PDA

View Full Version : Tons of Fox Float evol questions.

NJ450rider
03-23-2008, 06:36 AM
Well i got my Fox float Evols on my 450R finally. They seem pretty go so far but i got alot of questions.

Heres what im running:

Main chamber is 45psi
Evol chamber is 150 psi

Im 236 lbs with ridding gear on. The ride height is good after measuring but it still feels like the front end is nose diving. also it looks like i got about 2 inches(maybe close to 3) of travel im not using.

Do i let some of the evol chamber out to use all of the travel?

Will that mess up the ride height at all?

When you hit the front brakes does the front end always drop a ton?

Or is the compression to fast or the rebound too slow? I havent messed with them yet so i dunno where they are.

How often does everyone check the air pressures?

It says always adjust the evol chamber first. So does that mean if you want to only adjust the main chamber you gotta let the air out of the main/evol chambers and start over?

Im just wondering what everyone else is running too. I must say these things are so smooth its not even funny. Right now im saving up for a rear LT shock cause you can really see how absolutely crappy the stock rear shock is lol. BUt these things are great and worth every penny.

Also fox said a few weeks ago the wait time right now for a new set is the end of april. They are having an extremely hard time keeping up with the demand.

kawabunga
03-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by NJ450rider
Well i got my Fox float Evols on my 450R finally. They seem pretty go so far but i got alot of questions.

Heres what im running:

Main chamber is 45psi
Evol chamber is 150 psi

Im 236 lbs with ridding gear on. The ride height is good after measuring but it still feels like the front end is nose diving. also it looks like i got about 2 inches(maybe close to 3) of travel im not using.

Do i let some of the evol chamber out to use all of the travel?

Will that mess up the ride height at all?

When you hit the front brakes does the front end always drop a ton?

Or is the compression to fast or the rebound too slow? I havent messed with them yet so i dunno where they are.

How often does everyone check the air pressures?

It says always adjust the evol chamber first. So does that mean if you want to only adjust the main chamber you gotta let the air out of the main/evol chambers and start over?

Im just wondering what everyone else is running too. I must say these things are so smooth its not even funny. Right now im saving up for a rear LT shock cause you can really see how absolutely crappy the stock rear shock is lol. BUt these things are great and worth every penny.

Also fox said a few weeks ago the wait time right now for a new set is the end of april. They are having an extremely hard time keeping up with the demand.

I'll try to answer some of your questions:

When you're jumping is where you'll most likely use the travel that you don't notice.

Just go by the book for settings as far as weight/a-arm combo goes and use that as a starting point.

If the front end seems like it's diving too much, stiffin up the compression, that should slow that down.

I wouldn't let too much air out of the Evol chamber, that's your bottom out chamber, if there isn't enough air in there you're more likely to bottom out.
However, your ride height is determined by the Main chamber, so letting air out of the Evol chamber won't affect it too much, it may somewhat. Not much though.

To correct the front brake dive, harden the compression again. If you have the DSC suspension, stiffen the low speed compression.

I check the air in mine before every ride. It's not hard to do and doesn't take long, might as well make sure it's right.

To make adjustments, do the Evol chamber first, however, you do not have to let the air out of the Main chamber to do so. Just go in the order Evol, then Main.

I'm running 35 psi in the Main and 120 psi in the Evol with +2 arms. I'm only 145-150 lbs though.

I hope some of this helps.

eastside 400
03-23-2008, 11:57 AM
yea hes pretty much right, the only thing i noticed is that each shock seems to be different for air pressure. most people run 175 or so in the evol but im up at 215 and it bottoms out on the hardest hit on most tracks, just go by what feels right. make sure you check the pressures with the front end in the air, no weight on it.

BeltSlipper
03-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
yea hes pretty much right, the only thing i noticed is that each shock seems to be different for air pressure. most people run 175 or so in the evol but im up at 215 and it bottoms out on the hardest hit on most tracks, just go by what feels right. make sure you check the pressures with the front end in the air, no weight on it.

Not to highjack the thread, but your running 215#'s in the evol? What is your weight? If you don't mind me asking. We run 135# and haven't come close to bottoming out.

But answer to the thread question. These gentlemen couldn't have answered any better than I. I totally agree with.

D Bergstrom
03-26-2008, 11:48 PM
I weigh 225, and I am running 40 psi in the main and only 100 in the evol chamber. This is for desert riding. I tried to bump up the evol chamber to about 150, but it was way to harsh of a ride. I have messed around quite a bit with both, and keep coming back to the above settings.

I also check the air pressures before every ride.

Doug

NJ450rider
03-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Well it seems like ive got em about in the right place than. If anything i might try and put the evol chambers down to 140 and see if i use the extra 2 to 3 inches ot travel left on the shock body.

One other question is it normal to feel the shocks "clunk" when they are fully extended out? Like slowing down and than a hard acceleration. Or when going off a jump?

Hah or am i just being way to picky/paranoid about this.

eastside 400
03-27-2008, 07:59 PM
i weigh about 180 so maybe 190 with gear on or so, my pressures always seemed high to people but thats where they work good, im also a fairly good rider, i won A class last year so im not slamming into jumps or anything either, i think its all in the A-arm and i think each shock is different also

kawabunga
03-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by NJ450rider
One other question is it normal to feel the shocks "clunk" when they are fully extended out? Like slowing down and than a hard acceleration. Or when going off a jump?

Hah or am i just being way to picky/paranoid about this.

It shouldn't be overly obvious.
I can't say that I ever hear mine do that.
Did they just start doing this or have they always?
How old are the?

NJ450rider
03-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Not hear i "FEEL" them clunk when fully extended. I can feel when there fully extended out. I dunno maybe the compression is to soft and the rebound isnt right.

The fox shocks are brand new i got like 3 rides on em. About 13 hours or so.

Also I didnt realize they loose air so friggin fast. In 3 days of sittin my evol chambers went from 150 to 80. Also the main chambers went up???? I set them a few days ago at 45 and when i checked them tonight they were at 55??? I think that kinda strange.

450R-156
03-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Are you checking your air pressure with the tires of the ground if you dont that will mess up your air pressure.

NJ450rider
03-30-2008, 06:10 AM
The quad is off the ground when checking. Same thing again when i checked em the evol chamber was only at 50 from 150 and the main chamber went up to 55 from 45.

And thats after a day of riding and them sitting over night. I dunno doesnt that seem there loosing way to much air and theres a leak?

kawabunga
03-30-2008, 10:20 AM
There shouldn't be a leak already. But I guess you never know.
That doesn't sound that strange to me though.
My evol chambers are the ones that drop faster. I have mine set at 120 and when my wheeler sits for a weeks it's usually down to about 100. The main chambers on mine don't usually loose much air if any sometimes. Still I check them though.
When your air pressure went up, did the temp go up from the day before? That can do that. It's just like your car tires. During the winter you have to inflate them more and when it starts warming up you have to let air out to compensate for the larger air molecules for when it gets warmer. Same rules apply for the air inside your shocks.
I've never seen my evol chamber go up though, and I think that just because of the high amount of pressure. It just has to diffuse somewhere.

As for the clunking feeling, check your rebound. Maybe it's too fast so the shock extends back out a little too quick and you're getting some kick-back from it. Also, maybe try letting out a SMALL amount of air from you main chamber. Not so much that it'll affect your ride height too much if it's at where you need it though. Because they are your ride height setting, the shock returns to that spot, and maybe too much air will send them back out too quickly, but I would say it's the rebound. Try that first and then try the main chamber if that doesn't work.

450R-156
03-31-2008, 01:57 PM
I would call fox, something has to be wrong with that shock, my evols that have been beat on for the last two years riding mx with out a rebuild lost five pounds in either chamber at the most over the winter and after rides they dont loose to much air

NJ450rider
04-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Yup Fox says theres probably something wrong with em. There on there way back to be warrantied and also converted to the DSC setup like i originally orderd. All free of charge i hope they find the probelm and fix em or else im done with Fox.