PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem

quadracer707
03-22-2008, 02:32 PM
OK guys new to the mini quad buisness. Just bought a 2001 90 with a bore kit in the 115 - 120 range. My son was riding it 2 days & no trouble. As night time was coming in 1st gear it was a little
sluggish & stalled a couple times. I got on & seemed ok, however it was spitting a little. 5 minutes later it stalled twice & was hard to start, but did. 5minutes later samething started spitting even when giving lots of throttle. Stalled and stayed stalled this time. Checked gas it was very low & figured that was problem since no reserve.
Next day bought race gas & mixed as told to. Checked oil, very low almost took 3/4 of the litter bottle. Went to start & nothing seemed like kill switch was not in, not even trying to start. Took plug out & was real oiled & gunked up.Now this is going to need a ring job as it was smoking when riding but not a lot. Changed spark plug, still nothing.

Now here is what i did so maybe we can elimanate things. Iam open to any ideas, as Iam learning how to work on mini's.
Checked plug for spark GOOD.
Checked to see if any compression it blew my finger away.
sprayed carb cleaner in spark plug hole nothing, and tried starting.Sprayed carb cleaner in air box hole nothing, and tried starting.
Opened bottom of nut under carb & let out some gas to make sure no water in it.
To the best of my knowledge no wires are loose or off, including grounds.
Gas is getting to shut off valve& thru to carb.
This quad always started on 3-4 pulls. If there was a key switch on here I would swear that is was off. Iam stumped & flustered. Any help or suggestion appreciated.

Thanx in advance

Ken

3-D Racing Dad
03-22-2008, 06:17 PM
I've had this problem before. 99.9% of the time it's electrical, check all of your ground wires, where they mount to the frame and check your coil wires make sure everyting is tight and not pulling out of there connections.

quadracer707
03-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Checked all grounds, everything tight. Looked at all wires could not see anything visual, if iam getting spark to the plug, wouldn't my coil wire be ok?? or am i missing something. Also tried squirting in a little ether in airbox and nothing happened. I will re look over wires sunday. Could a valve get stuck with having a ring problem??

Thanx Ken