PDA

View Full Version : Building a Hyrbrid

brilo_pad
03-24-2008, 07:33 AM
Hey guys.
Well im pretty new here, Just joined yesterday. But i think these Forums are Great!

Anyway yeah the reason i came on here...
I am riding a Blaster at the moment in the irish youth motocross championships, and i am about to move up to the adult classes within the next yr or so.
I am looking at building a Hyrbid quad for this :)

Id just like to find out a little info on this. What powerplants work best?
I really like the CRF 450 engine, but are there any other options available?

Also in doing this i would be very interested in buying an aftermarket frame, rather than using a stock 250r or 400ex Frame.
What frames do you guys suggest for the CRF 450, will work well?
Is it a simple bolt up and go process with buyuing an aftermarket frame? or is there a need to cut and fabricate new motor mounts.

And just finally what geometry works best for Motocross?
Thats what i mostly ride.
250r or 400ex? or is there any other options up for grabs?

I no i asked alot of questions there, But literally any information would be a great help!
Thanks guys.

Matt.

wishmasstir
03-24-2008, 10:58 AM
I would do some searching through this section to get a better understanding of the projects that were built already. aftermarket chassis setup for the motor your looking at is the best way to go though.

brilo_pad
03-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Yeah ive been searchin around a bit
Just trying to find out as much as i can.

But just comfirming, you can buy an aftermarket frame, whether it be a houser/leager etc etc, that will allow a bolt up an go process for mounting the frame.

I no fitting an exhuast will also be another issue but things like that can be much more easier addressed.

Which geo for the frame works best?

racernorris
03-24-2008, 04:48 PM
with a 400ex u have to add to the length of the swing arm to make it handle (normally + 1 1/4)! a 1988 250r has 51% of the weight rear and 49% front, the only other production quad close is a ltr450 suz. lone star, prp, and maybe walsh still build hybrid frames. u can find a used one now and again.

norris
quinn motorsports

LT250RMan
03-25-2008, 03:44 PM
I know Tigor Racing, Motoquad Chassis componets and HRE ATV also builds custom 250R geometry frames.

HRE ATV - www.hreatv.com

Motoquad - www.motoquadchassiscomponets.com

Tigor Racing - www.tigorracing.com

wishmasstir
03-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by LT250RMan
I know Tigor Racing, Motoquad Chassis componets and HRE ATV also builds custom 250R geometry frames.

HRE ATV - www.hreatv.com

Motoquad - www.motoquadchassiscomponets.com

Tigor Racing - www.tigorracing.com

Tony at Tigor Racing builds everything for PRP

j450rking
03-25-2008, 06:33 PM
lone star dosen't build hybrid frames anymore. i asked them and they said they don't do it

400exMO
03-25-2008, 09:28 PM
a hybrid is a lot of work. Done right and it will be well worth the effort.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90605&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

LT250RMan
03-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by wishmasstir
Tony at Tigor Racing builds everything for PRP

I know that PRP still makes frames, a-arms and swingarms, I just talked to Dave Porter last week and I'm buying a new swingarm and maybe a new frame from him shortly. I own a set of PRP +2+1 a-arms and there completly diffrent than Tigor's a-arms. Is it just the parts he builds for PRP ?

brilo_pad
03-26-2008, 04:45 AM
Thanks For all the info.
I reckon i will prob run with the 250r style geometry. It seems to be a good job.

I was talking to a guy yesterday. He has a TRX450r fully built for motocross and then a CRF450 which he has just finished building and he says even though it took alot longer to build and get right, the CRF is his much prefered bike now.. So they must be a good bike when finished right.
Ill maybe try get you guys a pic of it. It looked great.

I reckon im just gona have to look around for a used frame of some sort now. But i have just over a year to do all this so i have plenty of time.

wishmasstir
03-26-2008, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by LT250RMan
Is it just the parts he builds for PRP ?

you got it

mcarlson1
04-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Does PRP have a website or do they have any contact info? If they dont have an email whats their number?

LT250RMan
04-19-2008, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by mcarlson1
Does PRP have a website or do they have any contact info? If they dont have an email whats their number?

PRP Racing (Dave Porter)

315-723-3475

315-942-5291

If no one answer's the phone just leave a message and he will phone you back. He called me back and I live in Canada.

250Renvy
04-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Here's some advice you should take IMO.

Do you live in IRELAND? IF so, buy a complete machine - it'll be cheaper than buinding from scratch. The cost of shipping each part alone will drive your machine into the 12K+ range, but that may not matter when you figure the pound is 2x the dollar.

It's too bad you are not buying right now. There are a couple fully built hybrids forsale around the different forums. Some as low as 5K.

Even if you live in the UK buying and shipping a whole machine will be easier because lots of things won't be available to you. The pipes are no longer made so you will have to have one fitted unless it comes with a machine.

Your options for Aftermarket Hybrid frames/geometry are as follows.

Houser CRF450/YZF450 - 250R geometry no-link std front
Walsh CRF450/YZF426 - 250R geometry narrow front CR500 link
PRP CRF450/YZF426 - 250R geometry std front no-link
Lonestar CRF450 - 250R geometry std front no-link
Lonestar CRF450 - 400ex geometry
Arens CRF450 - 400ex geometry
Laeger CRF450/YZF426 - 250R geometry narrow front CRF450 link/CR500 link
JRD CRF/YZF450 narrow front no-link

Most of these will be quite difficult to find so save up your money and keep it handy for when you do find one and act on it fast. However there are many conversion frames around and there is even a guy on here selling a Laeger 250R conversion to a KTM 525.

Lonestar does still make them, PRP will still make them and Walsh will too but very expensive.

I currently have an HRE frame being made that has a dual mounting system for both CRF motor and 250R motor.