PDA

View Full Version : rear shock choices axis/elka/fox

mx1791
03-22-2008, 01:49 PM
im going to order a rear shock for my yfz. i need some opinions, esp from ppl that have used any of these shocks. i have it narrowed down to-

Fox podium Hi/Lo speed

Axis

Elka Hi/Lo speed

** all 3 come with comp/rebound adjustment and dual rate springs **

kodymx13
03-22-2008, 02:42 PM
AXIS. always been a fan and thats what i run now. if you get your fox set up right ive heard their great. stay away from elkas. unless you like pogo sticks. "i know ill get some hate mail for that"

mx1791
03-22-2008, 11:40 PM
i hate elka, but my friend got one and its surprisingly pretty nice feeling. i want the axis but it sucks that its not hi/lo :ermm:

racernorris
03-23-2008, 06:57 AM
does makes a hi/lo compression adjustable shock, also the plush ride system, and so on. the fox evols and podium x are a better value for the price, even comparing to the elka. you need to compare the high end shock of all three companies and u will understand what i mean about the price/value.

Norris
quinn motorsports:macho

f4istunna
03-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Im not a fan of elkas either ive rode on a few different sets and for all the hype they didnt impress me much.

I like axis shocks ive never tried a rear but love the fronts and plan on getting rear soon.

Ive heard good things about fox but havent had a chance to ride on them yet.

mx4christ
03-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Tip #1 STAY AWAY FROM ELKA!!! People love the fox evols up front but I have heard from several racers that they don't care too much for the podium rear. I would highly recommend the Axis. They are working on a new air ride for the rear so down the road you can have it converted. The thing that made me choose to get Axis was the PLUSH ride system which greatly aids in avoiding bottoming out. Axis and Ohlins are the only ones I know of that have that feature. I do not have my Axis shocks yet but I have done about 40 hours of research and speaking with racers and mechanics.

Colby@C&DRacing
03-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Axis makes a nice shock but for less money you could buy a Stadium rear shock with high/low speed comp. Stadium makes some of the best shocks available.

f4istunna
03-24-2008, 09:05 AM
I have heard good things about those also. Good quality and price is always a good thing.

How exactly does the high/low speed adjustablilty work? By how much force is applied to the shock im assuming??

pudamac12
03-24-2008, 09:55 AM
yeah I would get the axis. You will be fine without the hi/lo. people have been fine without it for a long time. a lot of people end up getting their shocks way out of wack having to many adjustments anyways.

the podium rears are pieces of junk compared to the others. I hate elka but would recommend their rears over a podium

Colby@C&DRacing
03-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Most adjustors works in the same way. Low speed is a tapered needle valve and the high speed is a spring load plate

BlaineKaiser450
03-24-2008, 10:35 AM
AXIS

DEVINF450R
03-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Actually Fox redesigned the rear when the went to DSC (Dual Speed Compression) because the the problems they had with the ssc. A suspension tech that I have talked to says the new Foxes are practically a PEP, same design and concept. plus the winningest team in atv mx runs them... but the Axis with PRS is B/A too

Ex_Rider43
03-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Out of the 3 brands you want , Id get a Fox rear .. I never tried Axis shocks but i wish i could get a set in the future to see how they compare to the rest.

Elka cant even compare to fox or any other brand of shocks IMO.

mx1791
03-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
Axis makes a nice shock but for less money you could buy a Stadium rear shock with high/low speed comp. Stadium makes some of the best shocks available.
how much is a stadium?

WORCSYFZ199
04-05-2008, 11:26 PM
I Love my Elka on my YFZ you just have to get it set-up correctly like for your weight the adjustments actually work, Fox shocks are terrible it doesn't feel like the adjusters do anything it's hard to tell any difference in between like 2 and 10 clicks and yeah the Fox rear shocks are terrible. Ive never used Axis but they seem awesome.

racernorris
04-06-2008, 07:34 AM
did u contact fox about the rear shock you had problems with? i am interested in knowing about this problem, so far fox has warranted problems that were not there fault for every one of my customers (like hose clamps breaking and the rezzie destroyed), so i am very interested if they did not help you.

norris
quinn motorsports

for any fox shock problems contact Lars 800-fox-shox

NJ450rider
04-06-2008, 08:32 AM
I want to get a rear LT shock soon for my 450r. I was gonna get a fox podium to go along with my fox float x evol shocks but now im not to sure. At this current time my fox float x evols are on there way back to be fixed under warranty. My evol chambers are loosing air at a rapid rate and it sucks. I didnt even know that it wasnt normal to pump em up before every ride. And im talking back up 70 to 100 psi. Plus they didnt even send me the right ones the first time. I orderd the DSC versions and got LSC instead. Its all being done for free though and there shipping them back 3 day select for free also. If they suck when i get em back im done with fox. Ill get a refund and go get some motowoz or axis LT shocks.

As of right now im pretty dissapointed....

WORCSYFZ199
04-07-2008, 09:30 PM
yes i've dealt with fox and i have to agree that they do try hard to make things work, but the shocks just dont work well for me ive sent them in for re-valves and re-springing and they try but their shocks just dont perform well enough for me