PDA

View Full Version : Houser balljoints??

f4istunna
03-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Im going to order new balljoints for the wifes LT housers while theyre getting Powdercoat since a few boots are torn.

The uppers are VW bug tie rod ends right?

what about the lowers they look to be pressed in. Where can i get the replacements for them?

I could probably get away w/ just changing the boots, since the balljoints are still tight. Can you get the boots at autoparts too?:confused:

400exrider707
03-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Housers are one of the few arms that DO NOT use the VW tie rod ends. I have yet to be able to locate a place to purchase these other than Houser parts. Houser sells them direct, also motorsportoutlet sells them as well. I would go through motosportoutlet myself. Do NOT get the VW tie rod ends, they are incorrect. You'll see they are a straight design if you will. Where as your and my housers are at an angle. Houser uses angled balljoints and straight arms, where as others use the straight balljoints and where they mount to the arm is welded at an angle. Let me know if you do find them anywhere!

f4istunna
03-20-2008, 02:08 PM
thanks for the info i would have gotten the VW balljoints lol.

What kinda price are you getting these for?

Can you just buy and replace the boots?

Fast 51
03-20-2008, 07:29 PM
I am needing to replace my ball joints on my old style laeger a-arms and it sounds like that I could use the VW tie rod ends.Can someone please tell me a part # or what year of VW to get if there is a difference.I have a race this weekend and would love to get them changed before then.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Aceman
03-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by f4istunna
thanks for the info i would have gotten the VW balljoints lol.

What kinda price are you getting these for?

Can you just buy and replace the boots?

I was getting nailed $55 for a ball joint and $10 for each boot from Houser. I've never found a generic replacement at an auto parts store either, FYI the Mazda tie rod ends also do not work. But, last time I replaced a lower I wrote down the bearing info for the next time I was going to buy them.

To be clear this was for the lower ball joint:
Aurora USA AIB-10TS-1

You can find the Aurora Bearing Co on the internet and see if they'll sell them to you unless they only make them specifically to sell to Houser. Like I said, I haven't needed any more yet so I haven't tried it...

I bet the uppers are made by Aurora also, but I did not see any numbers stamped on them.:ermm:

400exrider707
03-21-2008, 08:28 PM
For those of you using the 14mm VW tie rod ends for your balljoints, we've always ordered 1969 VW beetle tie rod ends from advanced auto, they run around $15.

NacsMXer
03-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by f4istunna
Im going to order new balljoints for the wifes LT housers while theyre getting Powdercoat since a few boots are torn.

The uppers are VW bug tie rod ends right?

what about the lowers they look to be pressed in. Where can i get the replacements for them?

I could probably get away w/ just changing the boots, since the balljoints are still tight. Can you get the boots at autoparts too?:confused:

For the boots if you go to Autozone, they have a small selection of polyurethane boots from Energy Suspension, very high quality boots. I had some dry rotted boots I needed to replace but the ones at Autozone weren't the right size, so I ended up ordering the right size from Jeg's Racing. Just passing along the info if it may help...

Here's a pic, they offer many different sizes/styles for these boots, visit this page for the correct sizing information: http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/tie_r.html

http://www.ultrarev.com/files/images/product_thumbnail/t_38703.jpg

f4istunna
03-21-2008, 08:56 PM
hey thanks for the info ill check those out. Those are the boots i need mainly all 4 of the "cap" boots. The upper heim is good and the lower balljoint boot seems to be in good shape after further inspection, just the other boot is beat up