without lying about skill level and if the time is taken to fine tune them once the shock is on the bike!!

Amen Brotha!!! Amen!! :)

ALAMX37
04-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Buying suspension is like this to me -
You know deep down inside what you really want and maybe it's expensive, but go ahead and get the parts you want the first time. I built my 250r with what I could afford at the moment instead of being patient and ended up hating my suspension and wanting the same thing I did in the first place. It will save you time and money in the end. I know growing up I always looked up to Doug Eichner and his Roll Design/ Custom Axis 440ex, so I got a Lsr crf frame based on the 400ex and got my Roll/Axis that I wanted since I was like 13 or 14 and don't regret it at all.

Elka - Everyone and god knows Elka is hit or miss(mostly miss) on valving if your just now catching on to that the industry has left you a couple years behind.

Motowoz - Why everywhere I go the one or two people with Motowoz claim they are the best shock on the market. If this where true dont you think you would see Motowoz on the track in some of the faster classes. People aren't dumb if they where the best available He wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand but as it is know Axis/Ohlins/PEP/Fox/Elka are all far outselling motowoz. So please stop telling people they are the best when you have 0 evidence to base a statement like that upon.

racernorris
04-06-2008, 07:01 AM
what i mean buy price vs value, is if you buy elka shocks and pay $1500 for the front and they don't work properly, then you send them to a shock builder to re valve them and you pay $400 to re valve them, you now have $1900 plus shipping. i sell almost ever major brand of shock, and if you set them up wrong, there the worst shock on the market. that why there's so much shock bashing. some are sub pare, and i'm not going to say (look up) who. that being said, all brands can be made to work properly, but were back to price vs value.

norris
quinn motorsports