PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Steering Stabilizer/damper

REPOMAN
03-23-2008, 11:02 AM
me and the guys have been riding alot of trails lately. lots of turns, whoops, real tight stuff. they are desert trails and most of our friends have dirtbikes ride these trails. about 40 miles long. my arms are dying. last week i ordered a mosse/terry cable dual gasser and i am waiting on it to come in. i want a damper/stabilizer and not sure what brand. i do NOT want a stick type as i know i will blow it out immediatley. price really is not a concern i just want the best. one of my buddies has the scotts on his yfz and loves it. but other than that he is the only one i know with one. all the dirt bike guys have the same one and love them. i am trying to decide between scotts, elka and precision. input from owners of any of these would be great

LeGaCyGiAnT124
03-23-2008, 01:16 PM
I have never blown my stick stabilizer out before and I beat it on hard rocks, logs, ect. But if that is not what you want the precision seems to be one of the best. If you look on there site they have a video of them beating it with a hammer and not moving the other persons fingers off while doing so. I would say the precision would be your best bet and I am sure others will agree.

hornetgod13
03-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Your going to love your dual gasser. It's a blast to run.

Don't dismissed a stick style stabilizer. They are rebuildable for less than $20.00 and are surpisingly durable. The 7 adjustable settings is a nice plus too.

REPOMAN
03-23-2008, 04:52 PM
i am not trying to say the stick ones are no good just no good for where i ride. i have 2 friends that started wih those and blew them both the first time they used them. i want to be able to also make the best possible set up. i think this is going to be achieved with a non stick style damper. i have been doing some research and it seems that the scotts doesnt have a kit for my lonestar stem only stock. i want to be able to adjust on the fly and scotts is. elka does not say it is but does work with my stem. i think i am starting to lean towars the elka stage 5.
hornet i cant wait for the dual gasser to come in. 08400EX said he loves his also. should be here mon, or tuesday.

hornetgod13
03-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Precision makes a great dampener and they have mounting kits for a 400EX.

REPOMAN
03-23-2008, 06:11 PM
yeah i watched that video and it is bad *****. but elka will be handle bar mount and i can adjust on the fly. man its ard to decide.

REPOMAN
03-24-2008, 01:41 PM
well went down and ordered a elka stage 3 damper this morning should be in friday. i will let you guys know how it turns out.
also my dual gasser came in today. will put it on tonight or tommorow.

03-24-2008, 02:08 PM
my question is always how easy or hard is it to blow out shocks or steering stabilizer? I hit some pretty nard stuff flying through the trails and its no fun. Those logs, roots, ruts and little stumps will take your bars away no matter how hard you hold on to them. I want a stabilizer but I deffinately cant afford ones oher than the stick. Which is fine as long as I dont blow them out every other time I ride.

08400EX
03-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by REPOMAN
yeah i watched that video and it is bad *****. but elka will be handle bar mount and i can adjust on the fly. man its ard to decide.

Repoman,

Congrat on getting the Elka, I have a feeling you will like it.

You mention a Bar mount option, I didn't see that on Elka's site. Is this custom or what... ???

Thanks,

REPOMAN
03-24-2008, 07:26 PM
no its going to be below on the stem. i thought it was going to be bar mount. ohwell cant win them all. i got my dual gasser on today though. its cool i cant wait to hit the trails wed.