PDA

View Full Version : Belt shredded

riding4fun
03-23-2008, 10:27 PM
What could have made my belt shred. I have been running it for the last 2 months with no problems. The bike ran good on Saturdays race.

But Sundays race was a different story. All I did before the race was change the small clutch springs and went with a smaller front sprocket. 1 1/2 laps into it the belt went. Just wondering what caused this so it doesn't happen again. Any ideas??

Logan #34's Dad
03-23-2008, 11:39 PM
THAT SUCKS FOR YOUR RIDER! Usually the rear spring being to tight will cause a belt to break down. Was it a stock belt? You might want to look into the Malossi Kevlar belt. IMO

etondaddy
03-24-2008, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by riding4fun
All I did
Famous last words....... I'll tell yea what you did you f'd with it..... lol. If there’s one thing I've learned in five years of this stuff is after you make it happy don't f with it.

For three years..Two in the 70's and one in the 90's we ran 19/28 sprockets with 18" tires big red Mallossi spring, red little Mallossi springs, a Mallossi non-adjustable clutch (no f'ing with it type), Mollossi belt, Koso bell, and a strong top end. We've ran all types of tracks with that set up and found it to be the best middle of the road deal... I can't remember the roller weights I think they were five gram but not sure right now. We won a lot of races with that set up.

JMO....... but make it happy and leave it alone......there's not a worse feeling in the world then when it breaks and you think you may have done it and you have to look him (her) in the eye. But like I’v always told Kyle sometimes you win sometimes you loose and sometimes in breaks………. That’s racin !!!!

Mike Kozura

raidernut
03-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Its most likely wasnt anything you did wrong. Chalk it up to the World Off Road Championship Series. This was truly the nastiest track conditions i have seen in 4 years of worcs. Havasu lake is always whooped out and nasty, but this was brutal. Most likely your belt integrity broke down on saturday, and just desinigrated on sunday. One of our team riders blew one also saturday in the last lap of the sport race. The Malossi Kevlar belt definately takes the heat better. Most likely you wont see conditions like that again this year. Sorry for your bad luck, but dont beat your self up, dnf's were abundant this weekend. Did the final tally for the weekend, 687 entries, 130 youth entries, 11 different states and two countries with riders! See you in Washington

riding4fun
03-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Mike,

That's exactly how I felt. Like it was my fault. I still need to look things over.

riding4fun
03-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by raidernut
Its most likely wasnt anything you did wrong. Chalk it up to the World Off Road Championship Series. This was truly the nastiest track conditions i have seen in 4 years of worcs. Havasu lake is always whooped out and nasty, but this was brutal. Most likely your belt integrity broke down on saturday, and just desinigrated on sunday. One of our team riders blew one also saturday in the last lap of the sport race. The Malossi Kevlar belt definately takes the heat better. Most likely you wont see conditions like that again this year. Sorry for your bad luck, but dont beat your self up, dnf's were abundant this weekend. Did the final tally for the weekend, 687 entries, 130 youth entries, 11 different states and two countries with riders! See you in Washington

That was pretty amazing all the entries. The track was pretty bad but Zachary said he liked it. The kid is wacko. I am hoping that the belt just broke down. I will have to try the Malossi belt.

See you next month.

etondaddy
03-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by riding4fun
Mike,

That's exactly how I felt. Like it was my fault. I still need to look things over.
That's a bad feeling........... I just hate to mess with it once I've found something

Mike Kozura

Tyler's Dad 95y
03-25-2008, 08:16 PM
We Shredded a Molassi Belt two times last year.
And the only thing we could find was ... HEAT!!
The sides if the belt got to hot from the springs we were using.
We had used the same set up for a year! And all the suddon
we started shredding belts...even the kevlar belt.
We made a few adjustments to the air flow and now we don't break down!!
It seemed that there was a fine line and when we crossed it
...we had to find somthing to fix the over heating in the
belt area.

QuadJunkies
03-26-2008, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Tyler's Dad 95y
And all the suddon
we started shredding belts...even the kevlar belt.
We made a few adjustments to the air flow and now we don't break down!!
It seemed that there was a fine line and when we crossed it
...we had to find somthing to fix the over heating in the
belt area.
This is what we are going to be looking into .
How did you do yours? My Husband has an idea, but wants to make sure we do it right. We were told this too might be why my Son is going threw belts quicker lately rather than the spring issue,but may be both.We will be inspecting things over more now that we have a month to work on things.We only had one day on a new belt. We had that issue at Pismo race, but I think that was an isolated inncident that several had that issue with the sand .

riding4fun
I know how you feel... Troy gets like that every time one of the kids break down, he feels like a failure and like hes let them down.It does suck, but Im sure your Son understands that Dad does everything to make sure hes running the best he can each wk end.;)
I think the toughest part is when you travel many miles and have something go wrong.

Mark, this is off topic ,but I just noticed that Round 5 shows only 2 days .... Is there no practice ? Just curious if you knew if that was a type-O?

Logan #34's Dad
03-27-2008, 09:27 AM
IF you are aircooled, go to your Polaris shop and ask about the air tube from (I believe) a scrambler 50/90. It is a tube that runs from the top of the plastic fan/engine cover across the top of the motor and them back down to the belt cover above the variatior. Then there is a rear snorkle looking tube that goes over the rear pulley. They will probably have to look it up on microfish but it is there and not very expensive. You will have to drill large holes in the plastic and steel but it is worth it.
I am now watercooled so I just drilled a couple 1/2 holes in the top of the belt cover for heat to exit. NOW you will have to clean your variator and rear clutch more often. When it is muddy and nasty I just cover the holes with good ole' duct tape.
Just my two cents.

XXX -rider
03-27-2008, 03:56 PM
thanks that post ..^,...just gave me an idea that will work great to keep that side of the motor cooler ..

Tyler's Dad 95y
03-28-2008, 12:59 PM
I didn't know that someone had one on the market.
But that us exaclly what I made for my sons quad.
I made ours with a radiator hose and we havn't had any problems since!
Good Luck... these mini quads are like no other!!