PDA

View Full Version : Turning 18

450rRacer22
03-23-2008, 02:39 PM
So im turning 18 on the 28th and i need to sign up for the draft or the selective service or whatever. I know my friends signed up and everything but i was talking to some people today and they were saying you can send them a letter to tell them that you dont want to be drafted into the army and that i wasnt supposed to sign up. Well from what i understand its the law that when you turn 18 you have to sign up so i was just curious as to what there talking about and if this is really true.

250r rider 88
03-23-2008, 03:45 PM
as far as i know you have to have a medical disability and prove trhu documentation that you are ineligable for military service, i have steel rods in my back but i still signed up, now if they ever institute the draft all i have to do is show them my x-rays with the rods or my 18" scar down the middle of my back and i wont have any problems, as far as i know thats the only way of not signing up you should recieve the paperwork in the mail by your 18th b-day or shortly after

hope that helps some

dpizz450
03-23-2008, 05:09 PM
hmmm... i never signed up. im about to be 19 in a couple months. or now that i think about it maybe i did sign something that came in the mail? not totally sure. but i know i deff didnt go no where to go sign up or nothing. if they want me they can come find me :devil:

KXRida
03-23-2008, 05:20 PM
just some food for thought, if you plan on going to college, you have to sign up for SS or you don't get federal aide.

FYI when you do sign up, the recruiters call you all the time. I'm almost 19 now and when I first signed up I got calls from the Navy, army, air force, marines, and something else.

450rRacer22
03-23-2008, 05:20 PM
lol i guess you can be fined and go to prison and what not if you dont sign up. You can just do it online at www.sss.gov if you dont think you have. I was in class one day and the cop that is at our school came in and handed me a sheet scared the hell outta me i thought i was in trouble or something but it was just the selective service sheet.

ZeroLogic
03-23-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm turnin 18 the 29!

Wait, draft? :confused:

03-23-2008, 08:17 PM
these marines tried to get us to sign up and join. They showed us a video and gave us forms to fill out saying it was a survey to see what career choices are available or something bogus... name, address, phone #. I didnt fill it out because I dont want to go into the army and I didnt want them calling my house asking me about joining. My friend being an idiot... he wrote down his name as "Jack Meoff" and his address as "Neverland Ranch". Oh man you should have seen how mad the marines got when they saw the paper and read Jack Meoff. It was hilarious but I was sure my friend wouldnt live to see the light of day. They didnt catch him though. Just something funny thats on the subject of trying to get people into the army.

400ex28
03-23-2008, 09:27 PM
I have gotten called by recruiters a couple times.

03-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I'm turnin 18 the 29!

Wait, draft? :confused:

its not a draft. you just gotta sign up incase there is one.

which reminds me, i never signed up yet hah

Sjorge450R
03-24-2008, 09:09 AM
you are automatically signed up when you apply for FAFSA. I fought my mom for days that i had to sign up. She was like "NO you dont! They are trying to trick you into joining the army" and then i found the law which reads, "You are also subject to the possibility of 5 years in prison and a $250,000.00 fine."

Needless to say. I tried to do it after i did my FAFSA and it was like, whups, you are already registered ;)

Rootar
03-24-2008, 09:29 AM
im already 19 and i never did, you do it to beable to vote.... i dont plan on voting if i have to sign up. besides im flat footed as a mofo and have to wear special insoles in my shoes:ermm:

and no i didnt fill out any federal aid forms for college, i wouldnt be eligible for anything anyways due to my parents.

only thing i did after i turned 18 was get my drivers lisecene renewed:ermm:

chris46250r
03-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Rootar
im already 19 and i never did, you do it to beable to vote.... i dont plan on voting if i have to sign up. besides im flat footed as a mofo and have to wear special insoles in my shoes:ermm:

and no i didnt fill out any federal aid forms for college, i wouldnt be eligible for anything anyways due to my parents.

If I didn't sign up nor intend to, I wouldn't be on a publically viewed forum with my full name in my sig, telling everybody. Also if you dont vote, dont ****** about the outcome.

KXRida
03-24-2008, 12:43 PM

Wow I hope you didn't go through your local bank for money then. I'd hate to see your interest rates! :eek2:

Ever hear of fasfa? Everyone gets it. Looks like you missed out.

bwamos
03-24-2008, 01:36 PM

If you got your drivers license renewed after turning 19 in Arkansas and signed anything you gave conscent to be registered into the draft.

30 states have this, as it simplifies the process. It's required by law anyway.

Illegal aliens are required to sign up for the draft also, lol.

KXRida
03-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by bwamos

Illegal aliens are required to sign up for the draft also, lol.

they should be the first people drafted!

450rRacer22
03-24-2008, 03:57 PM
so i need to sign up then?

KXRida
03-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by 450rRacer22
so i need to sign up then?

it would be a wise idea. Once you start college they usually don't bother you anymore.

450rRacer22
03-24-2008, 09:04 PM
What if im not starting college for another year yet? Im graduating in may, and then working for a year and then probly moving to florida and going to college there.

Rootar
03-25-2008, 06:02 PM
I dunno then?

i didnt sign anything when i got my lisecene renewed on my 18th birthday i was not even asked to i jsut took a new picture, i did not fill out the FAFSA becuase i am not eligble for ANY scholarships or grants due to my parents income, and i WILL NOT borrow money. im on a full ride for school and even have $300 a month to use for housing or gas...... and i have NEVER been called by the army, airforce, navy, or any of them the only time i have ever been asked about that was by a recruiter when they gave us our asvab scores back and i made a 92, and i told him i had better plans than that:ermm: he didnt really like that answer but he didnt bother me anymore. i guess when i get my drviers lisecene renewed when im 21 ill have to sign it but until then or until i get sent something in the mail im not signed up, and no im not gonna complain about who votes for what, i dont care... not right now atleast because i dont agree with anyone of them.

:confused: and whats the big deal about being on public forum if they wanna send me something to sign in the mail becasue i havent yet thats fine, but no one ever told me i had to and i wasnt gonna go outta my way to sign up for the draft or even to vote.

hell i might be wrong but no one ever sat me down after i turned 18 and told me i had to sign this and this and that it was the law. my luck ill get something in the mail next week from the government, hoepfully it has my tax refund with it.

fastredrider44
03-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Yes, sign up. It's the law, and it's not for drafting purposes. The US will most likely not have another draft. Politely tell the services you are not interested, and they will quit calling after a while. I forgot to sign up, and they sent me a letter in the mail telling me about the fines and the possible prison sentence. I signed up, never heard anything more about it, and never got anymore calls. Yes, if you ever go through FAFSA, you will have to have signed up.