PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problems

raceready12
03-22-2008, 11:05 PM
I just did a top end rebuild on my 05 yfz 450 and i have to cross the cylinoid to get it to start. My starter button does not work for some reason, but when i cross the cylinoid, with the battery charger on the battery, it will start and run for about 3 seconds and die. If i leave the cylinoid crossed it will stay running. I also have a kickstart on it and it will not start when i kick it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ride1Rob
03-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Was it doing this before you did the topend rebuild? What wires did you take off when doing this?

raceready12
03-26-2008, 01:05 PM
No it was not doing this before i did the top end rebuild. I took off the entire wiring harness because i had the frame and some little parts powder coated.

But before i took it all apart i did have a problem with the starter. When i pushed the starter button the cylinoid would click and then start to turn over. But i think my starter was goin bad.

Ride1Rob
03-26-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm thinking that maybe somethings not grounded like it should be. Did you make sure that everything is wired correctly? You're pretty much going to have to check the harness. Make sure your grounds and such are tite. I had to crossjump mine some years ago and it turned out that my harness had gone bad.

450racers.com
04-04-2008, 06:29 AM
I had this problem with mine and turns out one of the fuses on the solenoid was loose. Even though the fuse was pushed all the way in it was not making a connection. After I ran some zip ties around both fuses it worked and has been fine since.

Also if you had the frame powder coated make sure you have a good ground.