PDA

View Full Version : Hitch mounted ATV carriers?

irorky
03-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Hey guys, im lookin for some insight on haulin a sportquad with an SUV. I have a very tall, lifted chevy k5 blazer. im certain that the quad would fit in the back with the top off, but with the top on im not sure the bars would fit under it. So, my idea is to pick up one of these VersaHaul ATV hitchmounted racks. ive seen a few around the local riding areas but never was able to find the owner to ask how they like it. So i come to you guys haha. Anyone have one?? whats the verdict on these things?? thanks guys
Ian

irorky
03-24-2008, 09:59 PM
this is what i am referring to.
http://www.atvramps.com/atv_carriers.htm

bwamos
03-25-2008, 07:01 AM
They should work fine.
Your hitch will hold 400# without issue. ;)

I personally just use a small 4ft x 8ft folding trailer from Harbor Freight. (~$250) Folded up it fits in a 2ft x 5ft area against the wall in the garage. ;)

My buddy owns the "big" trailer.

bcg717
03-26-2008, 09:01 PM
Anybody actually have one of these?

parkers30
03-27-2008, 12:41 AM
We made one, never really used it much, just doesn't feel safe on most vehicles, especially with heavier quads (we have used it for our Prairie with a plow).

Most class 4 hitches are rate for 500lbs on a 1 foot center (or less, I can't remember) Now take that turn it into 5-700 (116lb carrier+ATV) and move the center of the weight out and additional two feet.... Your hitch is going to have it rough, IMO, Its too much. Know your vehicle, our 3/4 Suburban didn't like having a ute on our rack at all.

bwamos
03-27-2008, 06:31 AM
Class 4 is designed to carry approximatly 750lbs. (Class3: 500, Class5: 1000)

Honda_Matt
03-27-2008, 07:33 AM
Seems like it would be too much weight for the hitch itself, when it's loaded...

400+ lbs + the weight of the carrier itself would be pushing it.

It probably wont do damage that one time, but over time, loading, unloading etc... it's probably not going to be good.

The thing I like about it, is on the back of the versa hauler, it has a receiver so you could probably pull a trailer behind it even.

Honda_Matt
03-27-2008, 07:37 AM
all in all though, id say for $500-800 bucks it's going to cost + shipping probably, id buy a small trailer, you can find a trailer big enough to carry a quad or two for $800.

That way you can use the trailer for other projects as well.

Check out craigslist, I see 2 place aluminum tilt snowmobile trailers all the time for $500-750

quad2xtreme
03-27-2008, 09:22 AM
I had a similar one on the back of my Chevy Silverado Crewcab. I didn't create any handling issues for me. I often put one 400ex in the bed of the truck and the other on the hauler.

Mine bent due to poor design. That Versa Hauler looks much stronger than mine. The center support beam on mine was very strong and didn't bend. It was the two supports that where perpendicular that held the quad itself. That bent downward. Again, I doubt the Versa would bend. It has extra metal support brackets that mine didn't have.

I never had any issue just hauling one quad on this rack without one in the bed.

I too would go with a trailer though which is why I never got another one of these.

/Jon

irorky
03-27-2008, 08:14 PM
thanks for the replies guys. I mighta just scored a nice one quad enclosed trailer though so i may not need one anyhow.

bulkdriverlp
03-27-2008, 08:22 PM
its unsafe. i cant beleive they can sell those. too much weight hanging off the back. my father-in-law has one of those, put his lawn tractor on it and felt like it was gunna break of the back of the truck in was flexing so bad. just dont do it..buy a trailer

parkers30
03-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
Class 4 is designed to carry approximatly 750lbs. (Class3: 500, Class5: 1000)

AGAIN, this rating if for a normal ball mount insert. Think putting a cheater pipe on you ratchet, tons more force on the hitch by moving the center of the force out.

The center of the mass of the four wheeler in not only 2 feet or so farther out, is also much higher than what the receiver design for. Bad idea all around if there is another option.

deathman53
03-29-2008, 04:44 PM
anything with those carriers for dirtbikes that go on the reciever? I was thinking of buying one of those. I have a f350, the reciever on its rated for 7000 lbs(I believe).

parkers30
03-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Putting a dirtbike off your hitch is whole different story and I wouldn't worry for one minute.

bulkdriverlp
03-31-2008, 11:06 AM
the reciever may be rated for pulling 7,000lbs rolling weight, not tongue weight. also the payload capacity of a truck is with the weight centered over the axle. i think a dirtbike would be ok, because the weight is closer to the hitch. every inch away from the hitch makes a big difference. hitches werent designed to have 450lbs 60" away from the bumper. jmo

RideRed84
03-31-2008, 01:09 PM
Small trailer is a much better way to go. Not only is it cheaper but it also seems safer. You already have the hitch, so just get a small 4X6.

irorky
04-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
They should work fine.
Your hitch will hold 400# without issue. ;)

I personally just use a small 4ft x 8ft folding trailer from Harbor Freight. (~$250) Folded up it fits in a 2ft x 5ft area against the wall in the garage. ;)

My buddy owns the "big" trailer.

Ive been eyeing those little foldable trailers also. From what i see, they come with no decking. What did you use on yours?
and how do you like it