PDA

View Full Version : Pro ATV mechanic

blakefoote
03-20-2008, 11:45 AM
i am a senior in high school and race the ama nationals in production b class and have the same dream every other rider has of becoming a pro one day but always need a back up plan... well i would like to have a job where i could still enjoy my passion of atv mx and see all the races year around so i am considering being a pro mechanic... i know all the basics and don't want too far off and was wondering whats a good path to stay on?

03-20-2008, 11:56 AM
im doing the same thing. you just have to make the decision if you want to commit 110% to racing. or 110% to being a mechanic. i just free-ride with freinds and go to as many races as possible. just get a good name in with people. even with your own quad. make sure its dialed to the tee, to show that you know how to make a good bike

MX450
03-20-2008, 12:22 PM
off topic but i noticed you (i think) had a DNS in the secong moto at sequads b class, what happened?

wilkin250r
03-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by BoBoRacerX123
you just have to make the decision if you want to commit 110% to racing. or 110% to being a mechanic.

I don't know that you have to commit totally to one or the other. There are lots of engine builders that started out as racers. Ol' Mickey Dunlap used to race 3-wheelers back in the day.

With the technology today, it really helps to have a formal education if you plan to be a mechanic. Lots of people can use a torque wrench. It helps to know the specific factors that affect flame-front travel, the peculiarities of Fuel Injection mapping, and other high-tech details that your average tinkerer does not know.

03-20-2008, 02:14 PM
oh i know that. i was just saying that when it comes down to it, you cant be "half in it" when it comes to going pro. or half in anything else for that matter. not just for racing or being a mechanic. you need to figure out if you want to be "the body" (rider) or "the heart" (mechanic). alot of people that raced are now just part of the business and its worked out great for them. look at Farr being a huge part of KTM. Ellis being the Suzuki team manager. If you love the sport, you should be happy you get a chance to be around it. And yes being a mechanic is'nt a stupid job, they are veeery underestimated for what they do. and if you are a privateer you know how blessed you are to have one haha

PS: (not snapping at anyone, just my opinion)

spanky101
03-20-2008, 04:05 PM
if your lookin into being a pro mechanic id go to a mti i think it is, motorcycle technical institute or something like that. That would give you a great foundation and look extremely good on a resume. But to be honest another great way would be get into a engine shop, thats well known and work your way through te ranks

trick250r
03-20-2008, 04:21 PM
one of my friends (also my boss) used to be spader's mechanic before he went to factory yamaha. im just saying that the **** that is in this man's head... im not saying to not try, but have another backup plan. bill walks around the showroom floor and can spit out the specs on every single bike in there. ive seen him on the phone with a customer and without even looking at the bike... "well as soon as you take this bolt out there should be... ect" on more than one occasion. the crazy thing is is that he's not even the best out there and he can do all of this ****... its hard to explain but all you have to do is see someone like him or mark baldwin or dee manshack work in person and youre like WTF... how do they do it. moral of the story... go ahead and try, but you'd better be really smart and know your ****.

Sportrax10
03-20-2008, 04:38 PM
There are plenty of careers that can incorporate ATV racing, so consider other options in case your not sure about the small engine/ motorcycle tech.

For instance, I am in college to be a mechanical engineer. The degree will put me in a field that I enjoy, and ill be able to support myself while gaining experience. Down the road I would like to start a company that produces parts for ATV racing.

On a different note, I would have also loved to get into heavy equipment operating. (Actually, this was my backup plan) Great career that only requires a technical school to get into. Lots of work available for good pay. (Personally I think I would enjoy the work) It also could incorporate ATV racing. (Building/maintaining an MX track would be a fun, rewarding business)

Being a motorcycle/ATV mechanic would be great too. Only problem I see with that is lack of work. You might end up working on cars, which is fine too.. but maybe not what you had in mind.

my88r
03-20-2008, 05:03 PM
one thing to keep in mind. people will tell you theres no money or no work. trust me it scares me. but I'm opening atv/DIRT BIKE accessory shop along with service. it all comes down to your attitude and the way you work. if your slow have a piss poor attitude you wont last long. IMO

blakefoote
03-24-2008, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by MX450
off topic but i noticed you (i think) had a DNS in the secong moto at sequads b class, what happened?

i was only there for training purposes only...i ran both motos in the 16-24 and the bike was riding horible and i went out for the first B class and didn't place so well...so i decided to save it all for the all day practice on my race bike....