View Full Version : Quick Dead Starts

mod440ex
03-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Anyone one who has raced races and had to use dead starts how did you get your quad to fire up the quickest? My buddy has a yfz and his fires right up, but i have to crank on mine twice has long. this isnt a big deal normally but i am planning on doing some xc racing in june and july.

QUADROOKIE
03-20-2008, 06:55 PM
First, some of the early models had an issue with the TP sensor. I had mine adjusted and it started much faster ever since. Also, When I pull up to the line I leave it in gear, hold the bakes and let out the clutch and kill it. For some reason this makes it start just a revolution or two faster. Also, with the Fuel Injection you cannot touch the throttle until the engine fires or it has a shutoff switxh that wont let it start. I had my kfx for a couple weeks and only had about 2 hours of seat time on it before my first race and I took the holeshot over many YFZ's and Hondas with another KFX right behind me in the stock class so with some practice you should be just as fast off the line as anyone if not faster.

450raider
03-20-2008, 08:12 PM
tp sensor? could that effect trail riders? how would i know if i got an early model with that problem, (i got it about 2 weeks after the dealer did)

QUADROOKIE
03-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by 450raider
tp sensor? could that effect trail riders? how would i know if i got an early model with that problem, (i got it about 2 weeks after the dealer did) When mine was acting up, sometimes it would just crank and crank and not want to fire at all. Then after awhile it would start like nothing was ever wrong. It is only a TSB, not a recall to my knowledge, but you would have to take it to a dealership and tell them whats up and they can tell if it needs the sensor reprogram/upgrade done. If I remember right they just change the voltage level that is fed to the sensor. Mine was under warranty so it was covered, and they extended the warranty to 12 months so I would call them and ask.