PDA

View Full Version : Mini Motocross racing, what to buy?

Pops5
03-23-2008, 10:22 PM
I posted this on another sight and did not get any replies. Hopefully you guys can help me out.
Alright, I have a couple kids that are ready to do some competitive racing. They currently have a couple 90s. One is a Honda and the other a Polaris. Instead of trying to get these race ready I would rather buy some race ready quads. After doing some research there are a lot of choices to make. First what kind of quads to get? Extreme Typhoon, Apex, DRR, Kasea? Then what about tranny? To shift or not to shift? Is this an advantage when racing 90s or 125s? How about 4 stroke or 2 stroke? Is it true a lot of tracks are going to 4 stroke only?

quadnana7
03-23-2008, 10:53 PM
there are not many race ready mini quads except the cobra and most of them still do some motor builds, some say you need to some say you don't it depends on who you are talking to and of course they run around 7 or $8000.00. We personally love the DRR and yes you can do motor builds, long travel, bling it up as much as you want but you still won't have 7 or 8000. in it even with all the builds.
It is also depends on the age of your children,and if they want to ride a shifter or CVT, there are classes for youths up to the age of 15 on CVT's.
I think you will see the DRR dominating the Nationals this year it is such an awesome quad. Check with Gary at G-Force Powersports he can answer any and all qestions you may have

No offense to anyone just another DRR lover and just my opinion:devil: :D :D :p

Logan #34's Dad
03-23-2008, 11:25 PM
I agree with Nana. Of course we are biased. However, we had to make the same decision at one time and chose DRR. What are their ages? If one is close to 15ish then I'd recommend a shifter quad so the next class will be easier for him to transfer into. If they are younger then CVT. GAS N GO! They can learn how to ride first and ease into shifting as the grow. That's my plan anyhow.
IMHO - Typhoon's are not that great (4 stroke and no cc level at the 70 class) You'll never out run a 70cc 2 stroke and 4 strokes cost a lot to make fast. Apex's are more money than DRR but kinda the same. Kasea's are single a-arms but kinda the same but with less technology.
To save you money, If you are not in a hurry, Buy a good used one because alot of the mods may already be done.

Pops5
03-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Thank you for the reply's. To answer your question Logan's Dad, My son is 9, and my daughter is 12, she is very petite though she has been riding quads recreationly for years and has become pretty aggressive the past couple years.
Another thing that is amazing is there is really nobody who has a good stock of these quads (DRR, typhoon, etc) out here in AZ. I realize it is a bigger sport for the Minis the further East you get.
I would consider a used one but its hard to know what you get because chances are it will not be here in my back yard, so to check for stress cracks and other problems would not be possible. Do you have the guy from G-Force phone number?

quadnana7
03-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Gary's 3 at G-Force Powersports is 561-676-1535
you won't regret going with a DRR

it3iceman
03-24-2008, 04:27 PM
I would check into the Apex's, they are located in Chandler. You can prolly go by Westcoast Quads and check them out in person. Plus, you would have the owner/dealer right in your back yard, in case you need parts.

bulldogfallon
04-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Apex or DRR would be the best choice.

4 stroke only is a ways offs.....You need to know the rules of where you are going to race....Some tracks throw all minis together and some segment it by cc or age etc...

Don't buy w/o finding out all the rules of your main riding sites...

Some areas have strong mini programs and in some areas it is an after thought. Do your homework

I know that the DRR dealer network is strong and owners take pride in their ownership.

With the right rider both can be hard to beat.

azextreme
04-22-2008, 08:41 PM
they sell DRR in Cave Creek, so you can find them all in AZ on hand except the Cobra.

bulldogfallon
04-23-2008, 05:04 AM
If your going to race then I would go to those tracks and see what type of Trackside support is available.

All brands will break and need constant maintenance and support by a local is priceless.

Purchase price can be tempting but local support if available is worth a higher purchase price.

Heed my warning on these 2 stroke racers...they require lots of hands on.

Its great to see your determination on getting your rider a more competitive ride.

Good luck the new apex sure seem to have a lot to offer in stock form

yfz450ba
04-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Stick with the 2 strokes. You will have to dump alot of cabbage in to the 4's to get them even close to the 2's. We have 2 Apexs. an 07 MXR 90 and a 08 MXR 90 LT, and we love them. The Apex's and the DRR's are your best buy for the buck. My buddy has an DS 90 X he paid 3500 for it, and had Hetrick do everything they have, for another 3500. It went from 3.5 HP stock to almost 12HP, and the stock LT beats it out of the hole and on top end. He even admits he should have bought as Apex. ( he could of had 2 for what he has in the DS.) Apex or DRR, either way you will get a good bike and you will be happy.