PDA

View Full Version : 400ex bearing ?

Yeller EX
03-21-2008, 02:04 AM
Would a decent car mechanic like myself have any problems changing the front and rear wheel bearings and seals, steering stem bearing and seals, and the axle carrier bearings and seals on a 2002 400ex?

When choosing bearings and seals for these items would it be ok to buy the ones off ebay?

dustin_j
03-21-2008, 07:42 AM
Yeah, changing bearings isn't hard. It helps to have a press, but you can use a vice and a mallet.

I buy my bearings off ebay from racergirlsrock. Their bearings are cheaper than dealers and catalogs and should last just as long. Just make sure when isntalling to only put force on the outer race of the bearing. Good luck!

Yeller EX
03-21-2008, 11:54 PM
what all needs to be taken apart to install rear wheel bearings and carrier bearings?

If the axle barely moves in the carrier assembly would that mean my wheel bearings are bad or my carrier bearings are bad cause I have never tore apart the carrier assembly? I would appreciate if someone would give me a idea of how to tell the difference between bad wheel bearings and bad carrier bearings.

what does a stock 400ex come with twin row carrier or single row carrier?

dustin_j
03-24-2008, 11:18 AM
There are no rear wheel bearings, only the carrier bearings. If your axle moves side to side in your carrier, then you need new bearings. Stock carriers use single row. I bought an aftermarket dual row (just wider bearings), and I have a set of new stock carrier bearings I could sell you.

my88r
03-24-2008, 08:49 PM
if your a car mechanic it will be easy for you

pick one of these up it will be your best friend:)

hondaking52
03-27-2008, 06:40 PM
if you think ur rear bearings are gone, check the axle tightner,it could be loose and allows for a bit of play, for the steering colum,the steering colum has to come out,take the seal out and remove the snap ring and press the bearing up, any more Q's just ask

Yeller EX
03-28-2008, 12:12 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. As far as the bearings go I dont need a steering stem bearing cause it has no play in it. The front wheel bearings seem ok. And last but not least the rear doesnt have play side to side but just barely a little from top to bottom so would that be bad?

Hey something that seems crazy is they sell rear wheel bearings on ebay and you dont have them now thats messed up!:confused:

hondaking52
03-28-2008, 09:18 AM
i would just try to snug up the axle tightner a bit, it happend to me a few times were it just backs off a bit, and there left hand threads, and ya thts a little crazy tht they sell rear wheel bearings.....trust me there isnt,

Yeller EX
03-31-2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks hondaking I will try that axle tightener and see what that will do.