PDA

View Full Version : No Air Box ?

CC Rider
11-22-2002, 02:14 AM
I recently removed my air box from my 400ex and it is way more "tourqey" responsive. Its running great but I have heard that you are supposed to rejet the carb. Is this really necessary or is this just something everyone is "sold" on? Can it damage anything by not rejeting? Thanks for the help

P.S I can take lilpoppy :devil

RiPPiNiTuP7
11-22-2002, 02:41 AM
:eek: I'm surprised your motor hasn't blown yet...a 400ex is already a tad lean from the factory, and then you took the airbox off, so its probably very lean. Don't ride your quad until you rejet it...do a search, you will find a ton of info...

BTW, You did buy a clamp on filter right? :rolleyes: :blah

danney f
11-22-2002, 02:44 AM
Check this thread:
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthr...&threadid=33364

ChadEXer
11-22-2002, 09:42 AM
Did you take the entire airbox off or just the lid?? If you took the whole box off thats not really a good idea!!!

Str8Wicked
11-22-2002, 09:56 AM
I had no air box and didn't re jet until I got an exhaust later...

Atomic83
11-22-2002, 10:24 AM
I see many fellow racers with their whole box off. I just have the lid off and it works fine. I wouldn't remove the whole box unless you race and don't mind cleaning the filter all the time.

YardDog24
11-22-2002, 10:34 AM
Damn, if I did that up here in the Pac NW I would lose a motor to water in about 15 sec. I envy you drylanders! Course, I do love playing in the mud.....

Extremeracer167
11-22-2002, 10:44 AM
Yeah any motor will run GREAT and tourqey like u say....if its LEAN! Thats a bad idea bud. Im surpirsed u didnt notice your headers turning funky colors, or feel like the bikes on fire underneath you. Ide put it back on, and if anyhting run with no lid. But if u are gona do that.....REJET!!

ChadEXer
11-22-2002, 10:51 AM
Extreme,
Your only 100 miles from TC's shop,,,dont you want to go up there for me and tell him to hurry it up:D

JhallettEX
11-22-2002, 11:19 AM
Hurry what up Chad? What are you getting done now?

ChadEXer
11-22-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by JhallettEX
Hurry what up Chad? What are you getting done now?
I had the bike running extremely lean and blew out a head gasket,,Tom has to make the head gaskets by hand so i sent him the whole motor! He is going to make a few extras just in case but he said If I richen up the carb like it should have been in the first place it wont happen again!! The best part is it was all my fault and TC is taking care of all of it for me!!! New things I have added while its down is I ceramic coated(not really ceramic but real shiny)coated my header and TC midpipe inside and out by HP Coatings, polished my TC silencer, added a +5 swingarm, adding a 42mm Lectron with powerjet for methynol, and Ive polished everything on the bike that can be polished(calipers, brake rezzy, levers, swingarm linkage, and amny many other things!!!!) I will have the side cases polished to a chrome finish when I get the motor back and shine the rest of the motor up real nice by hand! I wont get my swingarm in from Sandragon until Dec 6th so Im not really in a hurry for the motor, but I would like to go ahead and start getting the cases polished!!

QuadTrix6
11-22-2002, 11:37 AM
running no air box is a bit risky for where i ride :eek:

ChadEXer
11-22-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by QuadTrix66
running no air box is a bit risky for where i ride :eek:
I believe running no air box is risky no matter where anyone rides!!! I dont think the minor power gain, if any over a removed lid, is worth sacrificing your motor over!!!

stocktires
11-22-2002, 11:46 AM
I'd be way too scared to take the entire air-box off. The filter could get nocked off easily (sticks, roost, vibrations) and there goes your top-end!
I run my R with a aftermarket lid and my 300ex with no lid

DEFINATLEY re-jet!

Extremeracer167
11-22-2002, 11:49 AM
Chad,
We are heading up there here shortly, cause me, my dad, and Frank G. are going up there to pick up some parts. Prob. wont be for a week or so though. Ill mention something to him though, lol

ChadEXer
11-22-2002, 01:28 PM
Well i sure hope I have the damned thing by another week!! Was supposed to get it last Tue!!!

Extremeracer167
11-22-2002, 01:29 PM
hes a hard man to get ahold of somedays. But ill wait the extra time for his work!:D

ChadEXer
11-22-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
hes a hard man to get ahold of somedays. But ill wait the extra time for his work!:D
Yeap, thats what Im doing, although I just cant wait to get this thing on the drag strip with my new +5 swingarm and alky carb!!!

lilpoppy
12-25-2002, 06:27 PM
by the way guys this guy is my friend and he runs his quad with no box and he has never oiled his filter since day 1!! He is just running the stock filter and washing it off with gas after every ride. Tell him how he is being a total jackass!!