PDA

View Full Version : Changing the oil in a 400ex

Slapasack
03-23-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm planning to change the oil in my '02 400ex this week and i don't have a service or owners manuel.

soo there is a drain plug on the left side of the engine close to the shifter right?

and is there a drain plug on the oil tank also?

lorenjr83
03-23-2008, 02:14 PM
yes one on the tank and one right by the shifter that take a 12mm. are you going to change the filter too?

250exkid
03-23-2008, 03:19 PM
there should be one under your oil filter a drain plug....?

Slapasack
03-23-2008, 03:30 PM
i dno i probably will change the oil filter since ill have all the oil drained anyways and i dont know when the last time it was changed

03-23-2008, 04:14 PM
you should always changed the filter when you change the oil

f4istunna
03-23-2008, 05:12 PM
ya definately change the filter. 14mm on the oil tank and 12mm on left side of motor behind shifter. takes just under 2 qts of oil if i remember right.

I usually pull the plug wire off and turn it over a few times to get oil circulating before i fire it up

Slapasack
03-23-2008, 08:40 PM
alright thanks and one more question i just bought the bike towards the end of last summer and he changed the oil right before i bought it and i didnt ride at all this winter really and i forget what kind of oil he said he had used so im not sure if synthetic oil was used in it before so would it matter if i used synthetic or not?

03-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
you should always changed the filter when you change the oil

actually they say change the oil filter every 2 - 3 oil changes.

f4istunna
03-23-2008, 09:23 PM
i change mine every oil change, theyre pretty cheap in bulk on ebay. Worth the peace of mind to me. Lots of ppl have no problems doing it every few changes. probably Saves enough $ to buy some new tires at the end of the year if you ride/change the oil alot :eek:

TRXRacer1
03-24-2008, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Slapasack
so im not sure if synthetic oil was used in it before so would it matter if i used synthetic or not? It doesn't matter what was used before. Synthetic or non just use something wet clutch safe.

Slapasack
03-24-2008, 08:25 PM
i have some pennzoil 5w30 left over from changing the oil in my truck but ive read in some other forums you shouldnt use car oil in a quad

Slapasack
03-24-2008, 08:42 PM
oh ya and another thing

does anyone know what the owners manual recommends to use?

i should probably invest in one huh

RideRed84
03-24-2008, 11:36 PM
I just changed my oil last week, it takes a little longer than most quads. If I remember right the manual calls for 10w40 and it takes 1.8 quarts. I bought valvoline's new ATV synthetic oil.

03-25-2008, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Slapasack
i have some pennzoil 5w30 left over from changing the oil in my truck but ive read in some other forums you shouldnt use car oil in a quad

10w40 oil sutable for wet clutches. A big NO NO with the 5w30 car oil.

Slapasack
03-25-2008, 04:14 AM
ok thanks for all your help

UNBROKEN
03-25-2008, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by RideRed84
I just changed my oil last week, it takes a little longer than most quads. If I remember right the manual calls for 10w40 and it takes 1.8 quarts. I bought valvoline's new ATV synthetic oil.

when did valvolene come out with there synthetic atv oil ive only seen the non syn, how much a quart is the atv syn ?

Slapasack
03-26-2008, 08:56 PM
well i changed the oil tonight which ended up being more difficult then i thought since i broke the short bolt on the oil filter cover but i some how managed to get the broken part out of the case and didnt strip the threads so at least i can still go ride this weekend!

Brauap
03-26-2008, 09:39 PM
How did you break it?! Also, for the oil filter cover it's 8mm; for the plug under the oil tank, thats 14mm; for the plug behind the oil tanks its either 18mm or 19mm; and for the plug behind the shifter is 12mm. Just remember those, and you dont have to worry about stipping any bolts. And remember, "Righty, tighty; lefty, loosy" and don't worrie about braking anymore bolts. Once you change the oil a few more times, it becomes real simple.

What I like to do, is say you have the plug off on the left side of your quad (by the shifter) I like to jack up the right ride and let it drain. When you drain it out the the tank, I take the bottom one out first, let it drain, and then take out the one behind it, and then jack up the front end. It seems to work real well.

Also, when you and putting the oil in, put 1 quart, and let it run for a minute or so. So the oil goes through the system. Then you can pour the other quart. If you don't, it overflow's and becomes a huge pain in the butt, with oil all over the ground. Trust me, it had happend to me a few times lol. But, dont put more than 2 quart of oil in, because then you start smoking, and oil and get in your air box, and it my ruin your seals on your engine.

I think that about covers it up. Now for the manual, I have the Clymer. It is wonderful! If you look on eBay, there are many. Type in, "400EX Manual" There are even some for $5.00, with free shipping, but I would get that, just because it may be for a lack of information, but I could be wrong. It may be quaility, for a cheepy price! There are even some on CD. What ever you want to use, but trust me, you will not be disipointed with the Clymer.

Well, if you read all that (which you should have) I hope changing the oil will be eseier for you next time.

Hope I helped!!!

-Colton

Slapasack
03-27-2008, 10:53 AM
ya i knew where everything was at and stuff i just broke that one bolt and like you said i got some oil on the ground from it overflowing but its all back together now

coryatver
03-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Ikilla2
10w40 oil sutable for wet clutches. A big NO NO with the 5w30 car oil.

car oil is actually better than most of the "ATV" stickered oil. Most of the atv specific oils are horrible. 5w30 is not heavy enough though I would use 20w50 synthetic for the 400ex.

my88r
03-27-2008, 11:26 AM
yea, i use spectro golden 20w-50

UNBROKEN
03-27-2008, 11:29 AM
yea those bolts are very easy to break my first change on mine i broke the long bolt man i was mad :mad: , and i wounldt use 20W50 in the winter summer only

RideRed84
03-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by UNBROKEN
when did valvolene come out with there synthetic atv oil ive only seen the non syn, how much a quart is the atv syn ?
No, your right. I thought it was syn but I'm wrong. I took what some one told me as fact. Now I'm pissed. It's not worth the extra price.

Brauap
03-27-2008, 08:30 PM
I just put (i think) 10W50 Thats what the Honda shop sells. But, I find it hard to remember what to use during the summer and winter? What #'s do you use for each? What do they mean?!

03-28-2008, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Brauap
I just put (i think) 10W50 Thats what the Honda shop sells. But, I find it hard to remember what to use during the summer and winter? What #'s do you use for each? What do they mean?!

Taken from Drivers Technology.co.uk;

VISCOSITY

Most oils on the shelves today are "Multigrades", which simply means that the oil falls into 2 viscosity grades (i.e. 10w-40 etc)

Multigrades were first developed some 50 years ago to avoid the old routine of using a thinner oil in winter and a thicker oil in summer.

In a 10w-40 for example the 10w bit (W = winter, not weight or watt or anything else for that matter) simply means that the oil must have a certain maximum viscosity/flow at low temperature. The lower the "W" number the better the oils cold temperature/cold start performance.

The 40 in a 10w-40 simply means that the oil must fall within certain viscosity limits at 100 degC. This is a fixed limit and all oils that end in 40 must achieve these limits. Once again the lower the number the thinner the oil, a 30 oil is thinner than a 40 oil at 100 degC etc. Your handbook will specify whether a 30, 40 or 50 etc is required.

zr7cat
03-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Thats my next project, just bought a new filter from the dealer and picked up some Amsoil 0-w40 synthetic oil.

Brauap
03-28-2008, 08:14 AM
Thanks for that info, Ikilla2! That sucks, I just put winter oil in and its starting to get warm!! :scary: :grr:

But whats summer oil? 10S50?

This stuff is soo good to know!!

DementeD
03-28-2008, 03:33 PM
i just changed my oil today and i think im about to do it again

i used castrol gtx 20w-50 and i really think i feel clutch slipage at full throttle.

imma ride it some more to figure it out forsure since i havent rode it much since..but im pretty sure its slipping..

can this cause any damage just curious..
sorry if i hijacked the thread a little bit but i figure its knowledge worth knowing...thanks

TRXRacer1
03-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks for that info, Ikilla2! That sucks, I just put winter oil in and its starting to get warm!! :scary: :grr:
You did not put winter oil in. You have the correct weight for high temp riding. The 10w just rates what it would be like in the winter or when it's cold it does not mean it's necessarily made for winter.

TRXRacer1
03-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by DementeD

can this cause any damage just curious..
If it has to many friction-modifiers... moly, etc you can screw up your fiber plates in the clutch.

DementeD
03-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
If it has to many friction-modifiers... moly, etc you can screw up your fiber plates in the clutch.
should it say on the bottle of oil??

so i can identify if it does/doesnt..

Brauap
03-28-2008, 05:03 PM
My bad, I didn't put 10W50 I put 10W40 is that stuff ok too? Sorry for being a pain ;)

TRXRacer1
03-28-2008, 06:22 PM
My bad, I didn't put 10W50 I put 10W40 is that stuff ok too? Sorry for being a pain ;) I run 10w-40 all year here in WI but some like running 10w-50 or 20w-50 in the summer.

JOEX
03-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by 250exkid
there should be one under your oil filter a drain plug....?
That isn't a drain plug but I suppose at least some oil could drained from there.

It's an inspection hole for the oil pump system.

250exkid
04-08-2008, 03:45 PM
can some one get some photo shoped pics of were the drain plug is on the left side of the motor? and the pluge on the oil tank the one on the bottom with the hose on it??? and whats the best way to change it run it for 5 mins so theres oil in it then open the drain plug or whats best?:confused: :confused: :confused:

DementeD
04-08-2008, 03:59 PM
the oil drain on the oil tank is located on the bottom of the oil tank
http://www.outlawnet.com/outlaw/sisters_middleschool/fun/ryan/truc/oil3.jpg

the second one is under the shifter lever here
http://www.outlawnet.com/outlaw/sisters_middleschool/fun/ryan/truc/oil2.jpg

imo do not use any automotive oil it causes the clutch to slip
i replaced it after a couple hours with hp4 from honda and everything is running great ..just a lil tip

and yes u can run it for a few mins to heat it up so it drains easier

other then that..put about 1.5quarts..let it idle for a few mins..then top it off ..should take 1.95 quarts however i just put the full two to be safe :D

250exkid
04-08-2008, 04:49 PM
OK THANK YOU SO MUCH THAT HELPED ALOT!!:macho

SHARPMACHINE
05-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by DementeD
the oil drain on the oil tank is located on the bottom of the oil tank
http://www.outlawnet.com/outlaw/sisters_middleschool/fun/ryan/truc/oil3.jpg

the second one is under the shifter lever here
http://www.outlawnet.com/outlaw/sisters_middleschool/fun/ryan/truc/oil2.jpg

imo do not use any automotive oil it causes the clutch to slip
i replaced it after a couple hours with hp4 from honda and everything is running great ..just a lil tip

and yes u can run it for a few mins to heat it up so it drains easier

other then that..put about 1.5quarts..let it idle for a few mins..then top it off ..should take 1.95 quarts however i just put the full two to be safe :D

ttt Good to know!!!

thanks

LMiller
05-06-2008, 06:09 PM
thanks for this info everyone.