PDA

View Full Version : scraping noise and click

JG400ex
03-23-2008, 10:53 PM
Hey all,
I am new here, but what I've seen I like this site. I have a quick question concerning my 2000 400ex. This thing runs incredible and never misses a beat but I am noticing that when I start it up there is like a scraping noise which appears to be coming from the flywheel/starter clutch area. It does go away after a while, but I also notice a click if I accelerate the throttle when it is cold also. I had the valves adjusted hoping this would go away but nope. I have read on another thread that many of you have had this with your machines but nobody mentioned the click. It is not consistent like a bearing would be and also goes away when it warms up. Like I said this thing runs. The gentlemen I purchased it from took incredible care of the machine and always has the best of the best so I know it wasn't abused.

I am going to pull the side cover off just to make sure a needle bearing isn't floating around in there. By the way how hard is that flywheel to remove. I have found the puller I need, but any advise from you guys that have done this would be greatly appreciated. Also I have only had the machine for around six months and its been a cold winter not permitting much riding. Maybe I just need to learn my machines noises. I do love this quad. See ya John

BigBore24
03-24-2008, 09:51 AM
welcome to the site. the flywheel is real easy to take off. just remove the left side cover. pull the bolt out of the middle of it and use your puller to pop the flywheel off. when you get it off make sure to check the one way bearings that attach the flywheel to the starter gear. it should spin freely one way and lock in the other. make sure it is smooth and quiet. when putting the flywheel back on i believe it torques to 94 ft lbs.

JG400ex
03-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the info, hopefully I can dive into it this weekend. Thanks John.