PDA

View Full Version : heres the deal

matthewb20
03-24-2008, 06:38 AM
i have been posting questions about what to do cause my quad is smoking white pretty bad, and all your responses have helped, but now i have it all tore apart and if it were your quad would you replace the valves or just the piston and rings, the quad doesnt reallly smoke when ideling, but when you hold the throttle it really puffs, so just wondering if it were your quad what all would you do, thanks guys

03-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Mine went in for new rings 'cos of smoke but I had the valve seals done as well as a good clean up of the head. But it still smokes!!!

bwamos
03-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Not sure what quad you have, or your previous descriptions. But based on the small amount of info here, if it's whitish smoke at high throttle, it's most likley the rings. If it's open I'd certianly get the cylinder honed, and install new rings. Probably don't need a new piston unless it's worn/pitted.

Of course if it's a stock cast piston, a forged one couldn't hurt, if you've already got it open.

matthewb20
03-24-2008, 06:37 PM
i have a 2004 honda 400 ex thanks, do you know where i can get new rings for stock pistons for my make,

03-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Give JE a call.

Here's a link to the info you need;

JE Pistons (http://www.jepistons.com/cat/je/power/atv/honda/trx_400ex.shtml)