PDA

View Full Version : handle bar questions?

oleboy87
03-24-2008, 06:30 PM
i have stock bars but i would like to get bars that are a little higher because i do alot of riding standing up and i think it would be more comfortable if they were higher.. so my question is what are my options on this topic? how high can i got before the cables are obsolete? and suggestions on brand?

honda300EXtreme
03-24-2008, 06:46 PM
your options are almost endless. there are a ton of bars on the market, in all degree bends, youll propably want something like the cr-high bend, renthals and pro-tapers are nice bars, and if you feel the bars are still to low you can get a set of bar risers to suit your needs, for almost any combination you go with the cables will have plenty or reach

glamiskid395
03-24-2008, 07:03 PM
i just got some renthal 787 bars and they are a bit higher than stock bars. cables have plenty of reach too.
only thing is, you will get more vibration with aftermark bars because they do not flex as much as stock bars too.

oleboy87
03-24-2008, 07:13 PM
ok i think i have narrowed it down to pro tapers but dont know what bends im looking at. what are the specs on the stock bars?

TRXRacer1
03-24-2008, 07:13 PM
I've got the Tag T4 Double hi CR bend and I think there's less vibration then stock but these are "fat" bars with no cross brace. They're a bit higher then stock plus they have the fat bar adapters that raise the bars even more.

oleboy87
03-24-2008, 07:47 PM
do you think the cr high bend or the cr double high bend would be best for me.. im 135 pounds and im 5' 10"id like something about 2"-2 1/4" higher over stock

NacsMXer
03-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
I've got the Tag T4 Double hi CR bend and I think there's less vibration then stock but these are "fat" bars with no cross brace. They're a bit higher then stock plus they have the fat bar adapters that raise the bars even more.

X2, the cr double high bend is what you want to be looking at. Those, along with the 3/4" rise from the adapters will be plenty high for most people. If you look at Pro Taper's bar chart, it is one of the highest bends they offer.

You could also run another bend along with some risers like Rox risers. They have a variety of different models: www.roxrisers.com

oleboy87
03-24-2008, 07:50 PM
what kind of risers or clamps do i need and are the 7/8ths bar the same size as the stockers so that the clutch perch and all that will still mount up?

NacsMXer
03-24-2008, 07:57 PM
7/8" is the size of stock bars. 7/8" bars are 7/8" the entire length of the bar. Tapered bars are 1 1/8" where they mount at the clamps and taper to 7/8" at the controls so everything still fits.

Whether you choose a 7/8" bar or a 1 1/8" fat bar is what will determine which riser you will need.

oleboy87
03-24-2008, 08:08 PM
ok i think i found what im looking for... what do you guys think of this.. will this suit me needs? i dont see where the list the double high bend jsut the high bend so will that work along with the bar clamp? and what clamp do i need? also one more question do the fat bars resist vibrations better?

sorry about all the questions i jsut want to make sure i get it straight before i make a purchase..

NacsMXer
03-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by oleboy87
ok i think i found what im looking for... what do you guys think of this.. will this suit me needs? i dont see where the list the double high bend jsut the high bend so will that work along with the bar clamp? and what clamp do i need? also one more question do the fat bars resist vibrations better?

sorry about all the questions i jsut want to make sure i get it straight before i make a purchase..

The cr high bends are a lot lower than the double highs, I didn't notice Pro Taper doesn't offer it. TAG and other brands do however.

Fat bars do resist vibrations a little better but nothing drastic. They mostly have more flex to them due to the lack of the cross bar.

If you get fat bars, some kits come with a 7/8" to 1 1/8" adapter clamp that offers an extra 3/4" of rise, but if not you can just buy a set of universal adapter clamps.

oleboy87
03-24-2008, 08:49 PM
i want to go with fat bars i know that much and i would like to get the double high if that would fit my needs accourding to the information i have gave allready. but will the far bar clamps mount up to my stock stem? but do you think the cr double high bend would be too much with the clamps that add 3/4" or should i jsut go with the high bend and the universal clamps that add the 3/4"?

NacsMXer
03-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by oleboy87
i want to go with fat bars i know that much and i would like to get the double high if that would fit my needs accourding to the information i have gave allready. but will the far bar clamps mount up to my stock stem? but do you think the cr double high bend would be too much with the clamps that add 3/4" or should i jsut go with the high bend and the universal clamps that add the 3/4"?

What you need is the 7/8" to 1 1/8" adapter clamps, they will bolt right up to the bottom half of your stock clamps. Since they sit on top of your old clamp, this is where the extra 3/4" of rise comes from.

CR double highs with the adapter clamps will be manageable for you at 5' 10" with the stock stem. They will be what you are looking for if you do a lot of stand up riding like you said.

I run Mini High bends with the adapter clamps which are almost as tall as the Double High bend, just a lot more narrow. I'm 5' 7" and sitting down my arms are slightly higher than parallel to the ground when holding the bars. Standing up, they put you in a more natural upright postion which I feel gives me better control during stand up riding and in the air hitting jumps.

I used to run lower bend bars that made my riding posture more hunched over and generally made me more "cramped" quad. It's much better with the higher bars.