PDA

View Full Version : new shee wont start

flint250trx
03-20-2008, 12:07 AM
well i picked up an 01 moded banshee today. traded my 250r for it and the thing wont start.

it will only start if you tow it or pusy start it kicking it over does no good. the guy i got it fron said its the crank seal.

does that sound right?? what else shoud i check while i have it all apart

thanks guys ill get pics up soon

josh

Dinner
03-20-2008, 12:48 AM
Check your compression, clean your carbs (check your jetting while you have them apart) and check to make sure you have good spark and air flow.

If I remember correctly if you have a blown /leaking crank seal, you would be sucking in case/tranny fluid into the cylinders.

99banshee
03-24-2008, 09:35 PM
You are right u would be gettin crank oil in the cylinders! But it should still try to start up even if it was a crank seal. One of my friends had a atc250r that had a blown crank seal and it would still start fine using the kick but was suckin crank oil like crazy into the cylinder.

Dinner
03-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Yea, It could be something as simple as choke crossover tube, dirty carbs, pilot jet (used for starting, so check what # this jet is) or the other things I have mentioned..

quad9
03-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by flint250trx
well i picked up an 01 moded banshee today. traded my 250r for it and the thing wont start.

it will only start if you tow it or pusy start it kicking it over does no good. the guy i got it fron said its the crank seal.

does that sound right?? what else shoud i check while i have it all apart

thanks guys ill get pics up soon

josh

if it is the left crank seal that is leaking YES it wont start, it will suck in air and be very lean. if that is the case DO NOT run the engine. you will blow it up.
you need to do a compression test, and a leak down test. the leak down test will tell you if it has bad crank seals.

Dinner
03-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by quad9
if it is the left crank seal that is leaking YES it wont start, it will suck in air and be very lean. if that is the case DO NOT run the engine. you will blow it up.
you need to do a compression test, and a leak down test. the leak down test will tell you if it has bad crank seals.

The engine will still start if you having a leaky crank seal. Now if the seal was completely gone then it may have trouble. However if the seal is leaking a little bit..it will still run and you will be able to notice oil in the exhaust pipe on the left hand side.

quad9
03-27-2008, 06:30 AM
the left crank seal is not going to let oil in. that is the stator side.
and yes if it is leaking it will suck in air, and run VERY lean. causing a had start problem. but like i said befor a leak down test is what needs to be done to be sure what the problem is.

rigger
03-27-2008, 05:39 PM
I just bought a 2000 Banshee, still on the stock motor and good compression. My Choke assembly was worn bad and it would not cold start unless I put a little gas right on the filter. Then it would spark just a bit and then she would fire right up.

I replaced my worn choke assembly for like $25 and now she starts great. Just a couple of kicks and she fires right off.

My old one compared to the new one was worn badly. Would not stay pulled out. The o-ring was flat and srunk some on it and it was some what groved out too. Not saying this is your problem but it was on mine.

Might want to check the choke out. If it is that, it is a really easy fix.