PDA

View Full Version : Chain Oil's

Myrkk
03-24-2008, 11:38 AM
What are the honda owners using on there 400ex's chain for lube?

f4istunna
03-24-2008, 12:33 PM
i use the honda chain lube or maxima wax

03-24-2008, 01:11 PM
bel ray super clean...

03-24-2008, 02:26 PM
I had the Maxima Synthetic, it was satisfying until I forgot the chain lube at the house after we got to the park so i rode to the shop and got BelRay synthetic and it is so much better! I seems to stay lubricated longer and it doesnt trap as much dirt or anything to fling at times with the Belray.

07trx400ex
03-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Spectro

coryatver
03-24-2008, 02:56 PM
wd-40

07trx400ex
03-24-2008, 03:01 PM
The most important thing to remember when using lube is to make sure it "sets" properly.

To do this, you need to apply the lube to a hot chain, then let it cool.

If you apply your lube to a cold chain and then warm it up, the lube will "sling" off.

I think proper application is much more important than what brand, most of them only have 3 compounds in them anyway.

Myrkk
03-24-2008, 04:23 PM
07trx400ex

This is great infomation. i am new to ATV's and this sure hit the spot. How long does an atv need to be riden to get a hot chain?

RideRed84
03-24-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't like to waste money so I use WD-40 and wipe down the chain every couple of rides.

TRXRacer1
03-24-2008, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't worry about hot or cold so much just that you keep on it. It's a maintenance item that should be frequently done. I always spray up before a big ride. Sometimes I'll even do it at the end of the day too. I certainly wouldn't use WD40! WD40 does more cleaning then protecting. There's a lot of good brands out there. Bel-ray and PJ1 are good ones. I just got in a can of Primary Drive lube tonight that I'll let you guys know about. At $5.50 a can it could be cheap crap or a great deal. Time will tell.

TRXRacer1
03-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
I just got in a can of Primary Drive lube tonight that I'll let you guys know about. At $5.50 a can it could be cheap crap or a great deal. Time will tell. Well I just used it on the "orange headed step child" (see signature) and it's not bad stuff. It does a nice light foam application that quickly dissolves. Coverage was about what I'd call perfect, not too sticky and not too runny. After about 20 min of riding you could still feel it on the chain. I'll do a long term report on it after I use it for a while but I already like it enough to give it run.

07trx400ex
03-24-2008, 06:54 PM
wouldn't worry about hot or cold so much just that you keep on it

That is exactly what will not keep the lube on the chain.

After about 20 min of riding you could still feel it on the chain.

You feeling the lube for 20 minutes is actually the lube "slinging" off.

It needs to "set" to be the most effective. This can be very important as friction is a big hp robber.

This is great infomation. i am new to ATV's and this sure hit the spot. How long does an atv need to be ridden to get a hot chain?

I am not really sure how long to say, but I have an old road where I just wind it through the gears for about 10 minutes, but it could take longer/shorter depending on how hard you ride during the time interval.

TRXRacer1
03-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by 07trx400ex
You feeling the lube for 20 minutes is actually the lube "slinging" off.

It needs to "set" to be the most effective. This can be very important as friction is a big hp robber. If you're really worried about robbing hp maybe we should all ditch our o-ring chains too. :rolleyes:

I wasn't feeling the lube sling off I felt it on the chain after I parked it. I didn't even see any on the fender or frame for that matter. I promise you will never find a hp difference between the way you and I lube our chains. I for one will always lube before I ride instead of riding some then lubing. Sorry, I wasn't trying to crap on your advice, I just don't agree that it's necessary.

07trx400ex
03-24-2008, 07:17 PM
It WILL benefit you MORE to let the lube "set", BUT you are right that there will not be a noticeable difference in hp, but it will probably last longer.

I am not here to bash anyone's methods but if you study the chemical properties polyisbutylene and hexane they do last longer if applied to a hot surface and allowed to cool.

Also, Spectro is resistant to water which means you can apply to the chain directly after a ride and clean it when you get home. IF the chain is not excessively dirty.

RideRed84
03-24-2008, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
I wouldn't worry about hot or cold so much just that you keep on it. It's a maintenance item that should be frequently done. I always spray up before a big ride. Sometimes I'll even do it at the end of the day too. I certainly wouldn't use WD40! WD40 does more cleaning then protecting. There's a lot of good brands out there. Bel-ray and PJ1 are good ones. I just got in a can of Primary Drive lube tonight that I'll let you guys know about. At $5.50 a can it could be cheap crap or a great deal. Time will tell.
I used to use PJ1 till I found out most of my MX buddies use WD-40. The WD stands for "water displacement" so it not only lubes but also repels water. It was developed as a lube for rockets, I think it will work fine on a chain.

TRXRacer1
03-25-2008, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by RideRed84
I used to use PJ1 till I found out most of my MX buddies use WD-40. The WD stands for "water displacement" so it not only lubes but also repels water. It was developed as a lube for rockets, I think it will work fine on a chain. Now we're stepping into a 50 year old debate, lol. I personally wouldn't use WD40 on a door hinge. It was amazing back in 1958 when it hit the shelves but there's just so many other better products out there now. The lubrication properties of WD40 is poor even compared to a bad chain lube. I think the truth here is that a lot of people don't even lube their chains so something as poor as WD40 is still better then nothing and probably does a better job then I'm giving it credit for, I just know there is better out there.

RideRed84
03-25-2008, 10:03 AM
PJ1 and other chain lubes are great if you ride on a nicely watered track but get any dust or sand near the chain and it sticks and grinds itself into the chain and o-rings. The only difference between WD in 1958 and now is that there is no lead. But to each his own. WD works fine for me and I have never had any chain issues. I ride in sand a lot and I will always use WD.

07trx400ex
03-25-2008, 10:30 AM
WD-40 IS a GOOD lubricant, BUT the downside is that it is not very useful for bikes and quads because it is not resistant to vibration and will not lubricate for very long.

WD-40 is not designed or formulated to resist the vibrations of a chain on a quad so that is the main reason not to use it.