PDA

View Full Version : cam chain and flywheel ?????

markvette
03-24-2008, 08:31 PM
buddy brought me a ltr 450 that was locked up. good thing it is not the crank. the cam chain was binding down by the crank. figure i need to tear into it to see what caused it. got the side cover off and the crank nut. now what ?? does it take a special puller like the hondas do or what. anyway how do i get the flywheel off so i can check the teeth on the crank where the cam chain rides.

Mark

LTR450_#67
03-25-2008, 02:57 AM
Usually when the cam chain is binding down there it's due either
A. Someone had it torn apart and reassembled without noticeing it, but that leads to not having enough slack to get the cams in place.
B. The tensioner may have went bad (which is a rare, freak thing).

my 2 cents

And to get the fly wheel off you need a special puller.

markvette
03-25-2008, 03:23 AM
yea i done a search and found out i need the fly wheel puller. my friend had another guy put a big bore kit in it and intake and exhaust hot cams. not sure if they ever started it or not, think i will put the cams back in today and see if it still binding.

Mark

LTR450_#67
03-25-2008, 09:26 AM
What sucks is that from my experience of putting a fresh piston in the '06 I had......I had to remove the head becuz of the way the cam chain guide was limiting the movement, therefore I couldn't get it back on the crank.