PDA

View Full Version : taking off my stock 400ex exhaust

mcgusto
11-22-2002, 01:57 PM
hey there guys. I am removing my stock exhaust from my 400...... as we speek! I am having trouble seperating the silencer from the pipe. I already removed the bolts from the every part. the only thing holding them together is the silencer being filled with the pipe. I do not want to ruin the stock exhaust system, for I want to sell it. But I don't know any other way to get this thing off! I would love input from anyone with experience(with this situation)

thanks for your help

DantheEXman
11-22-2002, 02:27 PM
Yeah they get a little stuck. I know if you just "twist" the silencer off the header, you will get it off. Just twist and pull:huh

NTPRacing#19
11-22-2002, 02:44 PM
aightman hers some help. You know where the silncer mounts up to the header, well that metal band that goes around the silencer and it has the two bolts in it. well totally remove or get it really loose because there is a little lip on that band that hits the catcher on the header and thats why it wont just slip off cause the lip catches the stopper on the header. Just remove that metal band and then try removing it

Team Outlaw #34
11-22-2002, 02:46 PM
yeah it gets kinda stuck on there....just twist and pull....

mcgusto
11-22-2002, 06:51 PM
FYI(just so you know that I am not an idiot). I took off the silencer clamp before I wrote the "call fo help" With a little help from my brother, we got them seperated. Now, I have a new problem: I cannot seem to get the copper gaskets off of the case. I am afriad that if I chizel it off, it will chip the pipe ports on the case.

NTPRacing#19
11-22-2002, 06:58 PM
i dunno what to say i thought the new exhuast came with that hardware

Gusto
11-22-2002, 07:07 PM
If you have the new copper rings, then just take a screw driver and "lightly" tap under the ring...it will come right off. No worries..I did it just now before I answered this thread :p

mcgusto
11-22-2002, 08:09 PM
thanks gusto. I am going to try that right now