PDA

View Full Version : wont start....

john.E.business
03-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Well i went to kick the ol girl up last night and she won't go i think i just have to change the plugs cause when i kick her it doesn't seem to be getting any spark just curious anything else i should look for?
plus i gotta be honest i left to cali and never had time to properly winterize the quad and its been sitting in the garage with old fuel in it so i don't know how much of an affect that will have any suggestions would be appreciated...

JRP
03-20-2008, 10:18 AM
if you have a teather, check that. that is my problem 90% of the time.

john.E.business
03-20-2008, 10:19 AM
nope no tether on my bike...

03-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Clean the carb. Make sure you take out the pilot jet and clean out all the small holes. Also remove the main jet and clean it. Make sure you open the top and remove the needle and clean it. Tghen drain the tank and anns fresh fuel. then you shold be good to go.
Since it's been sitting so long I would change the oil on both sides.

Scro
03-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by john.E.business
Well i went to kick the ol girl up last night and she won't go i think i just have to change the plugs cause when i kick her it doesn't seem to be getting any spark

Geez, I gotta get my head out of the gutter...
:p

Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
Clean the carb. Make sure you take out the pilot jet and clean out all the small holes. Also remove the main jet and clean it. Make sure you open the top and remove the needle and clean it. Tghen drain the tank and anns fresh fuel. then you shold be good to go.
Since it's been sitting so long I would change the oil on both sides.

I would try this first before I jumped into anything electrical.

john.E.business
04-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Well i got it started just took a few hundred kicks i figured she go when it warmed up abit more, didn't clean nothing up yet but was curious it will run strong for a couple minutes and then just backfire a few times and then shut off, does that have anything to do with old fuel? or could the timing in the valves be off?

klutch
04-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Well i got it started just took a few hundred kicks i figured she go when it warmed up abit more, didn't clean nothing up yet but was curious it will run strong for a couple minutes and then just backfire a few times and then shut off, does that have anything to do with old fuel? or could the timing in the valves be off?

Sounds like carb to me.

john.E.business
04-02-2008, 10:57 PM
so what do you figure the card needs to be cleaned out? i thought backfiring only happened when its running lean?

blasterfreak99
04-03-2008, 07:20 PM
so what do you figure the card needs to be cleaned out? i thought backfiring only happened when its running lean?

there could be dirt clogging the carb causing it be lean

lmao 90% of the time the tether is my problem too. ill try starting it for 5 minutes and then realize my tether is hooked on my riding pants lol

the Z Man
04-03-2008, 11:41 PM
I have noticed when I leave my 450r sitting for a long time I have to pump it about 10 times then kick it til it fires with the choke on, if it still don't start do it again, she will start...
Just ride it she will be fine.