PDA

View Full Version : Quick valve clearance question

kawabunga
03-20-2008, 10:44 AM
So I've been wondering because I've been told both from different people.
If there is either NO clearance or negative, does that mean that the valve stays open all the time or does it mean that the valve is smacking the head harder than it's supposed to when it seats?
Just looking to clear this up.
Thanks!

blacknblue#2
03-21-2008, 07:11 AM
If there is Negative Clearance than that means its holding your valves open. If you have clearance that means the valve has nothing touching it to hold it open. For example when an intake valve has no clearance it is holding it open and the engine will be very hard to start but when it has clearance it is closed tightly to hold in what needs to be held in while the exhaust valves open to let out what needs to be out. Understand what im saying to did i make it too confusing?? i tend to do that haha.

kawabunga
03-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
If there is Negative Clearance than that means its holding your valves open. If you have clearance that means the valve has nothing touching it to hold it open. For example when an intake valve has no clearance it is holding it open and the engine will be very hard to start but when it has clearance it is closed tightly to hold in what needs to be held in while the exhaust valves open to let out what needs to be out. Understand what im saying to did i make it too confusing?? i tend to do that haha.

Haha, no way man. That's perfect. That's the way I thought it went, a friend of mine tried telling me otherwise and I got confused from him because what he was saying didn't make any sense. Thanks!
Got my valves shimmed and the beast runs again!
Now I just have to get it jetted correctly:scary: