PDA

View Full Version : So I gotta ask.

kawabunga
03-22-2008, 10:39 PM
I've been looking at the DS 450 for quite a while and I must say that I'm intrigued to say the least. A few questions have come to mind and I figure the best people to ask would be owners of the machine itself.

First qustion I have is how hard is it to work on the motor of these? Just from looking at the frame it seems like it would get in the way and just be awkward. How is maintenence in general? They seem pretty high tech so do they require any extra attention aside from the usual?

I know that they just came out and usually there are first year bugs, are there any for the DS?

I'm currently riding a Honda 450R with LT + 2 arms, Fox shocks, + 4 axle, pipe, filter, porting, and other goodies, how big of a change would it be to go to a DS? I know there's the difference of going from a built quad to a stock quad, but I've been hearing how good they are from the showroom floor. Would I be let down?

Also, how hard is it to get parts for these? There are all kinds of companies out there making parts for the Japanese bikes, is it going to be like that for the DS's eventually?

I'm just curious about all this while I'm trying to decide on the next quad I would want to get.
I want to make sure I make the right choice, hopefully you guys can help me out.
Thanks in advance.
kawabunga

Spaceace
03-23-2008, 11:25 AM
I have only had my DS for a couple months and being winter I haven't had too many chances to ride, and I haven't done any engine work yet.

However, I believe the part of the frame that is blocking easy access to the engine is removeable.

There are a couple small bugs I think. I know on mine it leaks a little coolant after each ride. I heard some other guys have had the same issue, but that it is just a hose clamp that needs replacing. Also on two different occasions my chech engine light started blinking and the bike was in limp mode. I don't know what caused that but both times were after i had topped off my fuel tank, and I think maybe there is some sensor that detects when you overflow the fuel tank???? I don't know...

I have never had an aftermarket suspension set up like you have, but I can tell you the suspension on my DS is unbelievably better than my YFZ. I would imagine if you have a ported 450r w/ exhaust, filter etc, you will notice a significant drop-off by moving to a stock DS. I consider the stock DS to be in the range of my stock YFZ but only with a different powerband (YFZ good low and DS good up top)

There are some exhausts, and filter kits,etc out for the DS already and I think there will be a strong aftermarket similar to the Japanese bikes.

If you want we can meet up on the trails somewhere ( I am in Marshfield ) and you can take mine for a test ride, but I am not going to keep mine in stock form for long.

choadium
03-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Hello fellow Wisconsinites. I traded in my LTR450 for my DS and I have to say that the suspension is completely different. I know that my LTR was a "MX" quad, but most of my riding is on the trails near Eau Claire and the that thing was stiff. I think I had a kidney rattle out more than once. I did have a Honda 450r before the LTR. Comparing to the Honda I would say that the DS has similar riding characteristics. You sit kind of high on the quad. The suspension is softer on the DS though. The handling is unbelievable too. :D

ds450maniac
03-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Hey choadium, how different is the DS's power vs. the LTR's was? I was just wondering because I'm getting a new quad soon and I'm lowered my choices from 7 450's to the LTR and DS and I was just wondering how they stack up against each other and does the DS have a lot of leg room cause I'm 6" foot tall and growing and need room. I'm sorry to interupt your thread kawabunga just needed to ask some questions.

choadium
03-23-2008, 10:52 PM
All I had done to my LTR was the cherry bomb and an HMF slip-on. I haven't done anything to the DS yet so I can't be certain. Stock vs stock it feels like the DS has more though. I think it has plenty of leg room for me. I'm also over 6' 2" too. I did have to put on the "X" package handlebars to gain some height. :D

kawabunga
03-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks for all the input thus far.

ds450maniac - Don't worry about it, the more questions asked, the more I learn about them.

choadium - Sounds like you're happy with the upgrade. I rode a pretty much stock LTR last fall and I liked it. Not quite as much as my Honda but I really liked the idea of EFI. The DS has that as well though so no real advantage having it then. I was considering an LTR because of the extra width and thinking of the money I'd be saving on buying aftermarket parts. I'd probably want to get shocks regardless though, stock usually doesn't cut it.

Spaceace - Is this coolant leak something that's common? Sounds easy enough to fix though. I've read that the power on DS is greatly helped by cutting that wire and pulling the pea shooter and lid off. Then they run with mild motor work on other quads.

ThePhantomRider
03-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Questions are always great especially when you're dealing with a new quad.

Fact is each 450 has an area they work well in, some cover more bases than others and that's where I think the DS shines is that you can take it out on a track with stock shocks and have fun without harshness or bottoming and then take it on the trail and keep your kidneys where they should be.

I think the big thing that is still overlooked is the benefit of Can-Am adding the 2nd EFI map to allow for the traditional mods to be implemented without needing to get a power commander. They do realize that people will still like to have one and noodle with the fuel/air curves, but just adding the exhaust and filter mods, this motor is completely different.

TPR

#17YFZRACER
03-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Hey choadium, how different is the DS's power vs. the LTR's was? I was just wondering because I'm getting a new quad soon and I'm lowered my choices from 7 450's to the LTR and DS and I was just wondering how they stack up against each other and does the DS have a lot of leg room cause I'm 6" foot tall and growing and need room. I'm sorry to interupt your thread kawabunga just needed to ask some questions.

if you are going to buy a new quad wait for the 09 yfz. it is going to be good. read this

Grayson man to help design new 4-wheeler for Yamaha
A Grayson County man has been dubbed to help Yamaha design the frame and suspension for some of their 2009 series four-wheelers.
Yamaha California and Japan have enlisted the help of Rocky Ridge Racing owner Kenny Cornwell to help with their 2009 Yamaha YFZ 450 four wheeler.
Cornwell, who is a Leitchfield resident, was asked to build an aluminum frame and better suspension on Yamaha's bike for seven-time national champion Bill Balance.
The first prototype was built in January 2007. Cornwell and Balance tossed ideas back and forth on what would work best for the bike. Plans were for a new modified frame, suspension, better travel, front rear, and also improved ride height.
Two engineers from Japan and two from California flew in for a meeting to discuss plans for the bike. "It took five hours to discuss and explain to the engineers what we were trying to do," said Cornwell. "The funny thing is that I still don't think they fully understand what we were talking about."
The bike was then sent to Balance motocross park in Bowling Green. The park is located just off of 31W in Bowling Green. "Two Japanese riders and engineers were flown in to test the bike," explained Cornwell. "Yamaha approved the bike for research and development purposes."
The bike was then shipped to California for further testing. It is now in Japan undergoing further testing. "Yamaha California plant didn't want to let the bike go, they loved it," said Cornwell. "That bike was put through the paces, they were trying to break it down."
He said it didn't fail testing. It took six weeks to design and engineer the bike, then 80-100 man hours to build it. They made four bikes total for Bill Balance to use for racing purposes.
"The other guys racing against Bill knew the bike wasn't production," explained Cornwell. "They protested it but AMA threw the complaint out, Yamaha had already recieved approval through AMA to race."
Cornwell said he and Balance talk on a weekly basis. He said Balance was really good at setting up changes on bikes and giving feedback on how a bike is doing.
Balance has been a factory Yamaha rider for three years. Cornwell said the bike will be available to public in September 2008. "Depending on production time, limited quantities may be only available at first," explained Cornwell. "It will have in 2007 a new frame, new motor and be fuel injected."
He estimates the cost of the bike to be any where from $7,000-8,000. As for Balance's prototype bike. "He has a six to eight point lead this season," said Cornwell. "He is going for his eighth championship, which is unheard of, he took second place last year."
Cornwell himself talked of possibly returning to the sport competitively in the future. He has been involved with racing all of his life. He won three national championships in 1997.
Then he came back in 2000 and won two more national championships.
"Yamaha Race team approached me about being their team coordinator for them," said Cornwell. "I told them thanks but no thanks, I am settled with my two young kids and want to spend time with them."
By Missy Mudd
Reporter

kawabunga
03-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Where did you find that YFZRACER?

#17YFZRACER
03-25-2008, 04:50 PM
it was posted up on the yfz forum a couple months ago. someone else found it. go to the yfz forum and search 2009 yfz450 and it is all over that thread. im not sure id trust all that it says but the frame and efi i think are true. as far as the other stuff ive heard is there is supposed to be a completely new motor but thats a little crazy. i dont see it happening but...? either way you look at it yamaha has something big planned;)