PDA

View Full Version : Look at this DS owners!!!

ds450maniac
03-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Just wondering are or have any of you guys that own the DS have any problems with anything yet? Cause I haven't heard of any yet and I'm sure people that want or are getting a DS would like to know this to. I plan on getting a 08 DS around september or so when then 09's come out and see how the 09's are and maybe get an 09 or get a left over 08 which would save me alot of money that I can put towards aftermarket parts:D.

jaredw
03-22-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm having a slight issue with clutch noise under initial take off. I have heard of others with this noise but I suspect probably will have some sort of recall. Thats all for now.

ds450maniac
03-22-2008, 10:48 AM
First off nice DSX, I heard that alot of people are having this problem and the people that know the rotax engines are saying that all of the rotax motors make some type of noise. Again thats just what I'm hearing. Anything else going on guys?

MET
03-22-2008, 02:19 PM
The factory teams ARE breaking the frames and transmissions, wait for the 09!!

jaredw
03-22-2008, 03:16 PM
did you hear this from a cousins friends girlfriends brother or did you read it somewhere where we can research it.?

ds450maniac, as a second time rotax owner, this isnt the typical rotax engine noise. This is a clutch plate squeeling. Dry clutch is the first thing i said along with my dealer. They said they won't know for sure until they are able to contact BRP after the holidays and see if there are any recorded issues on this.

OutlawBill
03-23-2008, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by MET
The factory teams ARE breaking the frames and transmissions, wait for the 09!! where is you proof

african rider
03-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by jaredw
I'm having a slight issue with clutch noise under initial take off. I have heard of others with this noise but I suspect probably will have some sort of recall. Thats all for now.

i have the same noise from the clutch plate, but after one or two minutes when the engine hot, no noise at all and the clutch works perfect.

great bike!

jaredw
03-23-2008, 03:02 PM
After a full day of riding, i started it up this morning to move it around and it hardly did it at all. Another minor issue which im sure everyone has had, my stickers are falling off!

choadium
03-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Mine also had the clutch chatter but it seemed to clear up the more I rode it. My chain was also really loose from the dealer. It smacked on the plastic swing arm skid.

ds450maniac
03-23-2008, 08:14 PM
its good to hear that the DS's are holding up and are only haveing minor issues. I can't wait to get mine:D

ThePhantomRider
03-24-2008, 11:26 AM
I'm getting so tired of people making claims that they are breaking frames, yet no one has seen one and even better, I have looked at Greg Gee's, Jeremy Lawsons and Sage Bakers race bikes and there are no frame issues.

The only thing that has been said is that there can be a bit of flex in the upper a-arm mounts under race conditions when taking repeated big hits and landings. That is easily cured with a bolt on brace. Other than that, these frames require less work to prep for racing than all the other frames that require weld in gusset kits.

To me the frame is a home run. The engineering is awesome and best part is that if there is an issue with a particular area, it is more easily fixed in production than having to re-tool the production line for a welded frame.

I couldn't tell you for sure, but you may even see a form of bracing seen in the after market added to the stock frames in the future.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Can-Am has placed a lot of time and resources into this product and intend to not only have the best 450 available but make sure to stay at the top of the pack.

TPR

MET
03-27-2008, 05:59 PM
I guess you have not been talking to the right people, I work in the industry and know a few factory riders! I am not bashing the machine by any means, every brand has there faults,especially in the first year. I have worked on all types of BRP products at the dealer level, lets just say I would not buy a thing from them, though you will always be busy if you work at a BRP dealership! LOL!

ds450maniac
03-27-2008, 06:01 PM
thanx for that info MET

MET
03-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Keep in mind,this info is related to a ATV that is being punished hard by the best racers in the business, they see failures everyday with every brand!!

jaredw
03-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by MET
I guess you have not been talking to the right people, I work in the industry and know a few factory riders! I am not bashing the machine by any means, every brand has there faults,especially in the first year. I have worked on all types of BRP products at the dealer level, lets just say I would not buy a thing from them, though you will always be busy if you work at a BRP dealership! LOL!

any reason why... or did you just want to say that.

MET
03-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by jaredw
any reason why... or did you just want to say that.

I was replying to a previous reply from someone else.

bwamos
03-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Seems odd that we'd have such different experiences.

I am not a dealership service technician, but I have never seen much of any problems out of the ordinary with the Renegade or Outlander. They've, from my experience, always been very well built and reliable ATV's. Nothing like the mid to late 90's Polaris' as an example. They are still trying to recover from that stigma.

Time and torture will tell.

Ex_Rider43
03-28-2008, 09:07 PM
TPR , sure if you look at Lawsons or gees bike under the tent , the frame will be mint , fenders will shine and every bolt looks new , ITS A FACTORY TEAM ! They get a new after a couple of hours only. But if you listen to Jeremy in his interview nothing breaks and he's still on the same bike since i dont know when .. its a factory game.. they are now paid to ride which is our dream so its normal i think ...

the frame breaks, period. Like any other BTW.

dirtycarl
04-06-2008, 02:51 PM
the only noise i am hearing when i ride is a light rattle. i am pretty sure it is the chain. it is a little loose. is that normal. how loose is the chain supposed to be. on my yfz and banshee it is much tighter.

jaredw
04-06-2008, 03:41 PM
there is a sticker that you had to of seen while looking at the chain. plus the owners manual explains this.

ThePhantomRider
04-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Ex_Rider43
TPR , sure if you look at Lawsons or gees bike under the tent , the frame will be mint , fenders will shine and every bolt looks new , ITS A FACTORY TEAM ! They get a new after a couple of hours only. But if you listen to Jeremy in his interview nothing breaks and he's still on the same bike since i dont know when .. its a factory game.. they are now paid to ride which is our dream so its normal i think ...

the frame breaks, period. Like any other BTW.

Yes, frames can break, bend, tweak, for sure, no one said these things are indestructible.

That said, they do not replace the frames unless it is needed. I have seen a practice frame used for over a month with no problems, used several hours nearly daily.

Now if there is a crash or damage, then sure they will replace it, but they are not in the business to replace a frame just to replace it.

TPR

Flynbryan19
04-07-2008, 11:08 AM
I saw in person a Can-am 450 come by me at the Steel Creek GNCC smoking terrible and smelling of Coolant. I wanna say it was #10 Greg Trew. Also saw Chris Bethell's quad quit right in front of us at a hill climb smoking like crazy and smelling of motor oil. It was coming from the exhaust.

Its was a bummer as I really like the looks of the Can-am, but I would still be hesitant to buy one at this time. Just like any quad I think they'll need a year or two to work all bugs out.

atvlover
04-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Hey guys,
Johnny with Motoworks. I thought I would comment on the issues mentioned above. We are the factory team on the West Coast racing the WORCS Series and the ITP Quadcross. We have not broken any frames to date. In fact the frames have worked perfectly. The bike handles better than anything on the market. We have let several riders ride our bikes and they can't stop talking about the handling. Other than the problems induced by our race team, we have not had any problems with the engines. The entire bike is solid!

MET
04-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by atvlover
Hey guys,
Johnny with Motoworks. I thought I would comment on the issues mentioned above. We are the factory team on the West Coast racing the WORCS Series and the ITP Quadcross. We have not broken any frames to date. In fact the frames have worked perfectly. The bike handles better than anything on the market. We have let several riders ride our bikes and they can't stop talking about the handling. Other than the problems induced by our race team, we have not had any problems with the engines. The entire bike is solid!

Are you speaking on behalf of Epic and Wernert Racing the 2 factory MX teams??

ThePhantomRider
04-09-2008, 03:38 PM
No, I think Warnert is using HMF???

Epic is using the FMF 4.1 with the Megabomb.

They all should work real well, given the longer headpipe, tuning is much better on the DS.

TPR

jaredw
04-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
No, I think Warnert is using HMF???

Epic is using the FMF 4.1 with the Megabomb.

They all should work real well, given the longer headpipe, tuning is much better on the DS.

TPR

I agree

My question is, does the fmf, motoworks, or hmf need the fuel tuner? Or do these work with the wire cut.

ThePhantomRider
04-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Yeah there is still some confusion as to if the FMI controller is needed when you go with a full exhaust, or does the pink wire only apply to a filter change/airbox lid removal and pulling the core out of the exhaust.

From what I understand, if you snip the wire and go full exhaust it works very good, but if you add the controller, it brings out all the power and lets you tune better for altitude and atmospheric conditions.

Johnny, some clarification for these guys would be handy, we know you sell the FMI, but I think the big concern is if they run the cut wire without the controller, will they cause damage to the motor.

TPR

wzito001
04-11-2008, 07:09 AM
That would be good info to know! I have a motoworks and I have only cut the wire, no FMI. The bike seems to run fine to me and there is no discoloration in the pipe to indicate too rich or too lean. I plan to get a FMI eventually but if it is not neccessary I would like to put that money towards something else.

BZ

zach102
04-16-2008, 11:31 PM
At the last gncc race Duane Johnsons frame broke thats why he only got 2 laps in.

Dale512
04-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Do you know where/how Duane's frame broke?

bradley300
04-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
I'm getting so tired of people making claims that they are breaking frames, yet no one has seen one and even better, I have looked at Greg Gee's, Jeremy Lawsons and Sage Bakers race bikes and there are no frame issues.

these rumors have been out since before the quad was released to the public, and with any rumor, there is usually a sliver of truth. borich was also supposed to ride a can am and switched to suzuki shortly after the rumors first popped up. take it for what you want.

also, it will do you no good to look ata pro's frame,do you really think can-am would put a quad out for everyone to see if it has frame damage? the dont jerry rig gussets to fix frames on factory racers, they get new frames so looking at a pro's frame is pointless.

not to mention hearing from you now that the upper a-arm mounts flex, thats not good being as aluminum is pretty rigind, and that really helps validate (to me atleast) that maybe these frames arent up to snuff

Pappy
04-24-2008, 02:55 PM
I believe 3 frames were broken at the last gncc, all on the main frame at the subframe. It will be a difficult repair, but what has me confused is why the gncc riders and not the mx? Im figuring differing forces from the terrain versus landing a jump etc.

Ive had one here for a few weeks and been looking it over. The upper arm mounts and support scare me, but I guess the supports will give before the frame. The arms look weak..real weak especially if you roll it or tag a tree.

Dont take this as a negative opinion, im paid to tell people what I think of them no matter what the brand or the issue. I like the quad, just not sure about how durable it is going to be. And I support can am as they heavily support this sport and hope that every issue they can hear of or find gets them working towards solutions and fixes.

Ben Bettis
04-27-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm reading all about the frames breaking and everyone "thinking" the quad looks weak. Well, I have heard of a few stress cracks in certain location, I have not seen it on any of our quads. And there isn't a racer out there that lands harder than we do. Every single sport quad that is out there that the Factories are racing has frames crack. Everyone. So if you say you won't buy a DS because the frames may crack, then don't buy any other sport quad, cuz they will crack too. I was in Montreal, Canada a couple weeks ago, doing a show and I over jumped the landing and went 90ft to flat on concrete!! Yes my axle bent, as it was stock, but don't think an aftermarket axle would have faired much better. We are still running stock suspension even. I bent the shaft on the rear shock, but the rest of the quad is perfectly fine. I dropped out of a 3 story building to flat ground and the quad just had a minor setback. We put our lives on the DS, pretty sure it would be fine for everyone else.

Ben Bettis - Akraix Freestyle

http://a404.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/31/l_f5d53e5a1e0791b54ba0c042af5b24ab.jpg

Dale512
04-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Pappy, one the GNCC quads is the "hips" cracking through or are the sub-frame mount breaking?

The WORCS guys seem to be having pretty good luck with there Can-Ams and the MX guys are starting to get them dailed in, but the poor GNCC guys can't seem to catch a break. I always kinda figured that the Can-Am wouldn't be that great for GNCC, but I hope they get them dailed in and prove me wrong.

Pappy
04-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Dale...I did not get to see them. I had to run from the podium and cover the UTV race and was informed by the team later that night. From what I gather it was at the sub frame mount on the main frame.

Ben, I think most have reservations with regards to cracking the DS frame due to the cost in replacing it over a conventional frame.

racerMX
04-28-2008, 08:01 AM
just my 2 cents,

I have been racing for 10 years and I have personaly never "broke a frame" stress cracks yes. If you are just riding / racing and you never case a big jump or wreck realy bad than I doubt the average rider could ever break a frame. The pro's put more abuse on they quads then most people ever dream off. When your at that level of racing you can't think you just go as fast as you can all the time. I have also raced every quad out there from the 250r, 400ex, walsh crf hybrid, LTR, TRX, YFZ and now on the DS450 and I think with a little help from the aftermarket and the race teams it will be the quad to have.

"but that's still is to be determined"

bwamos
04-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I believe 3 frames were broken at the last gncc, all on the main frame at the subframe. It will be a difficult repair, but what has me confused is why the gncc riders and not the mx? Im figuring differing

I'd wager the GNCC quads see a LOT more side to side forces that the rider puts on the subframe, slamming into ruts, bouncing off of rocks, fallen trees, etc. MX doesn't seem to take as much abuse in that area as they are usually taking mostly parallel forces, and some side to side hitting berms, but most riders are usually up on the tank and over the side, where as the GNCC rider slamming into ruts are often riding higher.

That would be my inital thought. Could be way off, but seems semi logical to me.

Pappy
04-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Could be bwamos. I watched the can am's intensley this past weekend, looks to me like in the MX world they have what it takes to run strong.

spincr4hire
05-01-2008, 10:23 AM
GNCC has some of the most punishing terrain so if there is a structural issue its surely to surface there, which sounds like to me is what is happening.

atvlover
05-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Hello all. Johnny with Motoworks. Just giving a late reply. We have been busy racing. The bikes run without an FMI. If you put a full system exhaust on the bike and cut the pink wire the bike will run. However, you still run the risk of leaning the bike out in certain conditions. This problem is escalated when the airbox lid is removed. The FMI is really the only way to ensure that the bike runs perfect under any condition. if you do not use one, be very careful to monitor the mixture.

Quad18star
05-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Seems odd that we'd have such different experiences.

I am not a dealership service technician, but I have never seen much of any problems out of the ordinary with the Renegade or Outlander. They've, from my experience, always been very well built and reliable ATV's. Nothing like the mid to late 90's Polaris' as an example. They are still trying to recover from that stigma.

Time and torture will tell.

I work at a Can-Am Dealership and get cost plus 5% on brand new models ....... I'll stick with Yamaha.

Once you spend a couple weeks in a dealership and see the amount of problems with the Can-Am's ( no experience with the DS 450 yet) , you'll stay away from them. The Outlanders and Renegades have MANY issues .... it's actually quite scary. Electrical issues , fuel delivery issues , weak components .... a lot of things that are quite expensive to fix when things go wrong.

I'd own one up until the warranty is finished , then I'd sell it.

atvlover
05-02-2008, 01:34 PM
We are the Motoworks Can Am team. We are racing the WORCS series. You can run the bike without an FMI. In some conditions it will lean out.