PDA

View Full Version : Wiring for MX (Problems)

itsallgood
03-22-2008, 12:08 AM
I've searched for quite some time tonight on this issue.

I've recently been working on a project 440ex for a friend of mine.
The headlights, and tail lights along with the headlight switch assy has been removed.
Someone done a little wiring to it that didn't really have a clue what they were doing. So I'm trying to fix this issue. I have the schematic out of the clymer manual, and I've followed it as much as I can.

I have replaced the headlight switch with a push type dirtbike engine stop button, the key is still working, and the neutral light is working.

The quad ran fine before but the battery was junk so it had to be either jumped or push/pull started.
Now after the wiring it will start, kind of, and run like crap. It sounds to me like the timing is way off. The key works, the neutral light works, the start button works, but it runs like crap. It won't hardly idle, and likes to backfire a lot. What would cause this after the wiring changes? Anything? It ran fine before other than the starting issue.

I may have something messed up with the key switch, push button wiring but I figured that was right b/c it started/stopped correctly.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2muchquad
03-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Make sure the wiring to the voltage regulator is correct.If something is out of whack it will pop backfire like the cdi isnt getting the proper voltage to operate.Theres nothing more frustrating than going behind a wiring hackjob trying to fix somebody elses f*** up:(

itsallgood
03-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Okay, I've went back through and here is where I'm at.

I have everything hooked up correctly for sure, except the starter button, and the on/off key switch.

Can anyone tell me exactly where these need to be hooked into?

The plugs have been cut off of the key switch so there are just wires. There aren't any plugs at all so I'm hardwiring it all.

The starter button it just a two wire switch basically (just like a dirt bike kill button).

2muchquad
03-24-2008, 09:53 AM
The starter button just energizes the solenoid with 12v when the button is pressed.It then connects the switch(contacts) then giving the starter motor 12v,the starter is grounded by the shell and the motor cases itself,hence only 1 wire to connect it.If all else fails,a wire harness off ebay can be had pretty cheap;)

itsallgood
03-25-2008, 06:35 AM
I seen they are cheap on ebay, but that doesn't help much because there are no plugs. They have 'all' been cut off (CDI, Regulator, Stator, Key Switch, etc.)

What wires are the key switch hooked into?

itsallgood
03-25-2008, 06:38 PM
This is exactly how it's hooked up right now.
Does anyone see any problems with it, compare to the normal wiring?
Keep in mind the neutral switch is gone, the neutral light, clutch switches, etc. It's just the start button, key switch, alt, starter, and starter relay that's there.

Not shown is the wire that connects to the frame from the (-) of the battery but it is connected.
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb98/itsallgood_24/WiringSchematic.jpg