PDA

View Full Version : Radiator fan

Unverfehrt400ex
03-23-2008, 10:08 AM
after a year of having my bike, lots of hard riding and a cross country race my fan has yet to ever turn on. i'm just curious as to how you go about grounding it and checking to see if it actually works or not? thanks in advance

eastside 400
03-23-2008, 12:00 PM
if u wanna check to make sure the temp sensor is working, let it sit and idle for about 10 mins and it should turn on, just make sure its not overheating when you do it. If you wanna ground the fan just unplug and wire going to the temp sensor, cut the female spade connector off and crimp on a eyelet and ground it to the frame, i ground it to where the coil grounds because its in the perfect spot, pretty much right where the wire used to go to the temp sensor. you can also unplug it and touch it to ground with the quad running and it should turn on to make sure it works but that wont tell you if your temp sensor is bad.

gotwarrior
03-23-2008, 01:13 PM
I am kind of worried about mine also.. i have seen mine on twices since i have owned it.. but it could be on and you would never know it when you were ridding.. I do XC racing with mine and i have yet to have a problem..

Unverfehrt400ex
03-23-2008, 01:40 PM
who knows maybe i'm just not getting it hot enough for it to turn on. thanks for the input though guys i'll give it a try

03-23-2008, 03:44 PM
You don't have to cut the harness. Just make a small jumper wire. Put a male spade terminal on one end and an eyelet on the other end. then you can put it back to stock and you don't cut the factory harness. That is what I did. I grounded it where the coil grounds to the frame.

03-23-2008, 06:28 PM
is there a way to lower the temperature it kicks on at? I have seen people that wire it to stay on with a switch.

03-23-2008, 06:58 PM
The only way I know of to do that is get a fan switch that turns on at a cooler temp.

NJ450rider
03-23-2008, 07:35 PM
in the 3 years ive had my 450R the fan has only come on a handful of times. It only ever comes on when your sitting and ideling for at least 10 minutes or your going slow revving it really high for a while. Like being in alot of sand. As long as your riding it and moving at a good pace it will never come on. Hell crf450's dont have a fan and they dont over heat unless they sit and idle. The fan on a 450r atv is just insurance itll never over heat. In reality you dont even need a fan.

03-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by NJ450rider
in the 3 years ive had my 450R the fan has only come on a handful of times. It only ever comes on when your sitting and ideling for at least 10 minutes or your going slow revving it really high for a while. Like being in alot of sand. As long as your riding it and moving at a good pace it will never come on. Hell crf450's dont have a fan and they dont over heat unless they sit and idle. The fan on a 450r atv is just insurance itll never over heat. In reality you dont even need a fan.

Maybe for the North that is true, but down here in South Florida it is hot. I have my fan grounded to run all the time.

NJ450rider
03-23-2008, 08:03 PM
i gets to 90's and 100's in the summer and my fan still never turns on while riding. It could be because i use engine ice.

blacknblue#2
03-23-2008, 11:39 PM
I took my fan off. Alot of guys (including a couple on the ol internet here) called me an idiot but i also run engine ice. I have only had my temp light and some slight boiling happen one time and that was when i got suckered into taking it through the 4th of july parade last year. Thank god i live in a small town it just started gettin hot at toward the end so i just stopped and let it set for about 10 minutes.

fastredrider44
03-24-2008, 05:22 PM
I have an 05, no battery. I'm here to tell you I run mine hard, very hard, XC racing, and It has never came on since I've owned it, I don't really know if it works.

eastside 400
03-24-2008, 08:01 PM
im not sure how you guys know that its never been on??? you cant hear it until you stop so it could be on when your riding

manson98
03-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Well mine has never been on that I am aware of. I race mx but it has been to Glamis and the the Waynoka in OK several times and never worked and I finally just took it off. Alot of mx racers have done this.
It is good insurance if it does work!