PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Basket Removal??

CGriff
03-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Hey there guys, I just got an oversized piston for my ex (88mm) along with a new stg 2 cam and HD cam chain. I had no problems tearing down the topend and gutting everything out, but when I got the clutch cover off and started removing the clutch basket I ran into a problem. It seems that turning the big 27mm nut in the center of the basket turns the the sprocket. The motor is not in the frame therefor there is no resistance from the chain to keep the drive sprocket from turning. I tried every gear but still it just turns the drive sprocket. Is there a way to remove the clutch basket center blot without having the motor in the frame??

maxfior
03-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Got impact? Any decent 1/2 gun should get it off...

Max

drew416ex
03-24-2008, 08:47 PM
There is a part on the nut that is staked. Its easier to get off of you grind out the staked part. And like maxfior said, see if you can get your hands on a impact.

the Z Man
03-24-2008, 09:02 PM
You could also try a strap wrench around the inner hub...
Then tap the ratchet with a rubber mallet.

CGriff
03-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Ya i did notice the part of the nut that is pressed into the notch, how abouts would u get in there to grind it? I do have an air gun but my compressor isn't very big ill give it a shot in the morning an let u know how it goes. Thx for the replys.

86 Quad R
03-25-2008, 12:58 PM
personally i dont see where its gotta be ground out. i use a sharp center punch to get behind the stake or use a rubber strap to hold the inner hub while i impact the nut off.

CGriff
03-25-2008, 03:13 PM
I put the air gun to her this morning and the nut buzzed off with ease, I still can't believe I didn't think of that myself.. LMAO.
But thanks guys for the input I scratched my head over that one for a couple hours.

86 Quad R
03-25-2008, 03:15 PM
:cool:

NacsMXer
03-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by CGriff
I put the air gun to her this morning and the nut buzzed off with ease, I still can't believe I didn't think of that myself.. LMAO.
But thanks guys for the input I scratched my head over that one for a couple hours.

One of the many perks of having the right tool for the right job :D