PDA

View Full Version : Should have measured first!!

deepcj7
03-24-2008, 06:45 PM
My 400ex has +2 Houser a-arms, GT Thunder 450R shocks and stock LTR450 wheels, which I'm sure are a 3+2 offset...but I'm only measuring 46.5" width on the front end. What do I need to do to get closer to a 50" width? Should of picked a +3" a-arm?

03-24-2008, 06:55 PM
that doesnt seem right. With 3:2 offset wheels you should be past that!

coryatver
03-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Im pretty sure the suzuki wheels are exactly the same as the honda wheels other than how it looks in the middle

racernorris
03-24-2008, 07:30 PM
the stock wheels are 5.5 inches wide and 1-1 1/4 offset to the out side. if u buy after market front wheels (2 in offset to the outside) u should be 48-48 1/2 wide up front, i wouldn't recommend 3 in offset (to the outside) front wheels, to much stress on the ball joints. sorry!

norris
quinn motorsports

bwamos
03-25-2008, 06:40 AM
I'd double check your a-arms. You shouldn't be that narrow with the setup you are describing. Heck the 300ex is that wider than that w/ +2 a-arms and 3+2 offset wheels.

You're describing an almost stock width a-arm w/ 3+2 offset wheels.

ZSK
03-25-2008, 07:41 AM
Are you measuring it when the suspension is extended? It will naturally be narrower the farther the wheels move down. Re-check it at ride height with rider weight on board.

deepcj7
03-25-2008, 03:50 PM
I did do the measuring with the bike on the ground and no rider on board. I measured the LTR rims by placing a straight edge across the diameter of the rim where tire beads and used a tape down to the face of the rim and it measured 2". Is this not the right way? Thanks for the help all.

racernorris
03-25-2008, 05:41 PM
an aftermarket wheel is 5 inches wide, 2 inches to the outside or 3 inches to the outside depending on which one u buy (3-2 or 2-3 offset). a stock wheel is 5.5 inches wide, because it is wider the tire is sucked in and the rim sticks out past the wheel (on 19 and 20 inch front tires, not as noticeable on 22 in tires) now when u measure your width the tire is more inward toward the a-arm with a stock wheel and more out ward with a narrower aftermarket wheel.. also u said u measured the quads width on the ground with out a rider? if your ride height is set properly, and u measure your width (with u on board) i think u will come up with a greater number! with u on the quad in riding gear, from the frame to the floor below the foot pegs, should be 7 inches in the rear and 7 1/2 in the front (20 in tires up front and 18 in in rear), if you are running larger tires add 1 inch front and rear per every 2 inches of tire larger. this is a starting point, if it rolls up on two wheels in the corner lower these numbers by 1/4 inch until it handles, if it pushes in the corners raise the ride height the same way. now if it bottoms on the jumps add compression, if you run out of adjustment you will need to contact your shock builder, for possibly heaver springs or re valving!

norris
quinn motorsports:macho