PDA

View Full Version : Diesel truck owners, prices!!!

Giz400ex
03-22-2008, 06:25 AM
I just wanted to start off that I feel really bad for ppl that have to buy diesel everyday from a fill-up to there pick-up to there farm tractor to the 18 wheeler. I have no clue on how everybody is doing it. I understand the 18 wheeler and farming part of it (just pass it on to the consumer) but a driver for personal use is absolutly crazy. Here in NY, last time I seen it, it was $4.25 a gal. Then I look in the classifieds and looking for deals on trucks and I saw a Dodge Ram (brand new) w/Cummins with a 34 gal tank in it. I was like, Holy! It would cost almost $150.00 to fill it up. WTF! Most people have to fill up once a week to go to work and stuff and for some ppl, they would have to work a whole day just to fill up there tank. If diesel keeps on rising, we the citizens of the U.S. will be in trouble, not like were not already but it will get worse. For anything that includes or needs delivery, expect to pay more. Our economy, we haven't seen nothing yet:( It doesn't matter if were not in a recession now, we will be soon! Getting back to diesel fuel, there's gotta be SOMETHING we can do:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

300EXrider356
03-22-2008, 08:35 AM
There really isn't anything you can do, the only option that might work is to stop buying it, but seriously is that ever going to happen? Somethings going to be have to be done, people ***** about the high price of milk, and bread and stuff, and complain to the farmers, then the farmers are like WTF its not our fault it's thse damn oil companies. lol Look at it this way, everything that you buy was A. brought by a Semi B. brought by a train or C. brought by a container ship What do all of those run off of Diesel! With diesel prices getting higher, products are going to continue rising in price so get used to it. Hopefully prices will go down in the summer like normal. O and it cost me 95 clams to fill up the stroker the other day:mad: :mad: :ermm:

ZeroLogic
03-22-2008, 09:53 AM
The oil companies are pretty much running this country.:ermm: The goverment needs to step in.

Giz400ex
03-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
The oil companies are pretty much running this country.:ermm: The goverment needs to step in. Its gotten ridiculous and something needs to be done. If I knew of somebody that WOULD like to make some noise and had the connections, I would. This rebate money that families are supposed to get after there taxes filed ect... They might as well mail them to oil companies ect... If they don't do that, then they can shove those checks up there ***** :grr:

400exrider707
03-22-2008, 10:20 AM
I bit the bullet at $4.00 a gallon. I'm currently starting up my bio-diesel project for my 06 F-250. After the initial $1000 to get the filtration setup for my garage, it will cost rougly $1.07 a gallon for bio in the winter and roughly $0.68 a gallon in the summer. Should be able to fill my 29 gallon tank for about $21. After my warranty runs out I will switch strictly to veggie oil and buy the system for my truck in which case fuel will then cost nothing.

infantry317
03-22-2008, 12:11 PM
What kind of mileage on that Bio-D?

Giz400ex
03-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I bit the bullet at $4.00 a gallon. I'm currently starting up my bio-diesel project for my 06 F-250. After the initial $1000 to get the filtration setup for my garage, it will cost rougly $1.07 a gallon for bio in the winter and roughly $0.68 a gallon in the summer. Should be able to fill my 29 gallon tank for about $21. After my warranty runs out I will switch strictly to veggie oil and buy the system for my truck in which case fuel will then cost nothing. How much work is it to get involved in bio-diesel? and whats involved after your started?

Moto49X
03-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Cost $150 to fill up my cummins. LOVE the truck though.

Rumors over the CB are that truckers are going on strike for 48hours on April 15th, lets hope its true.

quads14589
03-22-2008, 05:20 PM
how do you get this system for the bio-deisel?

Giz400ex
03-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Moto49X
Cost $150 to fill up my cummins. LOVE the truck though.

Rumors over the CB are that truckers are going on strike for 48hours on April 15th, lets hope its true. I hope it happens too:cool:

rider250ex
03-23-2008, 09:26 AM
I just bought my cummins last week. Im never going back to gas thats for sure. The way i look at it is i am paying $4.10 a galon right now, but i am getting about 19-24mpg daily driving (2wd 6 speed) compared to the horrible gas mileage i would be getting in a full size v8.

400exrider707
03-23-2008, 09:40 AM
There are plans all over the net to build a bio system. I'm still not entirely sure I'm going to do bio, as there are very harsh and dangerous chemicals involved in the process. The one good thing about bio is you dont have to change anything on your truck (provided its a newer truck) Older trucks will have problems with it eating the fuel lines. I'm still considering the WVO (waste vegetable oil) approach, in which case you do need a kit for your truck. The www.vegistroke.com kit is the hands down best for the powerstrokes. Here's some helpful info on bio...

http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/

Giz400ex
03-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
There are plans all over the net to build a bio system. I'm still not entirely sure I'm going to do bio, as there are very harsh and dangerous chemicals involved in the process. The one good thing about bio is you dont have to change anything on your truck (provided its a newer truck) Older trucks will have problems with it eating the fuel lines. I'm still considering the WVO (waste vegetable oil) approach, in which case you do need a kit for your truck. The www.vegistroke.com kit is the hands down best for the powerstrokes. Here's some helpful info on bio...

http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/ Here's another option and is becoming popular www.americanaltfuel.com

400exrider707
03-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
Here's another option and is becoming popular www.americanaltfuel.com

This only works in conjunction with diesel, it's not a whole separate fuel system. Propane on a diesel is and can be a power adder as well as an economy option. Not worth it in my opinion unless I'm looking for some more power, but I'd run nitrous first. Plus propane isn't exactly cheap.

thrasher_ex
03-26-2008, 03:52 PM
These are the pages Im using for my r&d. We use tons of diesel on our farm and in our trucks and hopefully i can replace some of it. Right now im looking for used cooking oil before i invest the $ though. This is a very good alternative to petrodiesel and depending on your consumption, could save you a boat load. Oh and the chemicals arent THAT bad....Methanol (race gas), and potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide. You can read about making biodiesel for weeks and still not know the half of it :eek2:
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/mainpage/ http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/index.php
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/groupee