PDA

View Full Version : Pics of slammed 450r's

Joehlms
03-21-2008, 09:03 PM
I have an '08 450r and am thinking about lowering it. Would like to see some that have been lowered/

RideRaceLive93
03-22-2008, 11:44 AM
do you do any flat track racing?? if you dont have a reason to lower it DONT!!!!!

honda4life72
03-22-2008, 01:31 PM
are u going to lower it through the shocks or by a lowering kit?

Flyin-Low
03-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Joehlms
I have an '08 450r and am thinking about lowering it. Would like to see some that have been lowered/

Then slap some 22's on there and it'll be ballin' :chinese:

bloodmoney23
03-23-2008, 05:28 PM
i think the drag bike on here are the closest to being lowered. Dont see it too much and im sure it will drop the comfort level on bike from a 7 to about a 1. Not only that unless you are Flat tracking it then I wouldnt even do it. Unless you are gonna put a pump on it with like 10 switches or something.

quadgod440ex
03-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Man this is gonna turn out to be a waste of a thread ...

dirtmerchant42
03-24-2008, 10:41 PM
not mine but my friends 07 at breezewood proving grounds

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l95/chillinsk8err/Picture332.jpg

Joehlms
03-27-2008, 07:36 PM
I was gonna lower it using a kit. I do some flat track racing and some trail riding as well. Saw a guy with one that was lowered and thought it looked pretty cool.

Joehlms
03-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks 4 the pic dirtmerchant42. How does your friend like it?

Vade
03-27-2008, 09:36 PM
i wouldn't mind seeing some myself!

shipwash
03-28-2008, 04:47 PM
mine has been lowered about 2inches in the front (notice the widening kit and angle of front shocks)

Vade
03-28-2008, 05:52 PM
I LOVE YOUR QUAD!!!! :cool:

250xridamatt
03-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by shipwash
mine has been lowered about 2inches in the front (notice the widening kit and angle of front shocks)

I don't think there is any way I could be confident hitting a big double with that quad.

shipwash
03-29-2008, 07:07 PM
because the shocks got kicked out at an angle the suspension is now stiffer. im very confident in my machine and the work i do to it, i have to think about my wife and baby girl now so i do my flat tracking and trail riding, not to much fliing for me anymore.

shipwash
03-29-2008, 07:33 PM
another angle

shipwash
03-29-2008, 07:50 PM
and another

250xridamatt
03-30-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm not doubting any of your work. I'm just questioning the strength of those brackets. Have you had any problems with them at all?

Joehlms
03-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Nice bike Shipwash. Did you lower it any in the rear? And what kind of kit did you use?

shipwash
03-30-2008, 10:52 AM
the brackets are quarter inch thick and the way they bolt up i dont see anyway they could break, the weak point i hate to say is most likely the a arms

shipwash
03-30-2008, 10:55 AM
the rear has not been lowered. i was told by a friend that you need a slight rake to the front so i havent messed with the back any. the front kit is from diamond j customs.

yamaha91
03-31-2008, 10:14 AM
its stupid to get one of those kits, its just the cheap way out and your gunna end up paying for it in the long run...

Benjithx
03-31-2008, 11:52 AM

Wow, I have never seen that before? Why did you go that route instead of Stock travel A-Arms. (price?)

400exrider707
03-31-2008, 01:26 PM
:ermm:

There is a sticky at the top of the page in suspension and handling about those kits... please read.

I will say the weak point of that kit is those steel brackets. Hit a tree with your tire and its like one giant lever being applied to those brackets. Total waste of money. Lowering a quad is great for handling, however it should be done correctly, and yes you can go too low. I would never run a lowering "kit", a widening "kit" or wheelspacers, and and all combinations are a big NO NO. I'm just goint to bite my tongue and sit back on this one. Read the thread if you get a chance, might open some eyes up.

400exrider707
03-31-2008, 01:27 PM
the rear has not been lowered. i was told by a friend that you need a slight rake to the front so i havent messed with the back any. the front kit is from diamond j customs.

What type of riding.... only one you would need a slight rake for MAYBE is drag racing, otherwise front a tad higher is ideal.

patrickj75
03-31-2008, 08:33 PM
here's a pic of how most would lower a quad....

shipwash
04-01-2008, 11:03 AM
i just want to say until youve rode my bike you really are shooting in tne dark with these comments. and to 400exrider707 the front end has been bashed off a tree i actually almost gone thrown off the front end because nothing give, nothing broke ro bent even the brackets. i went the cheap way out because i dont ride enough to go out and drop mad amounts of cash on something that im not going to make any money off of i dont race for a living i weld, so i would say i have a pretty good idea about metal strength.

300ex mxracer
04-01-2008, 12:39 PM
I ran one of those kits on my 300 and ended up with a bent frame, broken plastics, broken collarbone, bent a-arms. this was not caused by a crash. I landed a triple slightly nose down. I would like to see someone with one of those kits clip a tree and not break something.

400exrider707
04-01-2008, 08:22 PM
i just want to say until youve rode my bike you really are shooting in tne dark with these comments. and to 400exrider707 the front end has been bashed off a tree i actually almost gone thrown off the front end because nothing give, nothing broke ro bent even the brackets. i went the cheap way out because i dont ride enough to go out and drop mad amounts of cash on something that im not going to make any money off of i dont race for a living i weld, so i would say i have a pretty good idea about metal strength.

I'm not shooting in the dark... suspension is my hobby and my focus of study. I'm a mechanical engineer by degree, and I'm NOT questioning your ability or knowledge on metals... but facts are facts... your a-arms are a lever on those brackets, and those kits make your quad handle like JUNK. If you want an explanation as to why... read the thread in the suspension forum.

I hate seeing fellow quad enthusiasts ripped off on sub-par products, so if you think I come off like an A-hole, I really don't care, as long as you learn something out of it to better your situation.

Scro
04-01-2008, 09:18 PM
The phrase, "The best you've known is the best you've riden" comes to mind when I read this thread. With that said, that quad will handle, ride, and look better without that kit.

EDIT: ^^^I knew I had saw that quote somewhere on here...lol

shipwash
04-01-2008, 10:54 PM
this is my final thought on the situation. i bought the kit i have had no problems with it. i dont want to come off like an a** but opinions are like buttholes everyone has one, its my quad and it was my decision, people can bash on what ive done but it doesnt phase me either way i understand that the kit is not made for mx, but its like i said earlier i dont ride mx i flat track and ride trails. and on occasion i get a wild hair and do some drifting down the road. im not going to argue my point anymore, just for the fact that i really dont care what anybody else has to say.

400exrider707
04-02-2008, 09:14 AM
this is my final thought on the situation. i bought the kit i have had no problems with it. i dont want to come off like an a** but opinions are like buttholes everyone has one, its my quad and it was my decision, people can bash on what ive done but it doesnt phase me either way i understand that the kit is not made for mx, but its like i said earlier i dont ride mx i flat track and ride trails. and on occasion i get a wild hair and do some drifting down the road. im not going to argue my point anymore, just for the fact that i really dont care what anybody else has to say.

Here is my final say. It's not my opinion or anyone elses opinion... that kit for a fact will make your quad handle worse. Looks are another thing, that is preference. Saftey and handling are both compromised with this kit. No one is trying to knock you down here or your quad for that matter, I at least want to just make the point that the kit is not safe, and decreases handling substantially due to a massive increase in bumpsteer, whether you choose to listen or not is up to you. Ultimately it is your decision because it's your money, and your quad. All I'm trying to do is make you aware. I really dislike companies that take advantage of people and take their money with false hopes and promises. I ESPECIALLY dont like companies that do all of that, and on top of it, create safety issues for their customers. That is not a good business practice IMO. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or comments. I want to try and keep this clean and educational.

Thanks, 400exrider707

660r2a400ex
04-02-2008, 12:33 PM
lowering kits are for tt bikes, slammed(strutted) are for drag, if you dont do either, do lower it at all

honda4life72
04-02-2008, 02:25 PM
well i have seen a guy race a fully built tt bike with elkas and such. then his back up bike had one of these kits on it with elkas. he said it id handle well but not near as great.the problem with this kit also is it has zero weight transfer for tt racing. so u cant mx race,tt race,or xc race witht he kit, why have it? yea yard riding , maybe but no where else does it work for anything.plus it looks retarded