PDA

View Full Version : if i were bogged

jeremy_283
03-21-2008, 08:47 PM
if i were like cutting out from runnin rich at full throttle on my 05 400ex would changing from a 170 to a 160 sound reasonable?

bluetrx
03-21-2008, 11:05 PM
your question is a little to vague, the easy answer is yes. if your bogg is caused by a rich condition at wide open throttle then a smaller main jet will fix the problem. i wouldnt skip more than one jet size though, skip the 168 and try a 165. there should be a cause to re-jet like if youre riding at a higher elevation, if you removed an aftermarket exhaust and installed a stock one, if you went from an open element air filter to an airbox, or if this is a new carb for you these downgrades reduce the ammount of air flowing through your motor so you have to reduce the fuel. if youve done some upgrade it is possible that youre lean on top and your rich bog is actually a lean cutout. if your bike was dialed in and it just started running like this without making any changes jetting is not your problem, check your air filter (a very dirty air filter will make you run rich) if the filter is good then it would most likely be an ignition problem probably cdi. if in doubt go with a bigger main first and make sure the problem gets worse before going smaller. sorry for the long explaination i just dont want to be the guy who tells you yeah jet it down, then have you go burn up your motor.

wilkin250r
03-22-2008, 02:06 AM
Are you just shooting in the dark, or did you actually check the plug at WOT?